Allpar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Durango has met or beaten its top competitors in gas mileage, according to U.S. government figures. With its standard V6 and eight-speed automatic transmission, the 2014 Dodge Durango achieved 18 mpg city, 25 highway, matching Chrysler’s own minivans and beating the smaller Ford Explorer (FWD) and Chevrolet Traverse (FWD). In all wheel drive, Durango drops down to 17 city, 24 highway, while Ford falls to 16/22 or 17/23 depending on model; and Traverse drops to 16/23. The 2013 Dodge Durango was rated at two miles per gallon less — 16 city, 23 highway. The Durango’s 290 horsepower matches Explorer and beats the other competitors; its 260 lb-ft of torque is only exceeded by Traverse and beats Explorer. The Durango is heavier, though, than any of the other vehicles in the comparison group, weighing in at nearly 5,000 pounds, but it has the highest towing capacity by at least 2,000..

View the original, full post

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
The new Durango was a solid vehicle on it's own. But the 2014 tweaks do so much. Make it much more handsome (the rear of the vehicle looks MUCH better to me). Brings MPG right in line with all large Crossovers, and no doubt be helped by the new transmission in driveability.
Market this thing!

Also, the new minivan (I'd really like to make that plural!) will undoubtedly see a nice boost the the 9 spd transmission. Funny when the Ram 1500 and Durango start matching minivan fuel economy. Actually, it's worth noting that the Durango actually gets 1 better city MPG than the minivan!! The minivan is rated for 17 city MPG.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Great job on the '14 refresh, Mr. Ralph Gilles! Now lets get to work on that SRT I know you want just as much as I do! (I heard about the customized---or more correctly "SRT"-ized Durango you invited to the LX Springfest in Irvine back in March, that you liked so much you offered to buy from the owner) So, since I know YOU want one, and theres plenty of current and potential Durango owners who want one; lets try and convince Mr. Marchionne to let you guys up at SRT build one!!!

(I know im just pissin in the wind here, but i figure, it cant hurt to try...)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
billfrombuckhead said:
They need to advertise this, Durango has a terrible reputation as a gas pig but is far more desirable than the Explorer.
Marketing.
Wow....what a concept.

(you can bet that John Q. Public will never be aware of this......heck the new Durango is just NOW starting to catch on)

·
Registered
149 Posts
unverferth said:
Marketing.
Wow....what a concept.

(you can bet that John Q. Public will never be aware of this......heck the new Durango is just NOW starting to catch on)
I agree! people need to hear about this!

I was just at both Disneyland and Legoland with my family in the past 2 months and i was struck by the sheer volume of minivans and SUV's i saw in the parking lots at both of these places. The parking lots were just completely full of them. very few sedans and small cars. And every single dad that i saw get into or drive off in a minivan nearby me after seeing me and my family load up in our Durango RT just gave me this look of jealousy followed by defeat.

If theres anywhere that needs some Durango marketting; its places like that!

Its not the soccer moms that buy Durangos; its the husbands of the soccer moms that have to convince their spouse to get the Durango, so their wife can have the same utility of the minivan, while the husband can have the fun to drive handling of a powerful, rwd (or rwd biased awd) vehicle when they have to drive it.

·
Mopar Guru!
12,767 Posts

I have to laugh. The Durango has a great reputation, but I totally agree on the gas pig ordeal. When I bought my 2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4X4 back in 2004, it had 75,000 miles on it and I remember thinking how the hell am I going to afford gas at $1.89.9/gal here in Metro Detroit. I drove the truck solid until Feburary 2012. It has 176,000 miles on it. Because I needed a car for good gas mileage because I drove a lot for work that Durango wasn't cutting it for me. So I looked at the Avenger, 200, and even Charger. But all the cars were overpriced for the options at the time, I am a tall guy and my knees hit the center counsole in the Avenger and 200, and I was looking for just a mileage car to get to point A to point B. So I bought a fully loaded 2010 Mercury Milan Premier I-4 for $16,000 w/ 22,000 miles on it in Feburary 2012. The Durango just sat in the side yard for almost a whole year. Two months ago, I went out to AutoZone, got a new battery and put the thing in and the truck cranked over no problem. Yeah, she has body cancer (front bumper is rusted through, a few rust spots in under the paint, however the hatch has very little rust considering she has been only garaged for three days of her whole life in Michigan weather). But that truck is the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. I will never get rid of it. The first generation of Durangos were amazing. I have the 4.7L and multi-speed auto (only offered in 2000) and either has given me any problems. Yeah the 4.7L has a little knock just like most other 4.7Ls, but she runs great. Fuel mileage does suck anywhere from 9 to 12 on short trips. Trips up north w/ cruise control on 75mph (75mph cruise always gets better mpg than 70mph w/ the multi-speed auto because it runs lower rpm at 75mph), I would get almost 20mpg.

When I bought my Durango, I bought it because I was a diehard and still am fan of the 1981-1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer and the Durango reminded me a lot of it. I know the new Durango has a simple electronic AWD system and I will miss the 1st generation's "Shift on the Fly" Wrangler sourced 4X4 case w/ low gear. But more people drive on pavement than gravel and offroad anyways. I loved the 2011 Dodge Durango when it came out. Vince Galante did an amazing job styling the truck. But it was just missing some flare. Now, the 2014 model year has the "race track taillamps" w/ 192 LEDs, standard padal shifters and 8-speed auto, optional 8.4 UConnect, and amazing refreshened front end. I am not in the market for a car right now, the Durango is on top of my choice for a replacement for my Milan. I already have 60,000 miles on her and average fuel economy is 28mpg w/ 2.5L I-4 and the crappiest transmission I have ever driven (6-speed automatic). It is a dog. If I can only justify 20-23mpg highway in an AWD Durango and be more comfortable and know I can go through the snow like nothing... I am there.

redriderbob

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
redriderbob - The last years of that generation Durango & Dakota have a fully plastic front bumper that doesn't rust like those did. Our '98 Dakota front bumper rusted the same as your Durango bumper, but our '04 Dakota was fine.

I loved that Durango as well.

·
Registered
482 Posts
While I love the power of the Hemi, I'd probably take the 3.0 first. Close to 30 mpg would be tough to turn down in an AWD SUV.

·
Registered
149 Posts
MoparMantis said:
While I love the power of the Hemi, I'd probably take the 3.0 first. Close to 30 mpg would be tough to turn down in an AWD SUV.
^^^ +1

And I bet the city mileage would increase significantly! I would love to get my hands one as well, if they decided to make it an option.

Does anyone know if the VM diesel uses urea?

·
Mopar Guru!
12,767 Posts
SUNBURNTsnype said:
^^^ +1

And I bet the city mileage would increase significantly! I would love to get my hands one as well, if they decided to make it an option.

Does anyone know if the VM diesel uses urea?

The Italian-built EcoDiesel V6 meets global emissions standards thanks to the use of urea after-treatment and a particulate filter; the 8.5-gallon tank of urea should last about 10,000 miles, meaning you'll need to replenish it at the same time you change the oil.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,104 Posts
billfrombuckhead said:
They need to advertise this, Durango has a terrible reputation as a gas pig but is far more desirable than the Explorer.
The original Durango did a lot to sour its MPG image.

·
Registered
62 Posts
jerseyjoe said:
The original Durango did a lot to sour its MPG image.
definitely,specially with the R/T. Dodge definitely needs to advertise this more as most people don`t even know it`s being made again. I can say for a fact though,is that dodge must be selling more right now than they thought they would. They are having to farm out stamping processes all the way down to south carolina just to keep up with sales(ram 1500 also)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I sure like my 2012 Durango w/ 3.6l, after only 2 months my mileage is quite a bit better than the 2008 GC. 22 - 24 on trips, averaging 18 - probably when it gets warmer my average should come up considerably. When I test drove the Durango the first part of November, it got 26 mpg.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts