Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ralph Gilles, head of design and SRT for Chrysler, told Allpar today that the 2014 Jeep Cherokee should not be judged from photography, but from being seen in person. Of those who have seen it, he said, most started out with shock at first, which is desirable to make a product stand out and be noticed; then, Gilles said, most like it, “It grows on them.” According to Mr. Gilles, the styling is a triumph in that it goes in a completely new direction for the brand, yet is instantly recognizable as a Jeep. Having the grille extend into the hood provides the right proportions and a more aggressive stance, while it “celebrates its wind-swept nature,” looking as though it is “wind-cheating.”  The extension of the grille into the hood does not hurt the aerodynamics of the Cherokee. Mr. Gilles also said that, while the 2014 Cherokee’s styling was..

View the original, full post

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
He is right...

·
Registered
864 Posts
well...i have to say that I have originally hated the look....but the one pictured here... I am guessing its tungsten Metallic Paint with the black-out look definatley looks better to me. I am still not sure about it, but I dont hate it as much as I used to.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
My first thought was, "A wart grows on you too." But, I do like the front end, in spite of my intial shock. Now I have to see if that back end grows on me as well. That is just a real turn off to me so far; and I liked the vehicle prior to seeing the rear.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
It grows on you. So does athletes foot. :rolleyes:

What really suprises me is that they chose a vehicle to do a very controversial design that otherwise would sell very well with a conservative style or possibly sell even better with a retro/heritage look. Taking risks is one thing, but this seems to be unessarily riskys for a company that cries cash poor when it comes to hatchbacks, small pickups, etc.

Reactions: Bill Sample

·
Registered
59 Posts
The new pictures are even uglier. It grows on me alright, just like a bad fungus. I really hate it when execs try to polish a turd. It still looks like a bad Hyundai design.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Somehow the picture reminds me of a Sci Fi movie like "Alien". Not sure if that is a good thing or not... :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm starting to see more of an Izusu Vehicross from some angles on the Cherokee... which isn't necessarily a bad thing. That car may have been polarizing but was also one of the most uniquely styled vehicles of its time.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
I don't disagree with him. Personally, after the shock, it does look less bad, or better depending on your stance. And in person, it probably is better.

BUT - BUT. Having to come out and say that is a blatant admission that it just ain't that great.
I like Gilles, a lot. But let's face it, this thing just isn't going to work for most people. Period.

I don't know if this is his fault. Or if this maybe looked way better on paper. Or what happened. I realize that at this point, he is doing damage control. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it also hurts his credibility.

So with all of that in mind. Mr Gilles, just please tell me the company has learned it's lesson, and that moving forward, the cars are more like what the 200 sounds like, down right attractive. So that you aren't put in a position to have to defend a vehicle in this manner.

·
Registered
67 Posts
GasAxe said:
What really suprises me is that they chose a vehicle to do a very controversial design that otherwise would sell very well with a conservative style or possibly sell even better with a retro/heritage look. Taking risks is one thing, but this seems to be unessarily riskys for a company that cries cash poor when it comes to hatchbacks, small pickups, etc.
If they would have used this styling direction for the compact Compass replacement, all would be fine. The Cherokee should be a 3/4 sized GC

·
Registered
695 Posts
Like it or not, when the company's Senior Vice President of Design says the cars style "grows" on you, that's not a good thing. Really not a good thing.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Doug in Florida said:
My first thought was, "A wart grows on you too." But, I do like the front end, in spite of my intial shock. Now I have to see if that back end grows on me as well. That is just a real turn off to me so far; and I liked the vehicle prior to seeing the rear.
Ha! Ha! I was going to write the same thing, UNFORTUNATELY, there are kidnapping laws against tying up prospective customers until they start to like it enough to buy it. Many potential buyers will likely move on.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
proun91 said:
If they would have used this styling direction for the compact Compass replacement, all would be fine. The Cherokee should be a 3/4 sized GC
They already tried that easy way out with Compass.
Wasn't it only a few years ago that critics complained, all Dodge cars looked like Ram?

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
I'm wondering if folks will now revisit the "poll" and change their vote to..."uh oh..."

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
It is gowing on me...very slowly. But as stated, not really a good thing with the Executives are telling us "it will grow on you"

I suspect that after a year or two we will see a revised front clip.

After looking over the spec's, it really is a very nice SUV.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
What else should he say, the truth? He HAS to say that, he couldn't very well say "well, after the s88t hit the fan we tried to see if we could do something to remedy the disaster but we just didn't have enough time, soooo, there you have it!"

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
proun91 said:
Yup. Swap the styles between the two and things would make a whole lot more sense.

DaveAdmin said:
He was absolutely sincere when he said it, I think. There were enough points where he sort of paused ... that I think he's pretty sincere. That and of course his track record.

Also, ProMaster in person is not ugly. ProMaster in photos is ugly. So...
But the ProMaster is a commercial vehicle so while unattractive, that's way down on the list of comparables to a fleet manager. Fickle consumers need to be attracted by the style when they see it sitting on the lots or driving down the road. Someone else (Norm?) mentioned it in another thread that what the real shame is, is that the great interior, drivetrain and build quality are all now secondary to the controversial style. Now the competition has seen our hand and will react while execs hope the look will grow on folks.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I agree, at first I didn't care for the front. Now it is growing on me. After looking at the current Liberty I have to say now a like it better. The lighting package on the Liberty I find extremely unattractive.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts