1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny how the word "coupé" --which is French for "cut"-- has lost all meaning in Germany.

Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Super Moderator
6,895 Posts
Funny how the word "coupé" --which is French for "cut"-- has lost all meaning in Germany.
I love their variations upon variations.

You can buy the sedan version of the coupe which is already a version of a sedan.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
12,224 Posts

You can buy the sedan version of the coupe which is already a version of a sedan.
The Stelvio is the CUV version of the sedan. How is this different?

·
Super Moderator
6,895 Posts
The Stelvio is the CUV version of the sedan. How is this different?
Because it's clearly differentiated...

The 4-series is the coupe version of the 3-series sedan, the 4-series Gran Coupe is the sedan version of the coupe which is already a version of the 3-series sedan.

It's very different.

An SUV based on a sedan is not unusual... that's what most crossovers are...

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Because it's clearly differentiated...

The 4-series is the coupe version of the 3-series sedan, the 4-series Gran Coupe is the sedan version of the coupe which is already a version of the 3-series.

It's very different.

An SUV based on a sedan is not unusual... that's what most crossovers are...
Are you talking about BMW in a Porsche thread?

I get what you are saying, but please be clear.

·
Super Moderator
6,895 Posts
Are you talking about BMW in a Porsche thread?

I get what you are saying, but please be clear.
Yes, that's why I mentioned BMW models. I was replying to @aldo90731 who said the word "coupe" seems to have lost all meaning in Germany.

Audi does the same thing with the A5 Sportback. Mercedes at least gives them different names. Porsche hasn't gone that far yet.

·
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Indeed. I do too.

But for 100 years coupe = 2 doors. Recently Germany has been slapping the word “coupe” onto a bunch of sedans and SUVs with a sleek roof.

Reactions: Ryan

·
Super Moderator
6,895 Posts
Indeed. I do too.

But for 100 years coupe = 2 doors. Recently Germany has been slapping the word “coupe” onto a bunch of sedans and SUVs with a sleek roof.
That was a bit of sarcasm. I like the variety, but they should really call them something else that's less confusing. "Sportback" is at least accurate.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
As a previous owner of the original X6 that started all this I feel very vindicated for choosing this design approach. We were well ahead of the curve. It was funny how polarizing the design was and how so many thought BMW was smoking something.
Now we have moved on in vehicles but I will tell you one thing. Porsche builds a damn good car. I'm reluctantly approving this. Honestly would want more originality rather than another "Me Too" take on this. The Macan almost covers this spot already. .

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Tradition means nothing to todays buyers. Many young people have never owned a 2 door vehicle, thus they have no idea of what “coupe”means. Just more dumbing down of the market.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts