Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Jeep will build its millionth “JK” series Wrangler today at the Toledo Assembly Plant, just after 11 am. The JK series started up in 2007, boasting, compared with prior Wranglers, better ground clearance, larger wheels and tires, enhanced Dana front and rear solid axles, optional next-generation Command-Trac® and Rock-Trac™ transfer cases, new electric axle lockers, and an electronic disconnecting front sway bar to increase wheel travel. Meanwhile, on-road performance was improved with a 100% stiffer frame (in bending), a wider track, lower spring rates, advanced shock tuning, and increased jounce and rebound travel. The interior was larger, with 4.6 inches more hip and 5.1 inches more shoulder room combined with additional 2 inches in couple, 1 inch in rear-seat leg room and 2 inches behind rear seat. There were also more open-air options, with dozens of different door, top and windshield combinations; new three-piece modular hardtop and innovative Sunrider™ soft top. Amid..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
993 Posts
Allpar News System said:

Jeep will build its millionth “JK” series Wrangler today at the Toledo Assembly Plant, just after 11 am. The JK series started up in 2007, boasting, compared with prior Wranglers, better ground clearance, larger wheels and tires, enhanced Dana front and rear solid axles, optional next-generation Command-Trac® and Rock-Trac™ transfer cases, new electric axle lockers, and an electronic disconnecting front sway bar to increase wheel travel. Meanwhile, on-road performance was improved with a 100% stiffer frame (in bending), a wider track, lower spring rates, advanced shock tuning, and increased jounce and rebound travel. The interior was larger, with 4.6 inches more hip and 5.1 inches more shoulder room combined with additional 2 inches in couple, 1 inch in rear-seat leg room and 2 inches behind rear seat. There were also more open-air options, with dozens of different door, top and windshield combinations; new three-piece modular hardtop and innovative Sunrider™ soft top. Amid..

View the original, full post
Now I know why Chrysler is in no rush to redesign the JK. Why invest money in retooling when the current model is selling so well.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
IMPERIAL4EVER said:
Now I know why Chrysler is in no rush to redesign the JK. Why invest money in retooling when the current model is selling so well.
...and...sales are growing, not declining. In fact, the plant is over capacity, overworked, and bursting at the seams.
The main reason to remodel the plant is to increase capacity.

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,932 Posts
Two and four door pickup models, and a diesel option, and they could leave the existing JK models alone for many years to come and still keep setting sales records IMHO.

·
Registered
288 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Chrysler is redesigning the JK but I think they are "in no rush" because they want to make this redesign really good... they've talked frequently, if not clearly, about expanding the Wrangler line as a sub-brand.
If you put a picture of every currently sold Jeep in front of someone and asked them which one is the Wrangler most would not know, but some would guess right. If you threw in some of the older Jeeps, conepts and trucks the number that guess right would drop alot. If you did the same thing and asked them which is Jeep, just about every one would point at the Wrangler. That is a bad starting point for brand recognition for a sub brand

Congrats the people who build them on the millionth JK

·
Registered
212 Posts
auric said:
If you put a picture of every currently sold Jeep in front of someone and asked them which one is the Wrangler most would not know, but some would guess right. If you threw in some of the older Jeeps, conepts and trucks the number that guess right would drop alot. If you did the same thing and asked them which is Jeep, just about every one would point at the Wrangler. That is a bad starting point for brand recognition for a sub brand

I don't disagree that a sub brand may not be a great idea as they are already kind of a sub brand, but I bet a large majority could pick a wrangler out of a Jeep lineup. The JK has been a huge success, but as a 2010 owner I wish they would have put more than one coat of paint on them :) Mine scratches when the wind blows :)

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
auric said:
Based upon what information???
It's safe to say that most could pick out the Wrangler.
I do agree that there are some who can't tell a Power Wagon from a Jeep, but I would not call them "most".
Demographics may vary...

·
Registered
917 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Chrysler is redesigning the JK but I think they are "in no rush" because they want to make this redesign really good... they've talked frequently, if not clearly, about expanding the Wrangler line as a sub-brand.
This is odd, under allpar 2014 model year it says. The wrangler Carrie's on essentially unchanged until summer of 2016, when it comes out in three different redesigned forms. How minty will buy now, or wait until the summer of 2016?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
tomtex said:
This is odd, under allpar 2014 model year it says. The wrangler Carrie's on essentially unchanged until summer of 2016, when it comes out in three different redesigned forms. How minty will buy now, or wait until the summer of 2016?
Well, there are two schools of thought regarding that. One says to buy now in case they screw up the 2016, another says wait until the diesel is available.
Jeep has already said the 2016 won't be a big departure from the current Wrangler, the big changes come in 2026.

·
Registered
917 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Well, there are two schools of thought regarding that. One says to buy now in case they screw up the 2016, another says wait until the diesel is available.
Jeep has already said the 2016 won't be a big departure from the current Wrangler, the big changes come in 2026.
Thats a long time to wait for a diesel and 9 speed?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
tomtex said:
Thats a long time to wait for a diesel and 9 speed?
Wrangler will never get the 9 speed, those are for FWD only.
As for a diesel, they have been teasing us since 2007 and before, so yes, that wait is long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts