Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Every year, the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department tests every automaker's pursuit cars in both highway and city environments, to give departments across the country an idea of each car's strengths and weaknesses. The Michigan State Police have similar tests, without the city driving simulation, and with some differences in how the tests are conducted. According to Norm Layton, the fastest lap time was held by the Dodge Charger Hemi, running around the track in 1:22.38. The fastest Caprice lap was at 1:23.71, and the fastest Ford AWD time was 1:24.49. The times are all close together, and the average 32-lap times (not expected to be available for some time) might show a different order. There are often variations in lap times between drivers and cars, and from lap to lap. Ford triumphed in stopping distances, a reversal of years when the Crown Victoria turned in the longest stops, with..

View the original, full post

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
As per the article: it will be interesting what the LAPD has planned................

·
Registered
1 Posts
The fear factor with the Charger in the rear view mirror can't be beat. People just don't have the respect for the Caprice/Impala or Taurus. I've heard kids say "don't even try to outrun the Charger". A solid black Charger with black spotlights is just awesome, and frightening. It looks fast just sitting still.

·
Administrator
35,244 Posts
That's true. I don't know if that's really the image the police are striving for. "To protect and to serve." but if it prevents foolishness, I'm all for it.

In the end, the Chevy and Dodge seem pretty much even -- they are very close in performance times and basic concept/architecture. Big freakin' surprise given that GM has been copying Chrysler for the last 20 years. The Ford is about the same as the others but you have to get the turbo engine which I can't see as being a clever choice for police cars -- but the AWD is a plus IMHO. I don't know what the gas mileage is on all these cars. Maybe MSP or LASD will publish it. So it'll come down to cost, ergonomics, and the fleet buyer's personal preference in many cases, (OK, it'll come down to the buyer's prejudice, then cost, then ergonomics), where gas mileage is not an issue.

The Dodge requires midgrade fuel with the Hemi, not sure about the Chevy V8. That might be an issue along with the oddball oil grade requirement (again not sure about Chevy. I woudl assume the Ford requires premium and a special oil with more frequent changes.)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The Charger photographs really well!!! Thanks to the photographer.

Nice to hear positive comments about the Dodge customer support and that the Charger is gaining rep for durability.

All I can say is I'm still thrilled with my 08 AWD Charger....so if the new ones are better, then that's great!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts