Allpar Forums banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Those that might want a Grand Cherokee and only qualify for financing on a base Laredo model might be able to swing the note on a loaded Cherokee Limited.
True, although they may be just as happy or happier in a decked Compass since it looks like the Grand Cherokee. (shrug)

Mike V. said:
Funny the other vehicles in the Cherokee's class are rather homely, yet sale well.

Mike
Homely yes. Bizarre no. Bizarre vehicles like the Juke (which I hear is getting a facelift and losing the six eye treatment) doesn't sell well in spite of any positive attributes in may have. Even the original Compass, which was kind of a mix of bizarre and homely styling (quite an accomplishment in of itself!) had to get a makeover to the most conservative type of style, a copycat.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I, for one, am willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Yes I will not pass judgement until after I've seen it a couple of times. I remember disliking the headlights on the Intrepid and the rear wheel hump fender arch on the first gen of the recent Charger. They are now a part of the character of those car's design.

·
Registered
197 Posts
GasAxe said:
Wouldn't that higher end consumer be looking at a Grand Cherokee rather than the Cherokee? I'm not to sure just who is supposed to be flocking to the Cherokee, the folks who want to pay more for a Compass or Patriot or the folks who can afford, but want less from a Grand Cherokee?
In international markets, I'm sure many customers want something as premium feeling as a Grand Cherokee, but which is smaller and more fuel efficient. The Cherokee likely will be a "luxury" vehicle in many countries. So if you are going to bother designing it to be that "premium" in other markets, then you might as well do so for N. America, too. Besides, the profits on a "premium" customer have got to be multiples higher than your "mainstream" customer, so you don't have to sell all that many to make a big difference in the program's overall profitability. But you'd better start out as "premium" when launched, because it's hard to move any "mainstream" product in any industry upstream...

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
GasAxe said:
True, although they may be just as happy or happier in a decked Compass since it looks like the Grand Cherokee. (shrug)

Homely yes. Bizarre no. Bizarre vehicles like the Juke (which I hear is getting a facelift and losing the six eye treatment) doesn't sell well in spite of any positive attributes in may have. Even the original Compass, which was kind of a mix of bizarre and homely styling (quite an accomplishment in of itself!) had to get a makeover to the most conservative type of style, a copycat.
The juke is hardly a flop.

Well I think it's not the best looking car on the planet I don't think that It is bizarre.

As I have stated before, I wanted Chrysler to take a gamble on something but I wasn't expecting this at all. Personally I bet it's much better looking in person than it is in the crappy Photoshop pictures.

Personally I think the front end of the escape is just as ugly as this that's just my opinion. Especially when the escape has those god-awful orange lights on the bottom instead of clear lenses. Consumers like ugly cars it is what it is. The CRV is ugly. The RAV4 is ugly. The escape is ugly. The Santa Fe is ugly. The Kia Sorrento isn't that bad. The Jeep well it definitely has its own look. You certainly won't mistake it in the crowd unlike the others

Mike

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
GasAxe said:
Perhaps.
GasAxe said:
Juke sold over 36000 units in the US last year. For reference, the new "normal-looking" Compass sold just over 40000 units - actually DOWN from 2011 when it moved just shy of 48000 units with the "bizarre and homely styling" during part of the year.

Much like Compass was "gravy sales" on top of Caliber and Patriot, Juke is gravy sales on top of Versa and Cube (which is a unique looker in it's own right - perhaps less so than the Juke, but it only moved ~8000 units last year.)

Looks are no guarantee of high or low sales numbers.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
For everyone calling this horribly ugly, it personally looks a lot better to me than pretty much every other mid-sized CUV in the market. It actually stands out as different and not the cookie cutter style that most are. And there are millions of consumers each year buying what seem to me to be really ugly and boring CUVs. This may not appeal to everyone looking for a more traditional Jeep, but I wouldn't consider it a pig by a long shot.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'll give the Cherokee a chance. I didn't like the 2011 Dodge Charger & Chrysler 300 at first due to the Charger not having its shoulders and the 300 looking like an Asian luxury car. But once I saw it in person all my doubts were out the window. I'll have to see it in person and see what it has to offer.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Jose Santos said:
I'll give the Cherokee a chance. I didn't like the 2011 Dodge Charger & Chrysler 300 at first due to the Charger not having its shoulders and the 300 looking like an Asian luxury car. But once I saw it in person all my doubts were out the window. I'll have to see it in person and see what it has to offer.
I felt the same way about the 300 when it came out. The Charger I loved, even more so when I saw it up close. It really wasnt until I saw a 300 SRT that I started to really like the new 300 style. As far as the Cherokee goes, Ill reserve judgement until I see it in person but I can already tell the Trailhawk is the best looking of the bunch. Im still not sold on the rear end however.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The Trailhawk has definitely grown on me to a point that from many angles it's now good looking to these eyes.

The regular versions though, do not like!

I still prefer a Grand Cherokee front clip on this thing. It would have looked great!

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,122 Posts
Personally; for me, outside of the SRT version, I don't like the new Grand's look, myself. I actually am starting to like this car; after seeing it "in the flesh" (over the internet) during the reveal, it really has grown on me. Might actually sell pretty well. :huh:

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Jared said:
I think the "grows" comment is an example of his sincerity... and in this case, he may have been a little too sincere. As in, normally one wouldn't be saying such a thing at a reveal. You didn't here him say anything like that when they unveiled the Dart.
They didn't need to...the Dart wasn't like this...it looks excellent

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
After doing my own unofficial poll, I now believe the Cherokee will sell very well. Not because of its' revolutionary styling but quite the opposite, It looks like everything else. In fact most people said it was anything but a Jeep until I pointed out the seven slot grill. Also most liked the overall Cherokee very much, just not fussy on the rear which they said was odd (preferred a flat rear or slightly bulged out, not concave) and the taillights were too high. Have to agree about the rear where the trend seems to be a big booty like that on the Rav4 which would make the vehicle look like it has more cargo area. The Trailhawk's fascias were liked more than the one with chrome.

·
The Negative Optimist
1,904 Posts
drew54 said:
http://wot.motortrend.com/sorry-folks-this-isnt-a-future-jeep-crossover-8734.html#axzz2On2qCuED

Just a friendly flashback. Does anyone see any similarities on the various drawings?
Wow. Excellent find. And though they're sketches/concepts, they still at least look ...stronger than this new Cherokee

Also, I was relieved to read this in the OP:
Mr. Gilles also said that, while the 2014 Cherokee’s styling was new, it does not signal a change for the brand; Wrangler will not follow the trend, “It’s a very particular aesthetic for this type of vehicle,” he said.

Which I read to mean 1) we won't do it again and/or 2) the Wagoneer is safe.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Now drawings on paper never end up looking the same in metal and rubber. I think the styling language was being kicked around back when this video was floating around. The white one in the top left appears to have the eyebrow top lights and grill. The clay model appears to have the swoop in the hood to fender line and an early attempt at that middle headlight location. It is interesting to see the evolution when it was placed onto the supplied platform.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
CherokeeVision said:
You mean like my daughter that will start at about $70 grand when she graduates? My daughter that said when she saw it, "I'll probably buy an older Jeep and fix it up." My daughter that isn't at all an outdoors type but knows what kind of Jeeps she likes and definitely doesn't like this?

That type of higher end consumer?

And when official spokespeople say " It doesn't look good in photographs" and "it grows on you". Man. Talk about spin city. You know, you don't get much of a three dimensional view from a distance either. So looking at the KL on my dealers lot from the Interstate as I drive by will my dealer put up a sign that says "Stop and look closer. It isn't so bad."
Your daughter has grown up listening to you...a dyed in the wool Jeeper. She is not representative of the population as a whole.

The same things were said about the 2006 CHARGER and it did pretty well for itself. Remember the Charger Thread on this board? All the hemmin an hawwin by the Oldy Olsens screaming BLASMPHEY!! and demanding a "Real Charger" didn't stop it from setting sales records for the name plate.

Boy oh boy I have never seen so much pure automotive talent and knowledge concentrated on one small speck of the Internet universe! I am so surprised that so many people on here aren't running their own auto company! They just seem to know so much more then the folks who are actively working at the companies themselves! It must truly HURT to have all that knowledge and no place to express it but this here board.

Reactions: DDakRT

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
duster92 said:
Your daughter has grown up listening to you...a dyed in the wool Jeeper. She is not representative of the population as a whole.

The same things were said about the 2006 CHARGER and it did pretty well for itself. Remember the Charger Thread on this board? All the hemmin an hawwin by the Oldy Olsens screaming BLASMPHEY!! and demanding a "Real Charger" didn't stop it from setting sales records for the name plate.

Boy oh boy I have never seen so much pure automotive talent and knowledge concentrated on one small speck of the Internet universe! I am so surprised that so many people on here aren't running their own auto company! They just seem to know so much more then the folks who are actively working at the companies themselves! It must truly HURT to have all that knowledge and no place to express it but this here board.
Of the people I polled, younger women lets say under 27 said they prefer the styling of the older Jeeps as opposed to the new Cherokee. IMO his daughter's tastes are along the lines of other young women. :innocent:

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Jackratchett said:
Of the people I polled, younger women lets say under 27 said they prefer the styling of the older Jeeps as opposed to the new Cherokee. IMO his daughter's tastes are along the lines of other young women. :innocent:
There are 5 million mid sized SUVs bought each year and I would venture to say most don't look like a Jeep box. Clearly there is a market for this type of style, for men and women.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.