Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A heads-up for owners of 2007-2009 Chrysler LLC vehicles covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty: The mandatory five-year powertrain inspection is coming due. The inspection must be performed within 60 days of every fifth anniversary of the vehicle's original delivery date to maintain warranty coverage. The inspection must be performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer and will be performed at no charge. Check with your Chrysler Group dealer for more details or to schedule an appointment.

View the original, full post

·
Registered
158 Posts
Can anyone clarify if the vehicle's "original delivery date" is the date the vehicle is delivered to the dealer, or the date the buyer takes ownership? I bought the additional Max Wrap warranty for my '09 Dodge Ram, but I understand the inspection is still required.

Thanks in advance for the response...

Craig

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
In the case of the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty it is the date you take ownership (as first owner only).

·
Registered
324 Posts
So far so good on my 2008 Sebring. No issues, and inspection not needed for me until next September, but thanks to Allpar for the reminder!

·
Registered
3 Posts
FYI, it gives you a 2 month window to have the inspection done. My "purchase" date is Feb. 14, the dealer turned away. Went a month and a half too early.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can anyone clarify if the vehicle's "original delivery date" is the date the vehicle is delivered to the dealer, or the date the buyer takes ownership? I bought the additional Max Wrap warranty for my '09 Dodge Ram, but I understand the inspection is still required.

Thanks in advance for the response...

Craig
It is the original in service date, which is the date of sale if a new vehicle or the date put into demo service if you purchased a demo.

FYI, it gives you a 2 month window to have the inspection done. My "purchase" date is Feb. 14, the dealer turned away. Went a month and a half too early.
You really have a 4 month window as you can have the inspection within 60 days of the in service date. So 60 days before or up to 60 days after. The dealer will not do them any earlier or later because they will not get paid for the inspection when they try to file the claim. If you do not have the labor operation number for the inspection attached to your vehicle claim history the warranty code on your vehicle will be changed automatically in the system to indicate you no longer have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For some reason my SRT Challenger wasn't even covered by a 5 year 100,000 powertrain............
It will be traded in the spring, even my dads 08 300C has the 5 year. My chevrolet cobalt SS had 5 year 100k. Why doesn't my $50,000 Challenger? IMO its all a bunch of B.S if you advertise sonething all your products should have it. End rant

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is this an inspection they do automatically when it's in the shop or do you have to ask them to do it? On a slightly unrelated note, I came to find out recently that the service engine soon light isn't necessarily covered by the powertrain warranty (even when it is engine related).

·
3,813 Posts
For some reason my SRT Challenger wasn't even covered by a 5 year 100,000 powertrain............
It will be traded in the spring, even my dads 08 300C has the 5 year. My chevrolet cobalt SS had 5 year 100k. Why doesn't my $50,000 Challenger? IMO its all a bunch of B.S if you advertise sonething all your products should have it. End rant
What year is your Challenger? It shouldn't have the LIFETIME warranty, but it ought to have the 5/100. Unless of course you bought during that small window where no powertrain warranty at all was being offered.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't want to upset you further but your dads 300C didnt come with a 5 year warranty unless he bought it used and has a service contract on it or it is covered under a used CPOV (certified pre owned vehicle) warranty. As far as your Challenger goes I must assume it is older than 2010 which started the policy of all vehicles coming with a 3/36 basic and a 5/100 powertrain.

What year is your Challenger? It shouldn't have the LIFETIME warranty, but it ought to have the 5/100. Unless of course you bought during that small window where no powertrain warranty at all was being offered.
Vehicles that did not qualify for the Lifetime Powertrain warranty, such as the SRT's, only came with a 3/36 basic warranty. The lone exception was the Cummins which came with a 5/100 on the engine only. Lifetime came on all 2007's put in service from 7/26/07 through the 2009 model year.

Is this an inspection they do automatically when it's in the shop or do you have to ask them to do it? On a slightly unrelated note, I came to find out recently that the service engine soon light isn't necessarily covered by the powertrain warranty (even when it is engine related).
An astute service person may recognize when you are in to suggest you get it done if you are in the time range, but other than that it is up to you to ask them to do it. If you dont have it done, poof goes the warranty coverage.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The dealer added the gold warranty when he bought the car( i believe its an aftermarket service contract or something like that) 5 year bumper to bumper and 5 year powertrain. My Challengers in service date is october 2008.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chrysler recently terminated my lifetime limited powertrain warranty because I missed this inspection, but Chrysler never informed me of the requirement and it is not mentioned anywhere in my warranty booklet. This violated federal law and is a breach of the written warranty.

I've started a thread on the issue here https://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/155117-lifetime-limited-powertrain-warranty-terminated/ but wanted to post to this thread as well, even though it is old, since many of my searches about this issue brought me to this page. While I hope noone else is in my position, if you are, please head over to the thread and let me know. I will update the thread with progress reports as I continue to fight Chrysler.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I got a post card from the dealer reminding of the five year anniv of our Patriot and the warranty requirement. Made the appointment, in and out in an hour, "see you in 2018, no charge".

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
evh5150vanhalen said:
Hey, in Canada you get 3/36,000, period. Possibly 5/50,000 on powertrain.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My parents even got a reminder for their 07 Commander they bought new in 1/08... That their inspection was due 1/13.. They traded it in 10/12 on tier Dart. They went out of their way to inform loyal customers to bring in their vehicle they no longer owned in for inspection.. Jus' sayin'.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Same here. Got the reminder, and took my wife's 07 PT in for the inspection. Didn't take long and no attempt to sell me anything. Gave me a nice opportunity to browse around the cars.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,932 Posts
I never got a notification for my '07 Ram either. But I sold it shortly before the anniversary of the warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
JTE said:
I got a post card from the dealer reminding of the five year anniv of our Patriot and the warranty requirement. Made the appointment, in and out in an hour, "see you in 2018, no charge".
brycmtthw said:
My parents even got a reminder for their 07 Commander they bought new in 1/08... That their inspection was due 1/13.. They traded it in 10/12 on tier Dart. They went out of their way to inform loyal customers to bring in their vehicle they no longer owned in for inspection.. Jus' sayin'.
Doug in Florida said:
Same here. Got the reminder, and took my wife's 07 PT in for the inspection. Didn't take long and no attempt to sell me anything. Gave me a nice opportunity to browse around the cars.
FreeLantz said:
I never got a notification for my '07 Ram either. But I sold it shortly before the anniversary of the warranty.
OK well that wasn't really helpful but anyways.... The issue isn't the mailers or a reminder or anything... its that federal law (Magnusson Moss Act of 1975) requires that a requirement like that be in the warranty booklet (specifically to avoid this sort of problem) and its not.

Oddly enough, after posting on Facebook yesterday, after 3 months of fighting this, someone from Michigan finally called to reinstate my warranty. So, problem resolved. Go through local dealer to get to area manager, but if you're in florida just skip that whole process and go to facebook. Its not work dealing with Wanda Cunningham.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
JTE said:
I received several reminder cards, even continued to receive them AFTER THE INSPECTION. ;)
It was painless and they did not try to sell me anything.
I suppose some do fall through the cracks, but it worked for us, even after several address changes and dealer changes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts