Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Jeep has continued its recent tradition of inserting small “original Jeep” profiles in various places, by adding a tiny Jeep profile to the headlights on the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Shown here on the SRT Jeep is a tiny icon integrated into the headlight design. The Grand Cherokee's headlights and tail-lights are now supplied by Magneti Marelli, a surprising large ($7 billion) parts supplier now owned by Fiat. Created in 1919, Magneti Marelli has unexpected depth, including ownership of famed carburetor maker Weber, according to M.M.’s James Rosseau. The company operates a lighting plant in Tennessee, and does $1 billion of business in North America; they supply headlights to BMW and Mercedes, and have a customer list that also includes GM, Ford, Hyundai, and Volkswagen. The company is exploring LED headlights, and Jeep could benefit from the association on its higher-end vehicles. Mopar and Chrysler's dealer group had already announced..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
It also says Since 1941 on the other headlight IIRC.

T

·
0 Posts
It seems as if these new lights are made by Magnetti Marelli in a plant in Tennessee. They had originally considered Mexico as a source but Sergio visited the plant in Pulaski TN and was impressed with the workforce and decided to expand the plant to make lighting systems. Who do you suppose their biggest customer is? Chrysler of course!

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Moparian said:
It also says Since 1941 on the other headlight IIRC.
I saw that almost immediately, but then wondered why it wasn't on the passenger side too. Now I know.

thedriver said:
I have to say I don't really like the new lamps, I prefer the old ones instead. Are these optional or standard?
Depends on the model, so you could say "optional"

·
Super Moderator
735 Posts
I personally am on the fence about projector headlights right now, I love how bright they are on my '12 300, but I also hate getting flashed from the opposing traffic!

I know my buddy with a new ford Edge also has the same problem..

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
washers are in the higher-end models.

That lil Willys is only on the SRT right? Cause the "since 1941" is in the other ones i've seen. o_O

·
Registered
387 Posts
thedriver said:
I have to say I don't really like the new lamps, I prefer the old ones instead. Are these optional or standard?
I absolutely LOVE (!!!) the new lights! They look super modern and far sleeker than the 2011-2013 models.

Compare the original Limited front to the 2014 makes the original look like it was designed in the 1990s.

The Overland and Summit look even better. IMHO the designers did a fantastic job.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
Marine Viper said:
I personally am on the fence about projector headlights right now, I love how bright they are on my '12 300, but I also hate getting flashed from the opposing traffic!

I know my buddy with a new ford Edge also has the same problem..
I dislike ANY headlights in my eyes. It takes a longer time for my eyes to recover from the bright headlights of today. When New Jersey conducted inspections other than emissions the current crop of headlights would have failed. Not sure of what happened to federal limits but just cause congress is going blind doesn't mean everyone else has to. I keep the dash lights low and can see an empty unlit roadway just fine with Challenger SE headlamps. Some places like the hills in West Virginia require bright lights but that's what high beams are for.

Reactions: Dave Z

·
Super Moderator
36,948 Posts
Having owned a car with HID lights (the 2005 Chrysler 300C), the headlights on the Challenger are a step backwards. It's not just the quantity of the light but the quality. Too bad you had to get a Hemi to get HID lights on the Challenger. The 1999 Town and Country had the quad lights and that was the best aero headlight vehicle I ever drove until the 300C. Never had a problem with people flashing lights at me. Either the 2012 300 has much brighter lights or there's an aiming issue.

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,932 Posts
My '08 Magnum R/T had projectors, and keeping them aimed was an issue.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
DDakRT said:
I absolutely LOVE (!!!) the new lights! They look super modern and far sleeker than the 2011-2013 models.

Compare the original Limited front to the 2014 makes the original look like it was designed in the 1990s.

The Overland and Summit look even better. IMHO the designers did a fantastic job.
I'm glad you posted this because I've been on the fence about the new GC front end, but seeing it next to the last gen, I now agree it does look much more modern and I'm liking it much more now than the first pictures I saw which it seemed not as clean as the last gen.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
thedriver said:
I prefer the quad lamp look. And I DON'T like the chrome surrounded fish mouth.
Agreed. On the 'mouth' especially .. it makes the truck look either depressed or about to sneeze from the direct-front views. [LINK]. lol

·
Registered
476 Posts
Agreed. It's almost like what the GC would have looked like if you skipped the Daimler years. Much more if a continuation of the classic 90s/early 2000s GC.

It seems the styling of a lot of recent Chrysler stuff is pretending Daimler never happened, which is good.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
Actually I think it's on the Summit. Nevermind. You're right. The Summit has an SRT-ish lower fascia.

Edit - how about somethin like this?

IMO it'd not look as awkward (fixing the mouth) or as much like the 300. JMO though.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Remove all the chrome and black out the "slot" inserts.
Better yet, drop the "mouth" back down below where it was on the last WK and that makes the slots longer, the "bumper" is too high and right now the slots look like squares and not slots.

suzq044 said:
Actually I think it's on the Summit. Nevermind. You're right. The Summit has an SRT-ish lower fascia.

Edit - how about somethin like this?

IMO it'd not look as awkward (fixing the mouth) or as much like the 300. JMO though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts