Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The release of two Maseratis may provide some clues as to what the future holds for big Chrysler cars. The Ghibli, in particular, is roughly the size of the Chrysler 300C, but there much of the resemblance ends. It has its own engines, two turbocharged gasoline V-types and one modified VM diesel; and it has many unique features and different body style. Still, like the current Charger and 300C, Maserati has a double-wishbone front suspension and a five-arm multilink system — but it has been set up very differently, for sportier handling and a lighter feel. Based on these choices, and keeping in mind that Maserati has a different cost equation, it seems likely that the suspensions of the large Chrysler cars will not be completely redesigned when the current line is finally shut down. Instead, we now expect that they will be substantially altered, with major changes to..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Maybe the grill will finally get the nose job I think it needs.

Hmm 2016. Give them a couple of years to get the bugs ironed out. By then the youngest is through with college and the house is paid off.

·
The Negative Optimist
1,903 Posts
I would love to see something that sleek come out. ...But I'm torn because I'd love to see a scared off front facia at the same time. I remember reading (in '99) that the designers of the Charger concept had to leave that last part out, as far as

It'll be funny if/when people compare this (hopefully) more sleek sedan to the CLS, which unofficially borrowed from the 99 Concept's design.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
longlivechrysler said:
a scared off front facia at the same time. I remember reading (in '99) that the designers of the Charger concept had to leave that last part out, as far as
"scared off front facia" Can you explain it a little more? :)

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Very nice Jack!

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Jackratchett said:
"scared off front facia" Can you explain it a little more? :)
I read it as "squared off front facia" :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
longlivechrysler said:
I would love to see something that sleek come out. ...But I'm torn because I'd love to see a scared off front facia at the same time. I remember reading (in '99) that the designers of the Charger concept had to leave that last part out, as far as

It'll be funny if/when people compare this (hopefully) more sleek sedan to the CLS, which unofficially borrowed from the 99 Concept's design.
If I recall correctly, they even tried a modern interpretation of the second gen Charger grille on the '99 concept. One of the designers said that it did not translate well saying something to the effect of, "...it looked like it swallowed a harmonica."

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Charger Red said:
If I recall correctly, they even tried a modern interpretation of the second gen Charger grille on the '99 concept. One of the designers said that it did not translate well saying something to the effect of, "...it looked like it swallowed a harmonica."
Oh you probably couldn't copy that kind of front end. But the top of the grill could be horizontal making the car look wider than it is and mimicking second generation styling. The current hill and dale styling across the front is great for a landscape scene in the country but sure doesn't match any of the earlier model styling cues they put on the current Charger.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
If you used Ghibli style front on '99 Charger, it might work..

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
The Engine?

The Block?

Yes Decoder Rings to On.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Charger Red said:
We just need from the concept the rear end, C pillard and doors, that could turn into one of the most sharp looking cars in the market.
They already have the design which almost everybody loved, I cant understand them why they dont give it life !

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Mr.Source said:
We just need from the concept the rear end, C pillard and doors, that could turn into one of the most sharp looking cars in the market.
They already have the design which almost everybody loved, I cant understand them why they dont give it life !
How hard is it to turn the current Charger into the 99 concept?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
I read it as "squared off front facia" :)
Ok, Thanks. Thought maybe it was in reference to another post. :)

Mopar392 said:
How hard is it to turn the current Charger into the 99 concept?
The hardest part would be the front end because of the strut towers, rad location, and other components, make it difficult to lower the hood and fenders to the point of the concept Charger.
I am sure someone could make a fiberglass kit but the nose would probably have to be similar to the Challenger with the Daytona style bumper.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=daytona+challenger&client=firefox-a&hs=0US&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=g656UfrLMKS-2QWVvoHIBA&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=832

Was told some time ago that the concept was based on an LH, anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Jackratchett said:
The hardest part would be the front end because of the strut towers, rad location, and other components, make it difficult to lower the hood and fenders to the point of the concept Charger.
I am sure someone could make a fiberglass kit but the nose would probably have to be similar to the Challenger with the Daytona style bumper.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=daytona+challenger&client=firefox-a&hs=0US&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=g656UfrLMKS-2QWVvoHIBA&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=832
Here is a comparison between the 99 concept and 2nd Gen Chargers:

Can you mate the current Charger, from the A-pillar to the face, with the 99 concept?

The 2nd generation Charger front is too high..

Another possibility is, what if the concept was mated to front that is lower or as low as QP front??

Jackratchett said:
Was told some time ago that the concept was based on an LH, anyone know for sure?
When the 99 concept came out, I read somewhere that it is an exercise to show the LH flexibility to be RWD, hence the cab-forward design..

·
Registered
476 Posts
Mopar392 said:
The current Charger front is too high.. What if the concept was mateo to front that is lower or as low as QP front..

When the 99 concept came out, I read somewhere that it i. an exercise to show the LH flexibility to be RWD..
Some at the time called it just an Intrepid in drag. They later presumably went on to complain about the Charger having 4 doors and later, the Dart not having a Hemi.

I had many sleepless nights dreaming of it being my first brand new car.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Mopar392 said:
The current Charger front is too high.. What if the concept was mated to front that is lower or as low as QP front..

For production purposes or aftermarket?
For production, the fenders would have to have a higher, (for lack of a better word) bulge or curve on top like similar to the image in this thread where the hood would still
be as high in the center but drop down towrds the front and sides. The cooling module might have to be lower and wider. You would have to see how they did the Ghibli or Quattropote
because it would be the same for a Charger or 300.

You can see the Maserati's fender line go up as it nears the center of the wheel and strut tower then back down for that sleeker look.
CarsandGuitars said:
Some at the time called it just an Intrepid in drag. They later presumably went on to complain about the Charger having 4 doors and later, the Dart not having a Hemi.

I had many sleepless nights dreaming of it being my first brand new car.
The roof line does look like the Intrepid.

·
Durango Dave!
843 Posts
As nice as a design that the 99' Charger Concept was, please let us inject some reality...

That concept is now 14 years old... That design language, (akin to the Intrepid) is now dated. And as much as some of you say it is needed, that styling produced today would get bashed for its high beltline and long front overhang.

Could the current be more sleek? Yes,... As sleek as the 99'? No thanks.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Here is a quick and amateur sketch..

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
The front end on the 99 concept was never great looking... Sorry.

Amazing how so many people supposedly loved the four door Charger concept but then trashed the four door Charger when it became real.

Mopar392 said:
Here is a quick and amateur sketch..

Fantastic

1 - 20 of 68 Posts