Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automotive News’ Larry Vellequette scooped most other media outlets with specific coverage of the upcoming Chrysler “Hurricane” engine, the latest in a series of upgrades named after wartime planes.  While Allpar had some indication of a Hurricane project for Chrysler four-cylinder engines, not until now were specifics known.

A combination of a job posting and insider sources appear to have informed the respected reporter’s latest revelations. The Hurricane will focus on heads of the 2.0 liter engine; the 2.4 liter version has already been revamped to become the “TigerShark” version, with Fiat’s expensive but effective MultiAir valve control system. The Hurricane 2.0 will use the existing aluminum engine block, shared with the 2.4 liter engine as well as Hyundai and Mitsubishi engines. There remain few details, including whether the company will start using direct injection. The final product is slated to appear in 2016.

View the original, full post

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
It is most likely for B-Jeep or might be the awaited Dart R/T or SRT..

·
Registered
241 Posts
Dave said:
I would think it would not be used on RWD Avenger.
Some of these Avengers are going to have to get good gas mileage. I bet the Hemi will only be in the SRT. I bet the base Avenger will be 2.4L, the next step up will the Hurricane and the R/T will be a Pentastar. The Guilia might only be 1.8L turbo

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mopar392 said:
It is most likely for B-Jeep or might be the awaited Dart R/T or SRT..
Yes, that makes sense as the name Hurricane was used for the 4 cylinder engines in Willys and Kaiser Jeeps, and for the 6 cylinder engines in the L6-226 Utility Wagon and L6-226 pickup.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Cool ... I guess.

When you need something right now, they might have it for 2016. Maybe when we find it in a car it won't already be passe' and behind the times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seems fitting that they would put it in a Jeep. What's left of my memory says Willys had a "Hurricane 4" that remained in production until the late 60's or early 70's.

·
Registered
220 Posts
JavelinAMX said:
Cool ... I guess.

When you need something right now, they might have it for 2016. Maybe when we find it in a car it won't already be passe' and behind the times.
Chrysler Fiat has some outstanding engines and powertrains. The PentaStar and the new Hemi are wonderful engine for their intended uses. Chrysler is simply hands down as the mass market leader in transmissions, and shows that the "not invented here" label does not apply. If someone has designed the better mousetrap, Chrysler was happy to pay to use it. (along with Rolls Royce, BMW 7 Series, etc.)

I suspect the 2.4 MultiAir II, when fully developed, will prove a ground breaking engine, and the first capable of, and actually employing HCCI operation.

Fiat has some great engines too. Don't disregard the Ferrari engines; and VM motori 3.0 liter diesel and FPT 1.3-2.0 liter diesels are fine engines too. We don't see the lightweight 2 cycllinder engines here, but in their sales space, they are pretty fine engines and much more balanced than the 3 cylinder tinies appearing from other automakers. Nobody else has duplicated the fully flexible MultiAir valve control yet.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
CherokeeVision said:
The United States hasn't been hit by a major hurricane in almost 8 years.

Looks like it will get hit by one in 2016.
Um ....Sandy!

·
Registered
176 Posts
If the Hurricane is due in 2016, isn't it fair to say that work is just getting underway now? I mean, can't an entire engine be designed from scratch in 3 or 4 years? If that is true, then shouldn't changing "only" the heads (yes, I know it's more complicated than that, but it's still less work than a clean sheet design) take only a couple of years?

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Jeepnut said:
Um ....Sandy!
Major hurricanes are Cat 3 or higher. The United States is currently setting a new record for the longest length of time since a major hurricane has hit the US.

Sandy was downgraded to a post tropical cyclone when it made landfall in the US. Prior to that it was a Cat 1 hurricane.
Hurricane Hazel in 1954 hit during a full moon and combined with a cold front just like Sandy. But Hazel hit as a Cat 4.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/19541015/
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/outreach/history/

The 1821 storm that hit New York during low tide had a storm surge as great as Sandy had at high tide.
The Long Island Express hit as a Cat 3.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/hazards/storms_hurricanehistory.shtml

What Sandy showed was that New York had since the 1821 storm to prepare. For almost 200 years the politicians of New York and the voters that put them in office did little to develop building codes and zoning ordinances to defend against storm damage.
The only thing Super about Sandy was the hyped up media coverage.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I thought it was a 3 had to look it up it was a 2 when it hit the Northeast my bad.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
I apologize for being picky.
Here is a CBS article on the 75th anniversary of the 1938 storm. It describes how Sandy was nothing compared to it.
Something to keep in mind when you hear anyone say Sandy was so powerful due to man made climate change.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57603990/great-new-england-hurricane-of-1938-remembered-on-75th-anniversary/
Maybe not as powerful of a hurricane, but did the Long Island Express drop 3 feet of snow in West Virginia? Did it take out power in Ohio and Michigan? Was its effects felt in Green Bay, WI? What made Sandy super wasn't the power, but the size.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
JoshMHam said:
Maybe not as powerful of a hurricane, but did the Long Island Express drop 3 feet of snow in West Virginia? Did it take out power in Ohio and Michigan? Was its effects felt in Green Bay, WI? What made Sandy super wasn't the power, but the size.
:lol:
Did they have widespread power in Ohio and Michigan, in 1938???
Great topic for the 'Off Topic' section, but...
Can we get back to the Hurricane ENGINE now?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Yes, the 2.4 is already making big gains in performance and fuel economy.

Reactions: guyverfanatic
1 - 20 of 25 Posts