Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Today, Sergio Marchionne said that there would be no additions to Chrysler Group’s brand roster — nor will there be any deletions. In answer to CNN Money’s Peter Valdez asking whether he was happy with the current brand lineup, the Chrysler Group CEO said, “I’m more than happy with the lineup. I don’t need any more....[and] We have no intention of reducing the number of brands.” He also said: When we looked at Ram, we made two decisions: One to carve out Ram from Dodge because we thought that the association was actually not helpful, and I realize that, for this one, we’re going against the grain. Ford has decided to go with an oval strategy across the whole range [one brand], and we’re the only ones that keep on carving up or have carved up our brand name portfolio into more distinct pieces. But our ambitions for Ram was..

View the original, full post

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Maserati will be using their own new V6 and V8 engines with ZF automatics and what is rumored to be the basic Chrysler LX platform to create the next Quattroporte
Apparently the only relation between the LX ( I should say the 300 to be more precise) and the Quattroporte is the electrical system, a piece of the floorpan (likely mis-translated by Ciferri into "platform"), and parts of the HVAC system...from the horse's mouth: http://www.autonews.com/article/20130114/BLOG06/130119903/maserati-flagship-leaves-chrysler-roots-behind

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
At least he realized he was going against the grain by renaming the most iconic American truck brand.
A lot of Dodge Truck aficionados are still hurting and upset over that disrespect of the Dodge Truck name.
There are thousands of members of Dodge Truck clubs across the US and the world (many European fans of Dodge Military Trucks).

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Wester, a German engineer who also is Fiat-Chrysler's chief technical officer and Alfa Romeo's CEO, gets mad when he hears that the new Quattroporte is based on Chrysler underpinnings.

So sad, Herr Wester. We have been hearing this about the Chrysler 300 and Jeep Grand Cherokee for years!

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I still don't like the change from a legacy of Dodge trucks. The Ram's head logo has been associated with Dodge for eighty years. It's frustrating that it's gone now.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Wait, so does that mean Plymouth isn't coming back?

(sorry, I couldn't help it)

·
Registered
647 Posts
If Lee the Ego Loco had left Chrysler about 6-7 years before he did, he would have gone down in Chrysler history as a big hero, saving Chrysler in the nick of time. I hope SM isn't taking us down this same road again, and we will be saying 10 years from now SM shoulda quit long before he did...Let's face it, this boy does not understand Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, and he does not understand the American auto market, period.

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,932 Posts
I don't know fellas. Most of what has been done under Sergio's tenure has been pretty positive. Yes, there are things on the horizon that have me concerned, but I also don't expect to like every single thing Chrysler/Fiat ever produces, as they are not building cars and trucks just for me, but for the masses. I think some of the comments above are a little harsh and it might be a good idea for a few people here to think back to 2004-05 and what was happening to our beloved Chrysler then. We are a hundred times better off under Sergio than we ever could have been under Schrempp.

Reactions: djsamuel

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Wester, a German engineer who also is Fiat-Chrysler's chief technical officer and Alfa Romeo's CEO, gets mad when he hears that the new Quattroporte is based on Chrysler underpinnings.

So sad, Herr Wester. We have been hearing this about the Chrysler 300 and Jeep Grand Cherokee for years!
MSN write up mentions the German underpinning, on the Grand Cherokee

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
So he doesn't get a chance to learn the American market before the call to kick him out the door begins? Just wondering.

I don't agree with every decision he's made - and I can say that about every leader of every automaker today. I do like the fact that he owns up to mistakes made. Some things he says aren't appropriate for consumers, and it makes me wonder if he realizes that when he says such things to a media or industry audience that it WILL filter down. But again, there's something to be said for honesty.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
TWX said:
I still don't like the change from a legacy of Dodge trucks. The Ram's head logo has been associated with Dodge for eighty years. It's frustrating that it's gone now.
I agree with you 100%, but for many of us, it will never stop being Dodge Trucks. I own a Dodge, not a Ram. ;)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:

Using Chrysler parts that people can recognize as a Chrysler part does not help their case. The door mirrors are distinctly Chrysler as is the headlight switch.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
i see quite a few *similar* components, however very little is identical. that's the key. parts sharing really helps, and having confidence in chrysler designs and components to use them on their own products tells you that this partnership will work well.

side note, i see quite a few neat little parts on that 3.0 turbo v6 that ive seen under the hoods of our own cars as well. nothing is identical though...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, there goes the Plymouth and Imperial ideas. It seems that Chrysler won't have no choice but to perhaps upscale their line up to bring in luxury customers.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
MoparNorm said:
I agree with you 100%, but for many of us, it will never stop being Dodge Trucks. I own a Dodge, not a Ram. ;)

I don't know. I've yet to hear anyone call my truck a Ram and not a Dodge. Dealers included. :dunno:

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Jose Santos said:
Well, there goes the Plymouth and Imperial ideas. It seems that Chrysler won't have no choice but to perhaps upscale their line up to bring in luxury customers.
If by Imperial, you mean that LX-based concept during the Daimler era, good. Honestly, the more that I looked at it, the more I was reminded of that episode of The Simpsons where Homer's long-lost brother recruits him to build a car for his car company. I think it was the floating headlights that triggered that reaction for me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
& it would be hard to fathom a front-drive based 300/LX for the next generation of the vehicle. RWD is what makes the 300/Charger special. If Chrysler wants a larger flagship to compete with Caddys XTS, I could see a big, elegant Imperial/400? as a business case once the new large front platform becomes available in 18-24 months.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts