Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Confounding the seers, American Honda posted all-time record August deliveries of 166,432 Honda and Acura brand vehicles to hold onto the No. 4 spot by 880 sales. Driven by another big jump in Civic sales and hefty gains for the CR-V, Pilot and Ridgeline, American Honda sales jumped 26.7% in August. Toyota also outsold Ford, keeping the No. 2 spot for another month. Manufacturer August 2013 CYTD 2013 General Motors 275,847 1,930,264 Toyota 231,537 1,533,722 Ford 220,204 1,703,220 Honda 166,432 1,053,449 Chrysler 165,552 1,213,986 Nissan 120,948 854,248 Hyundai/Kia 118,126 871,496 Volkswagen Group 57,674 412,715 One bit of good news: the Chrysler Town & Country was the top-selling minivan for the month and the Dodge Grand Caravan was second. Brand & Model August 2013 CYTD 2013 Chrysler Town & Country 12,630 80,069 Dodge Grand Caravan 12,569 80,624 Toyota Sienna 11,858 85,025 Honda Odyssey 11,604 90,797 Nissan Quest 1,426 9,430 Mazda5 822..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
241 Posts
On the good side Chrysler had record retail percentage. Can't wait for new product to get here. I think these 2.4L Darts will surprise. As a salesperson. I've always thought the test drive was crucial. You can't sell a car with a weak or poor test drive and think pumping up the low end torque on the Dart will make for successful test drives.

·
Administrator
35,254 Posts
True about the record retail percentage but keep in mind Honda is 98% retail. I am with you on the 2.4 Darts. That said, Chrysler leaders must be really really hoping they can get the Cherokee out there ... and not have too much of a problem with the other launches. A delay in the minivans, as one example, would be crippling if they want to stay ahead of Honda, which I think they do, for image if nothing else.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
if chrysler didn't have RAM...this would be truly embarrassing ... :glare:

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
redhed said:
if chrysler didn't have RAM...this would be truly embarrassing ... :glare:
You mean Ram\Grand Cherokee\Wrangler :lol:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Dave said:
Yes. Chrysler's non truck sales have been abysmal for many years. The company that once dominated the compact car market (when it was Valiant vs Nova vs Ford Whatever) is now an also-ran. Toyota and Honda took that market while Daimler fiddled.
yep, and the japanese also moved into mid and large car sizes...and do really well there too! :-(

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Honda; rightly or wrongly, they still have a sterling reputation for reliability. Chrysler is getting better but; it'll still take some time to (re)earn street 'cred'. That stated; it seems to me the last 3 or so model years under FIAT's benevolent direction have really upped Mopar's game. :)

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I'll just poke once more at a rather obvious hole in ChryFi's line-up :

A Hatch. Either same segment as Dart or just below.

Do you think that they could've sold 881 or more Delta's (with an appropriate model name, whether Delta or some other)? How 'bout 881 Ypsilon (again, with a name the North American buyer would gravitate toward) ?

No doubt you can sense my response.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
It should be noted that Chrysler is missing 8,000 units per month. (Liberty).
One can hope that the FWD KL will move at least 4,000 units per month and move Chrysler ahead of Honda.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Two months in a row. I am still going to wait a little longer before I get totally upset about this, or place blame on anyone, still working on finishing a lineup since the company was given to new ownership.

·
Registered
783 Posts
billfrombuckhead said:
On the good side Chrysler had record retail percentage. Can't wait for new product to get here. I think these 2.4L Darts will surprise. As a salesperson. I've always thought the test drive was crucial. You can't sell a car with a weak or poor test drive and think pumping up the low end torque on the Dart will make for successful test drives.
I agree 100%. I hated the test drive in the Dart and felt my Chevy Cruze rental car had a better driving experience. Even though I liked the power of the 2.5 in the Altima rental I didn't like the noise from the engine and the steering on the interstate was twitchy on centerline. Hopefully the 2.4L Dart is better, I foresee me buying my daughters each a Dart for their going off to college gift (besides paying for college)

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
JavelinAMX said:
I'll just poke once more at a rather obvious hole in ChryFi's line-up :

A Hatch. Either same segment as Dart or just below.

Do you think that they could've sold 881 or more Delta's (with an appropriate model name, whether Delta or some other)? How 'bout 881 Ypsilon (again, with a name the North American buyer would gravitate toward) ?

No doubt you can sense my response.
This. This. This. This!!!

The new Cherokee is as good as we get...

·
Super Moderator
36,926 Posts
I tried, I really tried, to make that number one less. At least it didn't become one more.
My friend was looking to replace his Honda CRV. Compass was out as he'd had one for 2 weeks as a rental while the Honda was repaired after an accident. If the Cherokee had been out, I think it would have been a strong contender. Dart (as a sedan) would not work though he liked it, the Journey wasn't what he was looking for. I could not get him to look at the 500L.
In the end, Honda did not get a repeat sale either. Hyundai and Ford got his interest, but Toyota got his money.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
This. This. This. This!!!

The new Cherokee is as good as we get...
:lol:
Are you so desperate for a hatch that you'll except a wagon?
;)

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
MoparNorm said:
:lol:
Are you so desperate for a hatch that you'll except a wagon?
;)
I'd actually prefer a wagon...more interior space.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Allpar News System said:
Confounding the seers, American Honda posted all-time record August deliveries of 166,432 Honda and Acura brand vehicles to hold onto the No. 4 spot by 880 sales.
Honda's numbers include Acura, does Chrysler's numbers include Fiat?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts