Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As part of a longer video involving the Motor Trend Viper-vs-Vette comparisons, SRT chief Ralph Gilles said that the SRT Barracuda is still a few years out, and would appear on a different platform than the Challenger: The new Barracuda will share its platform architecture with an all-new 5 Series-sized Alfa Romeo sedan that will be a key car for the relaunch of the Alfa brand in the U.S. ... by 2016. I’m betting the Barracuda will also appear around that timeframe. Pure speculation, but both cars may have been pushed back because the Fiat Group is bleeding in Europe due to the collapse of the market there and Marchionne is trying to conserve money. Allpar has, last year, pointed out that there were several options for Barracuda, but that the most likely was to be the Chrysler version of a shared-with-Alfa-Romeo midsized rear-wheel-drive setup. The two cars would,..

View the original, full post

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Nice! This vindicates many of us who said the same thing, last year. ;)
Build location will be interesting.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
So the Challenger stays does that position the Barracuda as the SRT only beast or maybe a FR-S/BRZ fighter for Dodge?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Jeepnut said:
So the Challenger stays does that position the Barracuda as the SRT only beast or maybe a FR-S/BRZ fighter for Dodge?
Well the FRS and BRZ are cheap and they're listed as a compact class vehicle correct?

If it's based on the Alfa sedan that is Midsized (5 series like size) I don't see it being that small. Or that affordable. A hardtop version of the Alfa Duetto or Spider or whatever they end up calling it will probably be that place in the market place. But I'm sure it'll be at least a large coupe competitor.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
re: Susan's artwork

Excellent as always, but just wondering about the DODGE on the rear sicne the current marketing is that SRT is the "make".
If I remember correctly, the SRT Vin codes still correspond to whoever makes the original make. So even the new Viper still has a Dodge style vin. Ram still has a Dodge style vin. But I honestly don't remember if that changed.

I would imagine the new Barrarcuda (if that's what it's to be called) will have it's own rear. Probably a throw back to the old Cuda. But we shall see once it gets here.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Ram has its own VIN now. Code "R".

SRT has their own too. The only real SRT however is the Viper. The rest are Jeeps, Dodges and Chryslers.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Bj Kline said:
So does Challenger stay?
Yes. Next GEN will show up at New York next year.

MoparNorm said:
Nice! This vindicates many of us who said the same thing, last year. ;)
Build location will be interesting.
Looks like you were right, Barracuda will ride on an entirely different platform and also be smaller - maybe 370Z-ish?

·
Super Moderator
36,933 Posts
My 2012 Challenger has a "Chrysler" VIN rather than a Dodge VIN.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Best video I've watched in Youtube in a long time. Every time I hear Ralph speak, it makes me want to apply for a job with SRT... 'cept I don't have any skills that would apply.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
srt4evah said:
Best video I've watched in Youtube in a long time. Every time I hear Ralph speak, it makes me want to apply for a job with SRT... 'cept I don't have any skills that would apply.
How about future product tester id take that job

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
valiant67 said:
My 2012 Challenger has a "Chrysler" VIN rather than a Dodge VIN.
My 2010 Dodge Journey starts "3C", and the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan is "1D"... 2000 Chrysler Neon was "1C".

First digit is country of origin, US=1, CA=2, MX=3

2nd digit used to be Dodge D, Chrysler C, Jeep J, and Plymouth B

Not sure when that changed, or if it is consistent at all anymore.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts