Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Reuters is quoting Il Corriere della Sera as saying Suzuki representatives met with Fiat-Chrysler management at the introduction of the new Lancia Ypsilon earlier this week. Reuters noted that no sources were cited in the Italian newspaper article and no mention was made of the subject of the meeting. If the rumor is true, it would be a major reversal of Fiat's earlier position. On May 9, 2009, when Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne was discussing a possible merger with Opel and the Chrysler alliance had yet to be finalized, he dismissed any tie-up with the Japanese automaker, saying, "Smettiamola, queste sono cavolate" or "Let us stop, they are foolish things." (For a more precise translation of "cavolate" click here.) Furthermore, it's hard to see what Suzuki might bring to the table, other than perhaps increased access to the Japanese/Asia-Pacific region. Suzuki has a small U.S. dealer network and sold..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Interesting...

I will say that I was impressed with the Kizashi

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Suzuki is already tied up with VW don't see why Chrysler/Fiat would need them unless Suzuki wants to tie up again on SX4 replacement

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Suzuki is already tied up with VW don't see why Chrysler/Fiat would need them unless Suzuki wants to tie up again on SX4 replacement
VW already has put forth 20% ownership I believe. Agreed with above comment, that it's probably just discussing the Suz SX4 / Fiat Sedici future, and the plant in Hungary.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
VW already has put forth 20% ownership I believe. Agreed with above comment, that it's probably just discussing the Suz SX4 / Fiat Sedici future, and the plant in Hungary.
Seems clear enough.

Mike

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Their in house cars have been really good cars. Tracker and Metro sold thru Chevy dealers were the best built (though not well equipped) cars that you could get on a GM lot. Logical, workable layout, as I once rebuilt a Metro 3 banger including a ball hone of the bores, new pistons, and bearings and crank starting at 5PM and finished and running at 2AM. Never took the motor out of the car fully. :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
heres something i thought would be cool.
volkswagen fails to turn around seat begins to shut it down. suzuki says we will take it off your hands if you give up the 20% ownership (since volkswagen considers seat a negative asset). suzuki disapears from spain and portugal. instead selling the suzukis as seats. later down the road funded by suzukis strength in india they begin to develop a range like citroens new ds range for seat and continue selling the rebadged suzukis as seats. they then spread that ds range across the world as the regular seat brand thats in my fantasy world though.
what were we talking about again

·
Registered
822 Posts
The Italian press is reporting that Suzuki is unhappy with their association with VW. Apparently VW is treating them as the poor relations and they feel that VW is not interested in a true partnership. The press is implying that Suzuki may be looking at terminating the agreement with VW and entering into a partnership with FIAT/Chrysler.

·
Registered
618 Posts
back from my dreams and i simply wanna ask how does it benefit us. that may seem a bit selfish but a tie up with suzuki could complicate and slow things at one of the most critical points in chrysler and fiats growth. while further access to asia is valuable and they have a succesful venture in india it is lacking heavily in china. as i wrote that i thought "what if they are talking about distributing fiats in india". thats not whats going on based on what tryphon is saying but it is possible. back to the main point what technology does suzuki have that we dont?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The Italian press is reporting that Suzuki is unhappy with their association with VW. Apparently VW is treating them as the poor relations and they feel that VW is not interested in a true partnership. The press is implying that Suzuki may be looking at terminating the agreement with VW and entering into a partnership with FIAT/Chrysler.
That would be the only way "Superior" German automakers know how to treat a "partner" wouldn't it?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
No don't tell me not the Germans they would never look down on an alliance partner lol

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,384 Posts
Doesn't GM already have a longstanding relationship with Suzuki for small vehicles? If I'm not mistaken, the Aveo, sorry, Sonic, is a rebadged Suzuki. So was the Swift/Metro/Sprint... and the Tracker...

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Doesn't GM already have a longstanding relationship with Suzuki for small vehicles? If I'm not mistaken, the Aveo, sorry, Sonic, is a rebadged Suzuki. So was the Swift/Metro/Sprint... and the Tracker...
Last Aveo and current Sonic are from GM Daewoo I think the GM tie-up with Suzuki is done

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
The Suzuki Fun - based on the Chevy Celta (itself based on the GM4200 platform that appeared in 1983) is sold in Venezula.
The Suzuki Verona (along with the Canada-sold Chevy Epica) was based on the Daewoo Magnus, previously known as the Leganza. The Daweoo model will be replaced with the new Chevy Malibu outside North America.
The Suzuki Forenza and Reno were based on the Daewoo Lacetti, previously sold here as the Daewoo Nubira. It's sold in China as the Buick Excelle.
The Suzuki Swift+ sold in Canada was based on the Daewoo Kalos, sold here as the Chevy Aveo and Pontiac G3.
The Suzuki XL7 was based on the Chevy Equinox/Saturn Vue, and production was halted back in 2009. It was the only "Theta" model to have 3-row seating.

In today's North American offerings:
The Suzuki Grand Vitara is also based on GM Theta, but apparently is not considered a "Theta" model like the XL7.
The Suzuki Equator is based on the Nissan Frontier.
The Suzuki SX4 is based on the Fiat Sedici.
The Suzuki Kizashi is...it's own vehicle.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
The Kizashi is actually loosely based on a GM platform Epsillon I if I'm not mistaken

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
The Kizashi is actually loosely based on a GM platform Epsillon I if I'm not mistaken
Any vehicle loosely based on any platform, may fall off during assembly... :huh:

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Any vehicle loosely based on any platform, may fall off during assembly... :huh:
Yep that pretty much sums up any Daewoo based vehicle lol!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
It was originally plane to happen like that, but the Suzuki-GM love affair crumbled around the time development started.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
This could be intresting for the dodge dealer..
Sell one Ram to the farmer
one Charger to wifie
one motorcycle to oldest son (suz)
one snowmobile (artic cat) to youngest son
one outboard to granpa (suz)
one atv to sister (artco or suz)
and finally a new tractor! (cnh)
All in one deal at the same dealer.
Oh i forgot..
one semi to haul everything home. (Iveco)
Mother is already part of rather large industri wich now could be expanded
into recreational segments.
Oh i forgot once more..
one Fiat 500 to mother.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
This could be intresting for the dodge dealer..
Sell one Ram to the farmer
one Charger to wifie
one motorcycle to oldest son (suz)
one snowmobile (artic cat) to youngest son
one outboard to granpa (suz)
one atv to sister (artco or suz)
and finally a new tractor! (cnh)
All in one deal at the same dealer.
Oh i forgot..
one semi to haul everything home. (Iveco)
Mother is already part of rather large industri wich now could be expanded
into recreational segments.
Oh i forgot once more..
one Fiat 500 to mother.
Sounds like what Honda does. Lawnmowers, outboards, generators, etc...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts