Allpar Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
plymouth1 said:
Just keep all Fiat stylists out of the design area. I never liked the 99 concept either. The front clip had way too much 1985 Camaro in it.
Indeed, the new Cherokee is definitely an outstanding piece of styling, while the Ghibli is a POS ;)

But - generalizations aside - I entirely agree! With the exception of future Chryslers (IF they will indeed be also sold as Lancias), I think each region must continue to have its specific style labs. AFAIK, that's the way it has been so far even within with FIAT (Europe and South America have separate style labs, and they are working on a new one in China), and so far all style for Chrysler models have been done at AH...for better or cherokee-worse ;)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Bajanbuoy said:
Wow,... Jump to conclusions much?

I did not know that my post said "Charger Red is uninformed and clueless"... That surely is news to me.
I think that posts #24 & #25 established that this reference was to those not within Allpar - probably not material suitable for News and Rumors much less the current topic.

All is good.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Bajanbuoy said:
While you did a good job with the Chop, I would prefer a meet somewhere in the middle... A smidge more nose would be ok, but your chop is just too much beak for my taste, lol.

And I personally don't have an issue with the high beltlines, gives greater road presence in my opinion.
Not mine. I apologize. I do not know who did this. I think I got it from DodgeCharger.com a long time ago. The person that did it was showing that with just a little bit of effort Dodge could have made it look more like a Charger. Of course we know that the car was designed before they put the Charger name on it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
plymouth1 said:
Just keep all Fiat stylists out of the design area. I never liked the 99 concept either. The front clip had way too much 1985 Camaro in it.
Always felt the same way about the 99 concept Charger. Very strong design with the exception of the very weak un-Charger like front end. Awesome rear 3/4 view.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
And to those that say that retro is dead why do we have modern Mini, 500 and Beatle? This is because these "retro" styles have transitioned to iconic despite (except perhaps for Mini), the modern versions have the engines and drivetrains on the opposite ends of the vehicle.

So, addressing modern Charger styling, here's the following proposal: I see two camps for Charger people, those that think Charger styling is the domain of iconic and those that do not. Depending on which camp one falls into will usually determine how well they receive the '99 concept.

·
Registered
179 Posts
From what I remember of when the 99 concept actually debuted, the consensus here in allpar was everyone absolutely loved it. Some quibbled a bit about the front end, but even among those who did they still thought it was awesome on the whole. Perhaps some of that sentiment could be chalked up to the starvation-level desperation for anything approaching rear drive muscle and V8 from mopar at that point in time. There were posts from one guy who claimed to be an insider saying that the project was approved and then of course killed, but he stopped posting shortly after that. Me, I loved it too but the whole exercise seemed too distant with the CNG, and them not having a rwd chassis and all to ever be a production reality so I never got my hopes up too much.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Tommy Boy said:
From what I remember of when the 99 concept actually debuted, the consensus here in allpar was everyone absolutely loved it. Some quibbled a bit about the front end, but even among those who did they still thought it was awesome on the whole. Perhaps some of that sentiment could be chalked up to the starvation-level desperation for anything approaching rear drive muscle and V8 from mopar at that point in time. There were posts from one guy who claimed to be an insider saying that the project was approved and then of course killed, but he stopped posting shortly after that. Me, I loved it too but the whole exercise seemed too distant with the CNG, and them not having a rwd chassis and all to ever be a production reality so I never got my hopes up too much.
Concepts are usually not complete packages. Things may be packaged together but that's not the same thing. Interior styling ideas might be destined for one type product. Technology for another product. Drive train for something else. Only in exterior styling can you say that what you see has the potential to show up on a vehicle the size of the concept. Mainly because styling cues don't often translate well to smaller or larger vehicles.
Concepts are as much about gauging opinion on (and hinting at) design as they are to let people know that the company is exploring the future.

The LH sedans were designed with thought of producing an AWD version. The North-South engine layout could have allowed a RWD version. So it was only the CNG part that has not realistic.
Having bought the 94 Eagle Vision and then seeing the 99 concept I just knew that I'd be talking my wife into replacing the Vision with that Charger. She would be getting a big roomy car and I would be getting RWD.
Then the LX happened. A car that was designed not with the 99 concept in mind but the Super 8 as a starting point. Went from sleek to blocky.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
longlivechrysler said:
I would love to see something that sleek come out. ...But I'm torn because I'd love to see a scared off front facia at the same time. I remember reading (in '99) that the designers of the Charger concept had to leave that last part out, as far as

It'll be funny if/when people compare this (hopefully) more sleek sedan to the CLS, which unofficially borrowed from the 99 Concept's design.
What a Charger front end could look like with a Ghibli transparent overlay to show the same hood fender and grill locations.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
That's something else. It would look incredible IMO.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,117 Posts
Jackratchett said:
What a Charger front end could look like with a Ghibli transparent overlay to show the same hood fender and grill locations.

Thats a constructive offering. No matter what It has to translate to a Dodge front and rear clip plus identifiable profile or else its just another import.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Jackratchett said:

·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
2,032 Posts
Jackratchett said:

I like the hood with it's down word vent. But the rest of it, grill & head lights, I sure hope not.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Jack, can you put a current SRT Charger grille & headlights on it?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
Jack, can you put a current SRT Charger grille & headlights on it?

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Jackratchett said:
I like the grille.

Headlights would have to be restyled to work though

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
I like the grille.Headlights would have to be restyled to work thoughThanks!
Agreed, they would have to be tapered towards the center, like in the Dart.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts