Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

With work on the 2014 Jeep Cherokee’s innovative and complex 4x4 system still reportedly ongoing, one observer now expects the first Cherokees to be front wheel drive (FWD) models. While perhaps a dent to the car’s credibility in off-road circles, starting with the simpler FWD configuration would simplify production and provide more time to put the 4x4 through its paces. Jeep has taken pride on the durability of its cars in off-road use, and problems which may not surface during normal “snow, ice, sand, and dirt” running, but could be a problem in more severe tests, are being taken seriously. There have been some reports that engineers are still squashing the last durability issues from pre-production cars — not issues that would be encountered by “ordinary” customers, but items that could affect serious Jeepers. Running FWD cars first would help fill the pipeline and get Cherokee out to customers, while..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
This launch (and others) are becoming a cluster&$%!

Reactions: drew54

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
As long as automatics are available at launch (unlike Dart) they will sell.

·
Registered
530 Posts
abgwin said:
As long as automatics are available at launch (unlike Dart) they will sell.
Seeing as there was no manual option IIRC, I don't think that will be a problem. I don't know enough about the auto industry to know this, but is this common with other manufacturers?

I wonder how many people buy a "4x4" Patriot/Compass vs a FWD Patriot/Compass...

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
This launch (and others) are becoming a cluster&$%!
Becoming??!

I think we are well past that!

Mike

Reactions: drew54

·
Registered
435 Posts
SouthPawXJ said:
SouthPawXJ, on 30 May 2013 - 3:14 PM, said:
I don't know enough about the auto industry to know this, but is this common with other manufacturers?
I don't think most other manufacturer's build a completely new car, with two new engines, a completely new transmission, and a completely new 4x4 system.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Since "serious Jeepers" (to quote the News Feed) won't be buying these, they may as well just start building them as is in AWD and not worry about the Trailhawk and the trail rating.
One could argue that this could have been a rebody of the AWD Journey for a lot less money.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I will note that, according to the Automotive Press Association, the "drive event" for journalists to try the Cherokee won't be held until August 4-14 in Seattle.
That drive event is well after the start of production.
Highly unusual.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
lvelleq (o)llllll(o) said:
I will note that, according to the Automotive Press Association, the "drive event" for journalists to try the Cherokee won't be held until August 4-14 in Seattle.
That drive event is well after the start of production.
Highly unusual.
Seattle?

Make sure you stop in and say Hi if you are coming to that Larry :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
"Jeep has taken pride on the durability of its cars in off road use...."

That snippet points out one of Jeeps main problems. They should not be building cars they should be building Jeeps.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Stomper said:
"Jeep has taken pride on the durability of its cars in off road use...."

That snippet points out one of Jeeps main problems. They should not be building carsthey should be building Jeeps.
I don't think it's possible for Jeep to just build ultimate off road vehicles. Like it or not, they most likely need the Barbie Jeeps to stay afloat.

·
Registered
508 Posts
gezco said:
I don't think it's possible for Jeep to just build ultimate off road vehicles. Like it or not, they most likely need the Barbie Jeeps to stay afloat.
Seems that it is easier to "soften up" an great off road vehicle than "toughen up" a sedan though. They sell every Wrangler they produce and could sell even more if the capacity was available.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
*sigh*

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Remember that when FIAT got involved with Chrysler, they had lost a large number of engineering and production staff that has not and never will return. They also implemented an entirely new set of processing controls, totally changed plants around and put in major new production facilities. Then to introduce entirely new platforms and make major changes to every body, engine, transmission/axle assemblies and to have as few major "issues" as they have had is remarkable. The only major issue seems to be slow output of new models (not including some marketing that could have been better) making ramp up take a long time. For a really lean company, that is not that bad.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
gezco said:
That's funny since even Barbie only drives the ultimate off-road Jeep!

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
gezco said:
This falsehood keeps being repeated, so it should be noted, XJ, TJ, JK and ZJ and WJ, all made multiples of profit, more than WK, Compass, Patriot and Liberty combined.
I really wish that PR spin baloney would stop, but it's been ingrained into every Chrysler Spokeshole I talk to and it needs to stop, it isn't true.

68RT said:
Remember that when FIAT got involved with Chrysler, they had lost a large number of engineering and production staff that has not and never will return. They also implemented an entirely new set of processing controls, totally changed plants around and put in major new production facilities. Then to introduce entirely new platforms and make major changes to every body, engine, transmission/axle assemblies and to have as few major "issues" as they have had is remarkable. The only major issue seems to be slow output of new models (not including some marketing that could have been better) making ramp up take a long time. For a really lean company, that is not that bad.
There is a lot of truth in that, however unfortunately, the end product isn't a Jeep. I'd be happier with a re-bodied Journey that bore a Jeep nameplate, than a re-bodied Alfa that takes this much work, expense and publicity flak.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think they should push back the launch to about, well, um......Never. What a turd product that gets uglier by the day (that applies to appearance and development).

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yea, they REALLY need to tell the guy in charge of giving "release" information to the press to take a loooong vacation. My great-grandpa's bum knee did a more accurate job forcasting the weather than Chrysler does in forcasting releases.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts