Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While no details of the truck are known yet, a completely new one-metric-ton pickup appears to be set to start production within the next two years; it will most likely be built in Toluca, Mexico, where Fiat 500 and Journey are currently made, and exported to Europe, South America, and North America.

Observers believe this pickup will be smaller and lower capacity than Dakota, most likely coming closest in size to the old A-100 or Ram 50, rather than filling Dakota’s mid-size slot (later occupied by Chevy Colorado). The primary target markets are outside the United States, but it will fill an empty part of Chrysler’s product line in the US, too; should fuel prices suddenly rise, buyers will find an economical Ram. Perhaps more to the point, the new truck would fill out Ram’s product line so that Chrysler can serve as a “single point” for businesses and..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm very excited about a small RAM. I’m hoping it is RWD based platform that could be used for some small Jeeps.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I discovered and posted on another thread that over the years the Toyota HiLux has sold 14 million and 700,000 were sold in Australia. Australia has fewer people than California has. Ford Rangers are apparently still being produced somewhere in the world. In many countries pickups in that size range are expected to safely carry a metric ton of "whatever" in the bed and the bed is expected to be big enough to carry metric-sized building materials.

I'm adding that by metric-sized building materials I include 1.25m x 2.50m sheets of plywood etc. and the dimension lumber to go with them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think intelligence is breaking out at RAM. Although this may be residual Diaz brilliance. It is impossible to price differentuate a mid-size pickup anymore. Plus the "regular" half tons secure much better mileage these days, with more to come with the small diesels. Building "Home Improvement", DIY, mini-trucks are a completely different consideration ,especially if they offer sales possibilities outside the USA.

The only mild criticism is that it might have been better built in Brazi, and then you could justify the already installed 500 capacity in Mexico. That assumes a more balanced trade position between Mexico and Brazil getting more exports, and ending its Mexico 500 quotas.

But then again that is assuming intelligence from politicians, obviously a stupid bet, at anytime.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I bet this truck will be ProMaster based. A bigger safer version of what sells well in Brazil and South Africa.

Across the internet there is hope some one will build a reincarnation of the first compact trucks and here there is great desire for a modern "XJ" but sales and profitability of the closest vehicles built today are terrible. The regular cab base Tacoma has been discontinued and sales of the Xterra are miniscule. Maybe Chrysler has some sort of breakthrough BOF RWD vehicle but I bet we see a 120% scale Strada made out the Ducato but at least armchair CEO's will surely get a diesel stick shift version, another type of vehicle the internet says will sell but manufacturers are skeptical about.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cornupenuria said:
I discovered and posted on another thread that over the years the Toyota HiLux has sold 14 million and 700,000 were sold in Australia. Australia has fewer people than California has. Ford Rangers are apparently still being produced somewhere in the world. In many countries pickups in that size range are expected to safely carry a metric ton of "whatever" in the bed and the bed is expected to be big enough to carry metric-sized building materials.
Those size pickups are the backbone of the country. Extremely popular. they have displaced the traditional car based Aussie ute as the workhorse of the nation (most traditional utes are more used as a 2 door young mans plaything these days). the BOF style Japanese utes are very widespread out here. I can buy a dual cab (4 door 5 passenger) Diesel manual 4x4 with true low range and off road capability, 2500kg tow rating etc at a very reasonable price. If ram comes out with something similar they will sell very well in this part of the world.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Cornupenuria said:
Standard metric ton size is 1200 x 1000 which really isn't very large.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keep the big Ram, but make this small one a car based FWD/AWD, much like the FWD '84 Dodge Rampage that was charger based.

Lighter weight would mean much better MPG. Most guys really only need a "truck" to haul appliances or a coffee table or a riding lawn mower now and then. 1200 lb load would be plenty IMO. Also make a 4 cyl turbo diesel an option like the old rabbit pickups. A 50 MPG mini truck sounds good to me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
They need a Strada-like vehicle with a front seat big enough for Americans, a bed big enough for 2 dirt bikes and be able to be federalized. As far as "this is Chrysler we're talking about", I don't see any other car companies with far more resources rushing into these markets. In fact Toyota and Nissan seem to be backing up. Yes, Chevy is coming with a new smaller truck but it's more Dakota sized than Ram 50 sized.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Hard to say for sure what the dimensions are. I almost looks like a Dodge Ram with a 4 foot bed. The beauty of the Dakota was you could get it with an 8 foot bed. I would hope it came in 2 door and had a frame underneath it. FWD would totally be out as a replacement for the Dakota, and if it were smaller, it should be 8 foot bed with the tailgate down and wide enough for a sheet of plywood, being 4 feet wide. Let's keep it usable.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Not a Dakota replacement. Photos are just allpar photoshops of Strada with a Ram front clip.
Stop and think, if this is to be built in Mexico for latin / south america, it's going to be either the next gen Strada, or something to compete with VW Amorak.
Poke around Brazil auto websites. GM Montana, GM S10, VW Amorak, Toyota HiLux,

·
Registered
452 Posts
cudaman said:
Keep the big Ram, but make this small one a car based FWD/AWD, much like the FWD '84 Dodge Rampage that was charger based.

Lighter weight would mean much better MPG. Most guys really only need a "truck" to haul appliances or a coffee table or a riding lawn mower now and then. 1200 lb load would be plenty IMO. Also make a 4 cyl turbo diesel an option like the old rabbit pickups. A 50 MPG mini truck sounds good to me.
Yes, because the Subaru Baja sold like hot cakes......they need a truck.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
unclejjg said:
Yes, because the Subaru Baja sold like hot cakes......they need a truck.
You're thinking of USA market (which is where Subaru tried to sell the Baja), Think non-USA, with additional sales in USA as just gravy for the project.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Dan Minick said:
You're thinking of USA market (which is where Subaru tried to sell the Baja), Think non-USA, with additional sales in USA as just gravy for the project.
Dan, in other countries people eat cockroaches. They call them delicacies, and very useful. I call them bugs.

I see a parallel in offering FWD cars with a truck bed. It is not a matter of looking from a different angle...there is only one angle: does it work for the US? I don't own stock in the company, nor do I care about Pedro's needs in Argentina.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
In other words, never mind, it isn't for the US market, so forget about it.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
unclejjg said:
Dan, in other countries people eat cockroaches. They call them delicacies, and very useful. I call them bugs.

I see a parallel in offering FWD cars with a truck bed. It is not a matter of looking from a different angle...there is only one angle: does it work for the US? I don't own stock in the company, nor do I care about Pedro's needs in Argentina.
check please...... :whistle:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Not a Dakota replacement. Photos are just allpar photoshops of Strada with a Ram front clip.
Stop and think, if this is to be built in Mexico for latin / south america, it's going to be either the next gen Strada, or something to compete with VW Amorak.
Poke around Brazil auto websites. GM Montana, GM S10, VW Amorak, Toyota HiLux,
Is the Nissan Navara active in that market?
http://www.nissan.co.za/en/web/models/NAVARA/home/hpage.htm

1 - 20 of 107 Posts