Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At long last Ford finally announced the EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings for the F-150 pickup equipped with the 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine and a six-speed automatic transmission. The new, aluminum-bodied pickup has been rated at 19 mpg City, 26 mpg Highway …

Continue reading...

·
What color are the clouds in your world?
30,506 Posts
Before people start cheering and celebrating, everyone of you had better stop and think.

Remember the 10speed coming from the Ford and GM jv. They have been working on it for 4 years now IIRC.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Before people start cheering and celebrating, everyone of you had better stop and think.

Remember the 10speed coming from the Ford and GM jv. They have been working on it for 4 years now IIRC.
Very true. However, I bet Ford was hoping to take the crown now. Hehe

·
Registered
694 Posts
Bout time Ram starts considering Aluminum bodies for their trucks.

Reactions: guyverfanatic

·
30,506 Posts

·
30,506 Posts
who said they are not doing a damn site more than just " start considering"?

·
Registered
765 Posts

They'r doing that with a 2.7 liter turbo. To me, the Pentstar is a more appealing set up, even with the lower gas mileage. Ram must be working on something to improve mileage. They're not just sitting on their hands.

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
Guess you have missed all the aluminum discussions we have had here.

Mike

·
30,506 Posts
They'r doing that with a 2.7 liter turbo. To me, the Pentstar is a more appealing set up, even with the lower gas mileage. Ram must be working on something to improve mileage. They're not just sitting on their hands.
Of course. I emphasised that when I talked about what depends on Wrangler.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Very true. However, I bet Ford was hoping to take the crown now. Hehe
Marketing will spin it as "best MPG for an American truck made of aluminum" or just best F series ever. Joe [person who likes a particular brand] will drink the kool-aid and repeat Ford has the best MPG out there.

Reactions: finc.jb

·
Registered
694 Posts
who said they are not doing a damn site more than just " start considering"?
I haven't read anything stating otherwise, besides that it was part of the entire equation of what's being considered.

Guess you have missed all the aluminum discussions we have had here.
No I've seen the discussions surrounding the Wrangler. I was simply stating that the Ram may be a better vehicle to start with if Ford is getting this type of mileage gains from their offering. Add in the 10 speed and a possible diesel option of their own and Ram will be left far behind.

·
30,506 Posts
Marketing will spin it as "best MPG for an American truck made of aluminum" or just best F series ever. Joe [person who likes a particular brand] will drink the kool-aid and repeat Ford has the best MPG out there.
Probably. And as far as the "best F150 ever" goes.....I give them that. They took a chance and they done good.

But as Mal Reynolds used to say "the wheel never stops turning Badger".

Reactions: MoparDanno

·
30,506 Posts
I haven't read anything stating otherwise, besides that it was part of the entire equation of what's being considered.

No I've seen the discussions surrounding the Wrangler. I was simply stating that the Ram may be a better vehicle to start with if Ford is getting this type of mileage gains from their offering. Add in the 10 speed and a possible diesel option of their own and Ram will be left far behind.
..and you aint going to see in print either until it is to P1 at the earliest.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
They'll of course advertise it as the most fuel efficient gas pickup, leaving the Ram Diesel out of the competition. The new article does some selective journalism in comparing it to the diesel for mileage but compares the V6's on price, just like most commercials do that we hate so much. Isn't the base price of the Diesel about $30,000?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
At long last Ford finally announced the EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings for the F-150 pickup equipped with the 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine and a six-speed automatic transmission. The new, aluminum-bodied pickup has been rated at 19 mpg City, 26 mpg Highway …

Continue reading...
I leaked this in another thread, several days ago. The Ford reps were pretty tight lipped and kept repeating, "It's the best F-Series fuel economy ever" .
Seriously, who wants a 2.7 liter truck! I wouldn't want a 2.7 liter anything.
Ford's 10 speed doesn't appear to be as fuel efficient as the Torqueflight 8, but it likely won't have the teething problems of the 9 speed. However the jump from 6 speeds to 10 means ram needs to keep working to be the best. Ford's stated goal is to have the first pickup certified for 30 mpg. I hope Ram beats them. In all of this talk, Chevy becomes irrelevant, so you know they are also hard at work and will share the 10 speed with Ford.
The problem with the GM transmissions is they are already exceedingly long, with only 6 speeds, so a clean sheet of paper was needed. Expect the Ford /GM offering to be formidable.

Reactions: guyverfanatic

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
You are assuming that Ram has not potentially made considerations for Al. The next Ram is still quite a ways away.

Mike

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
For now, Ram is still best in class, enjoy it while you can. Nothing wrong with that, otherwise none of us would ever have a reason to be happy because we would spend all of our time looking over our shoulder. I'll let Ram engineers take care of their business, as a fan I will cheer victories and this is one of those times. I remember some people on here saying that Ford would possibly take the crown back. Ram is still the best in fuel economy.

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
Uh, that little 2.7L is packing 325hp/375tq.
It wallops the 3.6L Pentastar in the Ram in every aspect from what I can see. Power/Towing/FE for not much more in price.
I don't know guys, I think the F-150 2.7L looks like a winner.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts