Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A day after revealing a secret meeting between Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, David Stickland, head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne, the NHTSA confirmed that Mr. Strickland will meet with Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the Center for Auto Safety, and Jenelle Embrey, who witnessed an October 25, 2012 accident in which a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's fuel tank ruptured after it was rear-ended by a tractor-trailer doing 60-plus miles per hour. The Jeep was stopped in a traffic jam caused by construction. Two of the passengers in the Grand Cherokee died in the ensuing fire. Traumatized by the event, Ms. Embrey has since launched a campaign to have the Jeeps recalled, calling them unsafe. Mr. Ditlow and Ms. Embrey are critical of the agreement reached by the government and Chrysler Group. Mr. Ditlow wants the NHTSA to crash-test the proposed remedy, saying..

View the original, full post

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

A day after revealing a secret meeting between Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, David Stickland, head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne, the NHTSA confirmed that Mr. Strickland will meet with Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the Center for Auto Safety, and Jenelle Embrey, who witnessed an October 25, 2012 accident in which a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's fuel tank ruptured after it was rear-ended by a tractor-trailer doing 60-plus miles per hour. The Jeep was stopped in a traffic jam caused by construction. Two of the passengers in the Grand Cherokee died in the ensuing fire. Traumatized by the event, Ms. Embrey has since launched a campaign to have the Jeeps recalled, calling them unsafe. Mr. Ditlow and Ms. Embrey are critical of the agreement reached by the government and Chrysler Group. Mr. Ditlow wants the NHTSA to crash-test the proposed remedy, saying..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I wanna know what level of raging moron do you have to be to blame a Jeep for causing the death of two people when it was rear ended at 60+ by a freaking 18 wheeler. Where are the people blaming the truck manufacturer? Where are the overregulation nut jobs screaming for more automatic emergency brake blah blah blah on big trucks? Silence not a freakin peep. This whole situation has gone beyond stupidWho ever this Mrs Embry is someone needs to tell her to go sit in the corner and shut the heck up till she gets a clue. At this point if I was Sergio id cancel the recall tell em all screw you ill see ya in court. Im mean really this is like a mugger killing his victim then the witness has the victims parents arrested for not giving birth to Superman!
Sorry rant over

Edit: Here is the idiots twitter page
https://twitter.com/JenelleEmbrey

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
On the consumer stage, perception trumps truth.
And activist with a political,agenda let no crisis go unexploited....

·
Registered
2,978 Posts

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Some people just hate SUVs....period.

There is an agenda and money behind this.

Reactions: dana44

·
Registered
754 Posts
Question: are they going to retest at 1998 crash test standards, or by today's standards?
Big difference, and no telling which way they'll go.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Some people just hate SUVs....period.

There is an agenda and money behind this.
At the very least - an agenda.

I'm on record as protesting the protest, and am crafting a response to send to the parties involved.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I am going to go Protest God, Laws of Physics need to be repealed.

So the new survivability standard is a 60 mph hit from a Tractor Trailer. Why not outlaw driving all together

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
TripleT said:
I am going to go Protest God, Laws of Physics need to be repealed.

So the new survivability standard is a 60 mph hit from a Tractor Trailer. Why not outlaw driving all together
How about outlawing road construction traffic jams!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds to me after reading her story that it was just an awful accident that could have happened to anyone, anytime in any car. I would be thankful that the Jeep withstood the damage and at least gave the occupants the chance to get out. It is unfortunate that the truck hit it so hard that the tank ruptured. That could happen on any car even with todays safety features on todays cars.
What I don't see is what about the truck driver? Was he given a drunk driving test, or any kind of ticket? How about the safety of the truck to prevent that again?
To me there are still too many questions to be going after just Chrysler alone.
Sounds like those in the government officials that did not believe Chrysler should be bailed out see a chance to go after the company.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
It about who has the deepest pocket to sue. Apparently, Jeep give those a litigious nature a better target.

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
"Government getting out of hand" -- the Center for Auto Safety is a private group.

Side note, I would have ignored him completely. The CAS is not, in my opinion, a reasonable or sound group.

I am still wondering why they did not pull the rear passengers out through the functional front doors?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ditlow is doing this so he can run around to his like minded friends and crow about how "powerful and influential he is". He is nothing but a whiny little nobody. I would only agree to the new test if these two idiots agreed to be the crash test dummies!!!!!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts