Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a move which could allow Land Rover to claim the world’s first use of a nine-speed automatic transmission in a light-duty vehicle, Jeep has reportedly pushed back the production date of the 2014 Jeep Cherokee from May 13 to June 17. The change, which is still unconfirmed, is not surprising given the extensive factory renovations at Toledo North, as well as the new nine-speed automatic which may not yet have started full production, the new 3.2 liter V6 engine, and even the new four wheel drive system, which has not yet been officially released. In short, many components of the Jeep Cherokee are brand new, along with much of the machinery that will be used to make it, and any one of them could have caused a hold to be put on production. Chrysler leaders seemed very confident that the company would be the first to use the.. View the original, full post

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Curiouser and curiouser!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Probably just a "run-of-the-mill" delay... seems like this is going to be the "norm" from now on.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Can we pray that the "gods" have been looking at Jack's drawing?

It would simply save the company, if true...

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Could somebody have said that the thing was ugly, and to let them show some pics to prove it. Then they said, if the thing is seen as ugly, will you then give me another month to implement the changes I "already" had in the works, because I knew something like this would happen?

Naw, that's just wishful thinking, that somebody could have planned ahead like that (sarcasm).

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I'm way less concerned with who is first (Rover may not be that close) I'm more concerned with quality and performance. If they need the time to get it right (and possibly kill that snout) then by all means, hire Jack and get it fixed).
More importantly, how could they develop all of that ground breaking technology while ignoring the looks of this thing?

Reactions: pabbloz

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Can we perhaps keep the comments in this thread focused on the actual topic? There's already a couple other threads were we can all kvetch about how ugly or not the KL Cherokee is.

·
Registered
681 Posts
FWIW, and no inside info or speculation involved, twice I have seen headlamp changes very late in a program. First was the gen 1 Neon. You can see the Honda style lamps on the 2.0 L engine page. Second was the gen 2 Durango, they had a euro style lamp that went way back on the top of the fender. There may have been more but not in my shop.

Each time it happened, the company was under what I call "strong" management with Bob Lutz then Wolfgang Bernhard.

I posted this as a historical perspective only, and maybe a little hope.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Paul J. Reed said:
Does this use the 2.4L (same as Dart GT)? Is this the issue?
No, the 3.2 V6, although the 2.4 might be a possibility at some point.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Can we perhaps keep the comments in this thread focused on the actual topic? There's already a couple other threads were we can all kvetch about how ugly or not the KL Cherokee is.
Agreed, but what if Sergio just had his cataracts removed, re looked at the pictures and said, " what the heck!???" ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
JTE said:
FWIW, and no inside info or speculation involved, twice I have seen headlamp changes very late in a program. First was the gen 1 Neon. You can see the Honda style lamps on the 2.0 L engine page. Second was the gen 2 Durango, they had a euro style lamp that went way back on the top of the fender. There may have been more but not in my shop.

Each time it happened, the company was under what I call "strong" management with Bob Lutz then Wolfgang Bernhard.

I posted this as a historical perspective only, and maybe a little hope.
link for those interested:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/2.html

as a side note, the headlight changes to the neon involved [and i'm basing this off picutures] slight changes to the front fascia and hood. i'm not quite sure about the changes for the 2g durango.

if i were a betting man, i would bet against the dramatic changes that some people are hoping for...

·
Registered
431 Posts
The artical says "the New York metropolitan area is the most popular region in North America." That really surprised me. We see allot of Jeeps here in North Georgia, and Jasper Jeep was the number 1 Jeep dealership for many years. Does anyone have the Jeep sales breakdown by state or region?

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
Every time Chrysler shows Jeeps here, they say this is their strongest region. No numbers.

As for headlights, the headlights really made (or broke) the Neon and PT Cruiser. Without the oval headlights, G1 Neon would have been much more generic, much less love/hate. Without the teardrop headlights, the PT lost a lot of its charm (and sales).

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The 2.4L is reportedly intended for export; i.e., Outside North America.

Paul J. Reed said:
Does this use the 2.4L (same as Dart GT)? Is this the issue?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts