Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Mike V. said:
The front end on the 99 concept was never great looking... Sorry.
Amazing how so many people supposedly loved the four door Charger concept but then trashed the four door Charger when it became real.

Fantastic
That's because you had to really look close to see the rear doors.
I'd be willing to bet that half of the Concept fans thought it was a 2 door. ;)

·
Durango Dave!
843 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Just another example that shows how uninformed/clueless people really are.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Here we go again with the negative language. I don't know who these people that you (all) have identified as the "uninformed/clueless" but to set the record straight, I was one of the people who was physically standing over the '99 concept and stated, "build it" to the custodians.

And, yeah, I knew that it had four doors. This was never a problem. There's a HUGE difference between the '99 concept and the production Charger. It's all about proper execution in which the production vehicle sorely lacked.

Question, who among the critics actually stood in front of the concept as I did?

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
Charger Red said:
Here we go again with the negative language. I don't know who these people that you (all) have identified as the "uninformed/clueless" but to set the record straight, I was one of the people who was physically standing over the '99 concept and stated, "build it" to the custodians.

And, yeah, I knew that it had four doors. This was never a problem. There's a HUGE difference between the '99 concept and the production Charger. It's all about proper execution in which the production vehicle sorely lacked.

Question, who among the critics actually stood in front of the concept as I did?
Ummm, don't believe us? Take a walk over the Facebook and look at the really uninformed, ridiculous comments people make on so call enthusiast fan pages.

Allpar members tend to be extremely well informed by comparison. No reason to get up in arms about a very realistic statement.

Mike

Reactions: Dave Z

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Mike V. said:
Ummm, don't believe us? Take a walk over the Facebook and look at the really uninformed, ridiculous comments people make on so call enthusiast fan pages.

Allpar members tend to be extremely well informed.

Mike
OK, then . So Allpar people are (generally) informed.

Regarding the rest of the ocean out there, life's too short to waste time on rank (and frequently arrogant) ignorance.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Charger Red said:
I wouldn't call myself a "critic", but I did. I didn't care for it as a whole. Some bits and pieces I liked, but not enough to say "take my money now and build me one."

They never built the Copperhead Concept, the Sling Shot Concept, the Demon Concept, or the Razor Concept either - and I liked all of those much more than the '99 Charger Concept.

Not everyone is uninformed and clueless - but those that are tend to make themselves known. ;)

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
I wouldn't call myself a "critic", but I did. I didn't care for it as a whole. Some bits and pieces I liked, but not enough to say "take my money now and build me one."

They never built the Copperhead Concept, the Sling Shot Concept, the Demon Concept, or the Razor Concept either - and I liked all of those much more than the '99 Charger Concept.

Not everyone is uninformed and clueless - but those that are tend to make themselves known. ;)
Excellent post. I too saw the '99 concept in person and preferred under things to it, like the '98 Pronto Spider concept.

Mike

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Bajanbuoy said:
As nice as a design that the 99' Charger Concept was, please let us inject some reality...

That concept is now 14 years old... That design language, (akin to the Intrepid) is now dated. And as much as some of you say it is needed, that styling produced today would get bashed for its high beltline and long front overhang.

Could the current be more sleek? Yes,... As sleek as the 99'? No thanks.
Yet Dodge is currently selling a Challenger that looks like the 1970s Challenger.
High beltline? You mean the LX sedans?
And that front end isn't long. It is correctly proportioned. The current Charger has too blunt and too stubby a front end. Some length would improve the looks.

·
Durango Dave!
843 Posts
Charger Red said:

Wow,... Jump to conclusions much?

I did not know that my post said "Charger Red is uninformed and clueless"... That surely is news to me.

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
CherokeeVision said:
Yet Dodge is currently selling a Challenger that looks like the 1970s Challenger.
And that front end isn't long. It is correctly proportioned. The current Charger has too blunt and too stubby a front end. Some length would improve the looks.

This goes back to subjective opinions on looks. There really is no right or wrong answer.

Mike

·
Durango Dave!
843 Posts
CherokeeVision said:

While you did a good job with the Chop, I would prefer a meet somewhere in the middle... A smidge more nose would be ok, but your chop is just too much beak for my taste, lol.

And I personally don't have an issue with the high beltlines, gives greater road presence in my opinion.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The belt line on the Challenger is even higher than the Magnum and 300.
I think what folks are responding to in the 99 is sleek and swoopy looks that the boxy LXs don't have, not just the gingerbread. Passed a Tesla today. Definitely some LH swoopiness in that car or at least the same inspiration from Euro GTs.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
MoparNorm said:
That's because you had to really look close to see the rear doors.
Agree with you.

Mopar392 said:
Here is a comparison between the 99 concept and 2nd Gen Chargers:

Can you mate the current Charger, from the A-pillar to the face, with the 99 concept?

The 2nd generation Charger front is too high..

Another possibility is, what if the concept was mated to front that is lower or as low as QP front??
No questions, the concept wins hands down.

When the 99 concept came out, I read somewhere that it is an exercise to show the LH flexibility to be RWD, hence the cab-forward design..

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Would a New Charger really look good with a Challenger Front? how would the Headlights be designed? Remember Hide-A-Ways are legal.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
69DartGTS said:
Would a New Charger really look good with a Challenger Front? how would the Headlights be designed? Remember Hide-A-Ways are legal.
No, they are not legal anymore.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Would this work??

it kinda looks like a Mustang..

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

Mr.Source said:
No, they are not legal anymore.
As far as I know, there is no legislation against them. You could even get them as late as 2004 with the C5 Corvette.

They are rarely used, as they are expensive, heavy, need to be designed carefully to "fail open" and they've fallen out of favor stylistically.

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
AutoTechnician said:
 As far as I know, there is no legislation against them. You could even get them as late as 2004 with the C5 Corvette.

They are rarely used, as they are expensive, heavy, need to be designed carefully to "fail open" and they've fallen out of favor stylistically.
Pop up or flip out headlights were deemed illegal because of pedestrian safety standards. Essentially, if it rotates and protrudes from the vehicle it is not legal, specifically in Europe.

Additionally, they can be warranty nightmares and typically cause owners grief over the course of their life. And, as you stated, stylistically they are no longer preferred or practical because of aerodynamics lights are are currently available.

Mike

·
Registered
821 Posts
Just keep all Fiat stylists out of the design area. I never liked the 99 concept either. The front clip had way too much 1985 Camaro in it.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts