Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Detroit Free Press reported today that Chrysler will move the next generation Dodge Journey from Toluca, Mexico, to Sterling Heights, Michigan, which today builds the 200 and Avenger; the plant is also slated to build the next generation of the 200, which will be a completely different design. The next-generation Journey and 200 are moving to the same basic platform and architecture as Dodge Dart and Jeep Cherokee, a move that was announced years ago. The Freep credited Automotive Compass with the news; that organization credited suppliers for the information. Automotive Compass also confirmed that the Dodge Avenger was to cease production, as announced.  Chrysler has declined to comment. The new Journey and Freemont are still some time off, with Automotive Compass claiming they will start up in January 2016. The Journey was recently refreshed, but will stand alone as the last of its series for over a year...

View the original, full post

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
An expected move. Be interesting to see what will have to Toluca when the 500 eventually leaves.

Mike

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mike V. said:
An expected move. Be interesting to see what will have to Toluca when the 500 eventually leaves.

Mike
Agree. Common sense would see Toluca used for cars/trucks going to BOTH North America and South America due to Mexico being in both free trade zones.

Any ideas spring to mind?

Alfa? Jeep? Ram 50/Fiat Strada? Dodge Dakota/Fiat Whatever?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mike, I was wondering the same thing. I will GUESS that Toluca will build Fiat-badged vehicles for North and South America due to Mexico's trade zone status.
(M.O.D. - same thoughts at the same time!)

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
That's an interesting move. I think they will simply make Mexico the center for trucks and commercial vehicles within the group.
Problem with Mexico is that the free trade agreement with Brazil has been downsized, so unless SM has had some direct reassurances from either side that it will be reinstated as it was up until last year, it simply doesn't make enough of a business case per se. IIRC, as early as end of March 2013 the total quota of imports from Mexico to Brazil had already been reached, and all other vehicles after that are subject to import tariffs.
And Brazil is close to 70% of the whole SouthAm car market. Argentina is the only other meaningful country, with another 15% of the total market. The rest is pointless.

·
The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"
2,644 Posts
It makes sense to put the Journey and 200 in the same plant. (Although I figured it would go to TNAP alongside the Cheokee. Maybe TNAP will get the new Patriot instead to make Toledo the Jeep center). It sounds like once they move the 500 to Poland in 2015, the plant will be closed for retooling for whatever product they decide to put there. The Dakota replacement supposedly is due in 2016, so that would be my guess.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
2013 fiat bravo is made in brasil since 2010

I think the Mexican plant is just making room for the other types of Fiat 500's. Like the 500L.
Looks like 500L first made in Serbia,

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
66coronet said:

I think the Mexican plant is just making room for the other types of Fiat 500's. Like the 500L.
It has already been announced that 500 production will leave Toluca in favor of the Poland factory supplying all cars globally once the euro platform and American platforms are common-ized.

I tend to agree, trucks and vans for the entire Americas

Mike

·
Registered
184 Posts
66coronet said:

What is the expected volume of the 500L in the US/Canada? In all of the Americas, for that matter?

Fiat seems to be trying to keep a fair amount of volume in its European plants because otherwise, it would need to shut some. It's hard to see what they would put in the Serbian plant if they hived off some of the 500L's volume to another plant in Mexico. Especially since I imagine that Toluca can handle a LOT more than whatever volume the 500L or derivatives would need. And I don't imagine they are thinking of shutting Toluca, either.

Seems more likely to be a new product or three in there. The primary question is which size, and what is most desirable from the perspective of selling in the Americas (all of them). If the benefits of shipping to Brazil have dropped, then it is more likely to have a platform that is popular in North America.

·
Administrator
35,243 Posts
Class 8 trucks ;)

No, I am just kidding. If they were to make these in North America I'd suspect they'd buy the old DTNA plants in Canada which are already set up for it, or use old Chrysler plants in Detroit and vincinity. Or find room in Saltillo.

I don't think 500L will go there. I would think, again, Daily and/or vans... or maybe they figure they will sell Cherokees like gangbusters and need more capacity. They could use Toluca as overflow for export Cherokees and such. ,... though Belv. makes more sense for those, they can't be too busy making Darts and Patriompasses.

Wrangler... nah.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
The Serbian plant can produce 200,000 vehicles per year.

The Polish plant that builds the Euro 500, the Ford Ka, the Lancia Ypsilon, and the Nuova Panda. It is capable of around 500,000 cars per year.

Thy are both capable of producing for a world market. The Polish plant does have room to grow too if I remember right.

Mike

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Are we really three years away from the next 200?

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
No, around 2.6 years from the next Journey. 200 comes a year earlier.
2.6 years?! 2 years earlier?

You forgot the delays we need to build into every program! :rimshot:

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
2.6 years?! 2 years earlier?

You forgot the delays we need to build into every program! :rimshot:
:3rd:

·
Registered
824 Posts
The Avenger would be a perfect car to use to fill a niche that I think desperately needs filling: namely, a 'basic transportation' car aimed at those who are stymied by the gadgetry in modern automobiles; without electronic accoutrements, but with extra comfortable and luxurious seating and appointments.
I'm thinking big radio knobs, shifter on the tree, maybe even a bench seat...

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
lvelleq (o)llllll(o) said:
The Avenger would be a perfect car to use to fill a niche that I think desperately needs filling: namely, a 'basic transportation' car aimed at those who are stymied by the gadgetry in modern automobiles; without electronic accoutrements, but with extra comfortable and luxurious seating and appointments.

I'm thinking big radio knobs, shifter on the tree, maybe even a bench seat...
Sadly, I don't think it would sell... Not with Hyundai/Kia offering much more for the money.

Mike

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
More doesn't equate to "basic" or "simple" though. I get what Larry is saying - there could very well be an untapped market for such a vehicle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts