Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ok after reading the article and seeing the screens at the base of the A pillars, I think this is a viable option. It doesn’t make you look at a screen in the center of the dash which would be horrible. Innovation. ♥

·
Is pushing for progress!
3,314 Posts
It will only happen if the government OK's and and I highly doubt they will, as they will say a camera can fail or become unusable due to moisture etc.It is the same reason that HID and LED headlights are not even used to their full potential because government regulations prevent them from doing so.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts

Been waiting for this for the last 5 or so years. Also thought they'd go for the rear-facing Roof Cam, too. Still time for that.

The Back-up Cam was an easy sell. Glad it was around; Glad to have it.

{ We also need the Drone Shot so we can spy-out what's happening up front a quarter-mile or so ahead when you're stuck in slow traffic behind Mr. Carpet installer in his Industrial-strength Commercial van }.

Imagine Zoom with targeting as part of your Rear View Safe Driving option. Perhaps Down the Road Apiece ( no pun intended ) with Enhanced AI and voice control.

I think the good can and will out-weigh the negative. But, we'll see .

·
Super Moderator
6,969 Posts
Been waiting for this for the last 5 or so years. Also thought they'd go for the rear-facing Roof Cam, too. Still time for that.
Rearview mirror camera is available on a handful of GM models.
23F5013A-E549-441F-9A3C-79DBAB0A3BF0.jpeg

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Rearview mirror camera is available on a handful of GM models.
View attachment 20197
Do you happen to know where ( and perhaps how the ) Rear View is mounted on the car ?

Not related : I'd also like to get one of those third-party "Witness" Video systems mounted on my car ... do you or anyone else know much about those? ( Well, basically, it's not that this is NOT related as much as it is Indirectly or Not Fully related to the systems shown thus far ) .

Excellent picture, btw .

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Gentex sell a variety of camera+rearview mirror combinations through car accessories stores. They're probably the supplier to the GM product. They also do an integrated dash-cam in the rearview mirror.

·
Super Moderator
6,969 Posts
Do you happen to know where ( and perhaps how the ) Rear View is mounted on the car ?

Not related : I'd also like to get one of those third-party "Witness" Video systems mounted on my car ... do you or anyone else know much about those? ( Well, basically, it's not that this is NOT related as much as it is Indirectly or Not Fully related to the systems shown thus far ) .

Excellent picture, btw .
I think the location is different for every application. So far I’ve seen it in the Traverse and Silverado, but it’s available in the other GM brands as well. It’s kind of strange because it’s hard to judge depth from a picture/video but there’s always the option of switching to a regular mirror.

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The mount for the camera is as big as the mirror would have been.
Just something more that can go wrong. And an expensive fix required to pass inspection.
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something.
As the article says, using cameras frees designers; it gives them more flexibility. I’d expect in future iterations, the outside mounts to become smaller, and the location of the viewing screens to get moved closer to the IP.

Also, by digitizing those side “mirrors”, functionalities can be integrated, like incorporating blind spot monitor into the new digital cameras —instead of requiring separate sensors; even perhaps making 360 viewing easier and more affordable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I too, am all for innovation - love back-up cameras,etc; however, living in the great white north, even the heated mirrors have a hard time keeping up when the snow is falling. I can see this full of packed snow and becoming very expensive to repair when it has been damaged.
Most mornings, I have to scrape the side mirrors alone with the windshield.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
The mount for the camera is as big as the mirror would have been.
Makes the whole point of replacing a simple mirror ridiculously complicated and expensive, doesn't it. The interior screen design and placement is just as tacky.

If you were to replace a mirror with a camera, I'd figure way forward on the front fender would be the preferred location much like japanese cars had in the 60's. That way you can view down nearly the entire length of the car and avoid blind spots.

·
Super Moderator
32,250 Posts
I too, am all for innovation - love back-up cameras,etc; however, living in the great white north, even the heated mirrors have a hard time keeping up when the snow is falling. I can see this full of packed snow and becoming very expensive to repair when it has been damaged.
Most mornings, I have to scrape the side mirrors alone with the windshield.
So, imagine having to scrape a camera and damaging its lens.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
So, imagine having to scrape a camera and damaging its lens.
Most sideview mirrors are heated and the lens on these cameras would be as well.

Problem solved.

Reactions: JavelinAMX

·
Super Moderator
6,969 Posts
Most sideview mirrors are heated and the lens on these cameras would be as well.

Problem solved.
Does that help with dust and mud? One little speck of mud on a mirror wouldn't do much to visibility, but a speck over a camera lens will make it unusable.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Does that help with dust and mud? One little speck of mud on a mirror wouldn't do much to visibility, but a speck over a camera lens will make it unusable.
Lens washers?

Reactions: JavelinAMX

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
More cost to an already complex system that is still protruding from the side of the vehicle, making it just as easy to damage as mirrors currently are. There's no real benefit to this setup.
I agree.

The only way this makes sense is if you can eliminate any protrusion from the vehicle.

Reactions: GasAxe and Ryan

·
Super Moderator
32,250 Posts

Problem solved.
Maybe you don't live in an area where those heaters don't quite cut it. :)

Reactions: Ryan

·
Registered
69 Posts
Maybe you don't live in an area where those heaters don't quite cut it. :)
I have had many a day when all I can see is a small patch in the mirror - the rest is coated in thick ice.
My rear camera spends a lot of the winter this way too... mostly useless..... unless I take the chance and try chiseling the ice off of it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts