Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Four years ago, in June 2009, Chrysler Group LLC emerged from bankruptcy. That month, Chrysler's total sales came to 68,297, down 41.9% from June 2008. Last month, with 39 months of uninterrupted growth under its belt, a record unmatched by any other automaker in the post-2007 world, Chrysler delivered 156,686 vehicles, 129.4% more than June 2009. Compare that to General Motors, which was in the same straits as Chrysler: since June 2009, GM's volume has grown 51.5%. Ford's growth? 51.7%. Chrysler had a 7.9% market share in June 2009; in June 2013, that figure is 10.9%. In June 2009, GM's market share was 20.3%; last month it was 19.3%. Ford's share was 18% four years ago; today it's 16.7%. It's ironic that none of the analysts accurately predicted Chrysler's June increase, but the average forecast of the analysts polled by Bloomberg News was right on the money: 8.2%. The..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I sure am glad to see this unprecedented growth. Such a change from 2008! What a ride this has been..here's to looking for more of the same!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I find the comments about the 300's slower sales interesting. Having mentioned this in a previous thread, someone commented the sales drop was due to the lack of a stripper/base model, and that though volume was down, per unit profit was much higher. I don't see this a a bad thing, the Chrysler brand should not offer a stripper model in any vehicle, leave that to Dodge.

Chrysler Brand is not going to be rebuilt in a year or two, or a model or two. It took years to lose it's reputation and will take years to regain it, with good product over a sustained period of time. I see Chrysler on the right track to regain its reputation as a premium automobile. Lower volume + higher profit and resale = reputation regained.

comment added - Of course, they could really, really, use a second model in the line-up, either a coupe/convertible or a WAGON!!!!!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
One of the "problems" that Dodge Dart has is that the next bigger car sells for less. The second problem is that not al the engine transmission options meant to be available, are not yet available. When the Avenger goes away, so will this "problem".

Sales of the 300 are off, which people attribute to the discontinuance of the base 300 stripper models. It is good for the brand, and I think that the company has opened room to price the 200 replacement at a higher price, while not duplicating the Dart problem.

Of more significance is the Minivan "problem". The new Minivan(s!) are not projected to be available for almost a year and a half. I don't see how Chrysler produces a short term fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I own 2 Chrysler products currently a 2012 Journey and a 2012 Avenger along with a 2013 Mustang. I like the value of the two Dodges I purchased. Both are a lot of car for the money and about $4k off sticker helps. Interiors are nice radios are good handling on the base Avenger is good. And power in the V-6 3.6 L Journey is strong. Chrysler needs to fix a few things and they could gain even more Market share. First the Journey, I am not hard on Brakes but the Journey had to go back to the dealer for pulsating brakes. The rotors needed to be turned at 5,800 miles this is unacceptable I thought the Journey brake problem was fixed by the 2012 model year but apparently not. Somebody in brake engineering needs to be fired over this. Just fix it use stainless rotors that can take the heat or hire Brembo or Bendix to redesign the Journey Brakes and offer a retrofit for all current Journey owners. The Journey needs a bigger anti roll bar to improve the ponderous handling, ditch the Korean brand base tires too. Now the Avenger... find a way to smooth the Idle of the 2.4 liter. 1st and 2nd gear need to be lower in the 4 speed for better acceleration. The Dart needs a big price drop to sell and compete with Focus and Fiesta you can buy a well equipped Avenger for $2k less than an equivalent Dart not rocket science why the Dart does not sell well. The Chrysler 300 Styling was a mistake with the bar grille and the Oldsmobile 88 1960s taillights. Go with the Bentley styling like the round headlights with LED rings and fix the fugly taillights. I hope the 200 convertible can be simplified it is too Expensive for an entry level Convertible and is losing sales to Mustang. Finally upgrade the tie rod ball joints on all FWD Chrysler Products again another Engineering manager should be fired over this. Let Moog fix it for you and do it now. Finally anyone in the CAD/CAM design department who designs one more car with a battery inside the fender well need to be let go. Chrysler needs to stop asking so much about what I think of the dealer and ask me in detail what I want improved in the cars. Kawasaki just asked me in detail about a recent motorcycle purchase and their bikes keep improving. Mostly I like my two Dodges but it is long past time for Chrysler to fix the few known issues and become a quality leader and not a follower.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
To be clear, Engineering doesn't dictate cost of parts. They have to work within the parameters given to them. From what I know, the engineers are tasked to come up with a solution - let's say the front suspension. They'll come up with "good, better, best" options. Then the costs are determined and choices are made. Those choices aren't always in line with what Engineering would like to see...but that's not their call to make. Before you jump on the Engineers, maybe throw some glances towards the bean counters first.

I just had a look under my old '98 Stratus...there's not really a whole lot of space to cram a battery under the hood without creating issues - like serviceability - elsewhere. Only took me 20 minutes to swap out a battery in that car - it's not a huge issue. (I realize it might be for some.)

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
You Should Hear What "Bean Counters" Think About Maintenance Depts!

TMD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
To be clear, Engineering doesn't dictate cost of parts. They have to work within the parameters given to them. From what I know, the engineers are tasked to come up with a solution - let's say the front suspension. They'll come up with "good, better, best" options. Then the costs are determined and choices are made. Those choices aren't always in line with what Engineering would like to see...but that's not their call to make. Before you jump on the Engineers, maybe throw some glances towards the bean counters first.

I just had a look under my old '98 Stratus...there's not really a whole lot of space to cram a battery under the hood without creating issues - like serviceability - elsewhere. Only took me 20 minutes to swap out a battery in that car - it's not a huge issue. (I realize it might be for some.)
I worked as an Engineer for an auto OEM auto parts supplier. Engineering does indeed set the materials and performance specs. for components. Purchasing tries to buy it cheaper but the supplier has to make it to the material, dimensional and other specs called out on the print. If the bean counters ran everything as you claim we would still be running pushrod engines, drum brakes and three speed automatics. The wheel well battery is a lazy shortcut and all the other car makers seem to be able to solve the space issue and keep the battery under the hood. I want the best for Chrysler they just need to fix a few things if they expect to capture more market share and respect among the conquest market. The battery swap in my old 2006 T&C van took 5 minutes because the battery was right where it should be (under the hood) same thing with my old 2006 Mustang. Chrysler learned from making cheap interiors now they are among the best at each price point. Same needs to be true for brake longevity and suspension components on mopar CUVs and vans.

The Mad Duck said:
You Should Hear What "Bean Counters" Think About Maintenance Depts!

TMD
You are right about that in some companies but I don't need to tell you that a good preventative maintenance program is actually the cheapest in the long run to maximize quality and minimize unplanned downtime. BTW are you happy with the Brakes on your 2010 Journey?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was concerned with the falling sales of the 300 this year. I think some of that may be because shoppers are waiting for the new transmission due to come out next year, but also because of the elimination of the base model, particularly a model without cloth seats. Not all buyers like leather seating and without cloth as an option, it leaves buyers with 3 choices, deal with the leather, purchase the Dodge Charger, or buy a car from the competition. While Chrysler is reestablishing itself as a luxury brand, it can offer upgraded cloth from the 2012 model year to better fall into the luxury market. An example of upgraded cloth is the old Kymberly cloth that came standard on the Chrysler Fifth Avenue of the 80's, soft and rich looking.

In my opinion, I'm also hoping for a refresh of the rear end of the 300. Something similar to the rear end refresh of the 2008-2010 model to help boost the sales of this beautiful car.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
As an emerging premium brand model, the 300 must match the competition.
I'm not aware of any car in this class (Cadillac XTS, Lincoln, Jaguar XF, etc) that has cloth seats?

Heck, my 2013 Sahara has leather seats. For the vast majority of customers looking at premium models, leather is expected.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
MoparNorm said:
As an emerging premium brand model, the 300 must match the competition.
I'm not aware of any car in this class (Cadillac XTS, Lincoln, Jaguar XF, etc) that has cloth seats?

Heck, my 2013 Sahara has leather seats. For the vast majority of customers looking at premium models, leather is expected.
Live in arizona and the last thing you want is black leather seats, when buying I want cloth and and a lighter color ( It is the sun, they had a test and a black car with a black interior was 10 degrees warmer )

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
geraldg said:
Live in arizona and the last thing you want is black leather seats, when buying I want cloth and and a lighter color ( It is the sun, they had a test and a black car with a black interior was 10 degrees warmer )
You are probably not the target buyer, however I live in a climate nearly as hot as yours and there are OTHER colors of leather besides black.
I have dark saddle tan and with the remote start, and automatic climate control, my interior is nice and cool before I enter.
I'd point out to you that leather and climate control are part of the convenience option group that attracts these buyers. For buyers not able to want or afford those packages, the Chrysler isn't going to be for them.
Chrysler, the BRAND, cannot move upmarket by offering stripper models with cloth seats, it's as basic as that.
There is always the Charger for those folks and Charger sales reflect the swing...and the platform does not suffer.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
MoparNorm said:
You are probably not the target buyer, however I live in a climate nearly as hot as yours and there are OTHER colors of leather besides black.
I have dark saddle tan and with the remote start, and automatic climate control, my interior is nice and cool before I enter.
I'd point out to you that leather and climate control are part of the convenience option group that attracts these buyers. For buyers not able to want or afford those packages, the Chrysler isn't going to be for them.
Chrysler, the BRAND, cannot move upmarket by offering stripper models with cloth seats, it's as basic as that.
There is always the Charger for those folks and Charger sales reflect the swing...and the platform does not suffer.
I am saying that their are materials out there that are quality and not leather, also remote start so that means that you start your car and let it run until cool, isn't that wasting gas and against stop-start ??? So if we move upscale we cannot offer a high quality material not leather, sorry but that does not make sense.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
MoparNorm said:
I'm sure you're right ...

But I, too, live in the Phoenix-Metro area ( I'm northwest from Phoenix civic-center ).

Convection is a killer. The car sits in a garage or outside - unless the garage is 100% climate-controlled - you're in hell for awhile (varies day-by-day). You can inadvertently touch a metal piece on the interior and flinch due to the hot item touching your skin ... that could even be the seatbelt connection as you get in the car that accidentally touches you above your elbow.

I would never buy a car with vinyl or leather seats here. Not on purpose. Even with the A/C going, if you can see out your windows, the Sun can heat your interior. I have to see when I drive, so I don't have major tinting. I pay for it with heat overcoming A/C. Moral of the story is to have significant window tinting. Just be sure you can see out.

Here, it's both the light and the heat. The sun is wicked-bright, and the heat is actually hot.

Premium cars with Leather are just fine. We'll have to count the Leather-clad cars - premium or otherwise - here in the Phoenix-metro area which also have padded seat covers and steering wheel covers and seatbelt covers...

EDIT Later ...

PS : It's true; a certain number of folks here will go grocery shopping, for instance, and leave their car in Park ,engine on, to benefit from the A/C going to offset some of the affect. They usually have virtually black windows as well.

Also - Geraldg is right. The best desert colors are yellow, white and silver; pretty much in that order. Black/DarkBlue, forget it. Red was between. I look for yellow cars. Color hues matter to some extent.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
RobC said:
I own 2 Chrysler products currently a 2012 Journey and a 2012 Avenger along with a 2013 Mustang. I like the value of the two Dodges I purchased. Both are a lot of car for the money and about $4k off sticker helps. Interiors are nice radios are good handling on the base Avenger is good. And power in the V-6 3.6 L Journey is strong. Chrysler needs to fix a few things and they could gain even more Market share. [ ... Snip ... ] Finally anyone in the CAD/CAM design department who designs one more car with a battery inside the fender well need to be let go. Chrysler needs to stop asking so much about what I think of the dealer and ask me in detail what I want improved in the cars. Kawasaki just asked me in detail about a recent motorcycle purchase and their bikes keep improving. Mostly I like my two Dodges but it is long past time for Chrysler to fix the few known issues and become a quality leader and not a follower.
Wow ...

DISCLAIMER : I'm not an engineer :)

... However, I'd think they'd try to design from the inside-out. Map the needed space, then build the strength/safety points in, then style around that. Seems obvious to me, but I don't know the design envelope or the imposed design limitations they're working with. I realize some ladies/gents are assigned to finish engineering what some other engineer or engineering team starts.

I'm aware that sometimes crazy things happen mid-stream.

For instance : Old American Motors designed the Pacer to be a forward-looking, innovative car. It was intended to be powered by a Wankel engine. They went through all the design paces ( no pun intended ) with that being the expectation. Curtiss-Wright had licensing and distribution rights to the Wankel; GM had production rights. AMC went through GM as a source. At the last second it was pulled from American Motors because GM dropped their Wankel program. AMC had to Shoehorn their Inline 6es into the Pacer ... No room available. It was a crash-course in making lemonade out of lemons. They made it work.

So Stuff Happens in addition to plans happening.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
geraldg said:
also remote start so that means that you start your car and let it run until cool, isn't that wasting gas and against stop-start ???
Yes, if you remote start your car to either cool it down in summer or warm it up in the winter, you'll "waste gas." Just like we've done for decades. Stop/start was never intended to resolve that issue - it has to be mitigated in other ways. Tinted windows, sunshades, ventilation system to exhaust hot air out of the vehicle...something. There is no free ride here.

geraldg said:
So if we move upscale we cannot offer a high quality material not leather, sorry but that does not make sense.
Aside from leather, what is another "upscale quality material"? And is it compatible with other car seating requirements, like air bags and heating/cooling elements?

(For the record, my current car - an Olds Intrigue GLS - has a grey leather interior. And lots of untinted glass. It gets very hot inside. Using a sunshade on the front glass, parking within the minimal shade that one of the few trees in the parking lot provides, and making an effort to exhaust the hot air out of the car help to mitigate it. That said, I don't think it's any worse than my Stratus with cloth seats was.)

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
geraldg said:
I am saying that their are materials out there that are quality and not leather, also remote start so that means that you start your car and let it run until cool, isn't that wasting gas and against stop-start ??? So if we move upscale we cannot offer a high quality material not leather, sorry but that does not make sense.
The premium buyers don't care about a few cents, or dollars of gasoline, if you do, then you're not ready to be one.
There are cheap, hot and poor quality leathers and there are premium leathers and cooled seats (just as there are heated seats).
These things are trivial when discussing premium cars.
Cloth seats do not generally belong in premium cars.

Reactions: Tomguy

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
RobC said:
I own 2 Chrysler products currently a 2012 Journey and a 2012 Avenger along with a 2013 Mustang. I like the value of the two Dodges I purchased. Both are a lot of car for the money and about $4k off sticker helps. Interiors are nice radios are good handling on the base Avenger is good. And power in the V-6 3.6 L Journey is strong. Chrysler needs to fix a few things and they could gain even more Market share. First the Journey, I am not hard on Brakes but the Journey had to go back to the dealer for pulsating brakes. The rotors needed to be turned at 5,800 miles this is unacceptable I thought the Journey brake problem was fixed by the 2012 model year but apparently not. Somebody in brake engineering needs to be fired over this. Just fix it use stainless rotors that can take the heat or hire Brembo or Bendix to redesign the Journey Brakes and offer a retrofit for all current Journey owners. The Journey needs a bigger anti roll bar to improve the ponderous handling, ditch the Korean brand base tires too. Now the Avenger... find a way to smooth the Idle of the 2.4 liter. 1st and 2nd gear need to be lower in the 4 speed for better acceleration. The Dart needs a big price drop to sell and compete with Focus and Fiesta you can buy a well equipped Avenger for $2k less than an equivalent Dart not rocket science why the Dart does not sell well. The Chrysler 300 Styling was a mistake with the bar grille and the Oldsmobile 88 1960s taillights. Go with the Bentley styling like the round headlights with LED rings and fix the fugly taillights. I hope the 200 convertible can be simplified it is too Expensive for an entry level Convertible and is losing sales to Mustang. Finally upgrade the tie rod ball joints on all FWD Chrysler Products again another Engineering manager should be fired over this. Let Moog fix it for you and do it now. Finally anyone in the CAD/CAM design department who designs one more car with a battery inside the fender well need to be let go. Chrysler needs to stop asking so much about what I think of the dealer and ask me in detail what I want improved in the cars. Kawasaki just asked me in detail about a recent motorcycle purchase and their bikes keep improving. Mostly I like my two Dodges but it is long past time for Chrysler to fix the few known issues and become a quality leader and not a follower.
The Caravans have brake issues too. For 2013+ just about all the minivans have gone to 17" wheels with bigger brakes.

I'd like to see them do something to help out owners of pre-2013 minivans with the weaker brakes, but I doubt that will happen.

Most of our Chrysler vehicles have had issues with rotors warping. The worst one was our '04 Dakota. Although our '11 Caravan rotors have gone down hill very quickly and need to be changed now.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
The Caravans have brake issues too. For 2013+ just about all the minivans have gone to 17" wheels with bigger brakes.I'd like to see them do something to help out owners of pre-2013 minivans with the weaker brakes, but I doubt that will happen.Most of our Chrysler vehicles have had issues with rotors warping. The worst one was our '04 Dakota. Although our '11 Caravan rotors have gone down hill very quickly and need to be changed now.
I don't think it was rotor size, it's rotor material. My daughter's Journey had the same issues, since nearly new and she was given the runaround by the dealership.
I went to another dealership and purchased the OEM rotors and installed them and the problem was solved.
Apparently there were a lot of Asian sourced, Nardelli budget junk that found its way into Chrysler products. The replacement rotors were made in the USA and work great.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I thought the Journey brake problem was fixed by the 2012 model year but apparently not.
It was fixed in May of 2012, so it is only LATE 2012 models (like mine, OK at 26K miles) that had the update.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts