Allpar Forums banner
21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
GasAxe said:
It grows on you. So does athletes foot. :rolleyes:

What really suprises me is that they chose a vehicle to do a very controversial design that otherwise would sell very well with a conservative style or possibly sell even better with a retro/heritage look. Taking risks is one thing, but this seems to be unessarily riskys for a company that cries cash poor when it comes to hatchbacks, small pickups, etc.
I'm not so sure....

Todays design to me seems so safe. Every SUV or CUV looks like the other. I am tired of bellybutton design. I am happy my manufacturer of choice is pushing the boundaries. We might not all like it, it might not be well received but we will be noticed.

The trailhawk is growing on me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ralph,

The Viper is a gem.

One size fits all is cheaper to make. This "Jeep" is about profit and the Cherokee name is being used to cover the odor. It is up to the consumer now to maintain the bloodline.

What is a great example of what happens when consumers do not advocate for themselves? Airline baggage fees.

Jeep's are American. Let's keep them that way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That line, 'it grows on you' is not very complimentary. It reminds me of an old Three Stooges episode where a plump girl want's to get in the back seat with Curly, and as she forces her way she blurts out the line, ' I grow on people', to which Curly retorts, 'so do warts'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OMG, they went and photoshopped it and greyed out the headlights so that they're less prominent. The previous shots of the Blue colored one had clear headlights, now they're noticably altered. Lipstick on a pig.

·
Super Moderator
40,025 Posts
Many of the recent designs had to grow on me. The 2005 300C and the current Challenger did not appeal to me, but after they had been around a few years I came to like the styling of both and have bought one of each. However, the 2005 Dakota had the opposite affect. I liked it at first and then later I decided I wasn't so fond of it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
A polarizing design gets people talking about a vehicle and that's what they want. If it's negative or positive either way people are likely to go to a Jeep dealer just to see it and they may fall in love with it, or more likely they may fall in love with a Wrangler or Compass or GC, or another Chrysler that they see.

If I can get someone to watch my kiddo, I'll be headed to NYC for the auto show, and if I do I'm still reserving judgement for then; otherwise, I will reserve judgement until it's on the lot at MotorWorld (which, knowing their recent delays on 8+spd transmissions, will be in about a year).

·
Registered
382 Posts
"Growing on you" isn't always good...most people tend to not deviate far from their own first impressions...and if your first impression is negative, it's not likely to change enough to cause you to open your wallet. "It grows on you" is only a slightly better sales strategy than "You can learn to live with it"

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Not going to lie but I'm with Gilles on this aswell, not interested in getting such a vehicle but by far to me is more appealing than the Compass (concept, first gen, and refresh) or the Caliber, 3rd Gen Dakotas, or 2nd gen durangos.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
jerseyjoe said:
It appears to be going after the higher end consumer, I wish them luck.
You mean like my daughter that will start at about $70 grand when she graduates? My daughter that said when she saw it, "I'll probably buy an older Jeep and fix it up." My daughter that isn't at all an outdoors type but knows what kind of Jeeps she likes and definitely doesn't like this?

That type of higher end consumer?

And when official spokespeople say " It doesn't look good in photographs" and "it grows on you". Man. Talk about spin city. You know, you don't get much of a three dimensional view from a distance either. So looking at the KL on my dealers lot from the Interstate as I drive by will my dealer put up a sign that says "Stop and look closer. It isn't so bad."

·
Registered
695 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
He was absolutely sincere when he said it, I think. There were enough points where he sort of paused ... that I think he's pretty sincere. That and of course his track record.

Also, ProMaster in person is not ugly. ProMaster in photos is ugly. So...
Oh, he's about as sincere as you get for an auto exec. At least he always comes across that way, Reid et al always seem polished and corporate and therefore appear to be not entirely genuine (although I'm sure they are to a certain degree). Where as Ralph is exactly the opposite and I find him very likeable, despite the fact I've never been a huge fan of his designs.

RVC said:
What else should he say, the truth? He HAS to say that, he couldn't very well say "well, after the s88t hit the fan we tried to see if we could do something to remedy the disaster but we just didn't have enough time, soooo, there you have it!"
I think the "grows" comment is an example of his sincerity... and in this case, he may have been a little too sincere. As in, normally one wouldn't be saying such a thing at a reveal. You didn't here him say anything like that when they unveiled the Dart.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
CherokeeVision said:
You mean like my daughter that will start at about $70 grand when she graduates? My daughter that said when she saw it, "I'll probably buy an older Jeep and fix it up." My daughter that isn't at all an outdoors type but knows what kind of Jeeps she likes and definitely doesn't like this?

That type of higher end consumer?
No. Not that type of higher end consumer.

The type of higher-end consumer that buys based on brands and what they represent, with no real intention of using the actual capabilities past everyday driving. They like to know they COULD, but likely never WILL.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Wouldn't that higher end consumer be looking at a Grand Cherokee rather than the Cherokee? I'm not to sure just who is supposed to be flocking to the Cherokee, the folks who want to pay more for a Compass or Patriot or the folks who can afford, but want less from a Grand Cherokee?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
No. Not that type of higher end consumer.The type of higher-end consumer that buys based on brands and what they represent, with no real intention of using the actual capabilities past everyday driving. They like to know they COULD, but likely never WILL.
Jeep, Thers's only One...imagination...

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
GasAxe said:
Wouldn't that higher end consumer be looking at a Grand Cherokee rather than the Cherokee? I'm not to sure just who is supposed to be flocking to the Cherokee, the folks who want to pay more for a Compass or Patriot or the folks who can afford, but want less from a Grand Cherokee?
Those that might want a Grand Cherokee and only qualify for financing on a base Laredo model might be able to swing the note on a loaded Cherokee Limited.

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
GasAxe said:
Yup. Swap the styles between the two and things would make a whole lot more sense.

But the ProMaster is a commercial vehicle so while unattractive, that's way down on the list of comparables to a fleet manager. Fickle consumers need to be attracted by the style when they see it sitting on the lots or driving down the road. Someone else (Norm?) mentioned it in another thread that what the real shame is, is that the great interior, drivetrain and build quality are all now secondary to the controversial style. Now the competition has seen our hand and will react while execs hope the look will grow on folks.
Funny the other vehicles in the Cherokee's class are rather homely, yet sale well.

Mike

21 - 40 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.