Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chrysler has made a final decision about which brand(s) will get a minivan, design chief Ralph Gilles told Allpar this week. When we asked at the New York Auto Show about the new design direction for Chrysler and Lancia would affect the new Chrysler minivan, Mr. Gilles said that the question of which brand or brands are getting a minivan was “decided internally, but they’re not decided externally. We don’t talk about what we’re doing externally, because we don’t want to cause any undue concern with our dealers or the public. But internally, the plan is quite cemented and we’re well on our way. We’re deep in development right now.” Sergio Marchionne had told Allpar and other outlets in January, at the Detroit Auto Show, that the new minivans would show up around 2015-2016, and that their architecture had been determined. At the time, he said that no final..

View the original, full post

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
It appears that someone simply refuses to listen to outside (customer) input.
Very sad and unfortunate.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
On the other hand, until they announce it to the public there's always the possibility of changing their minds.

So, from a customer perspective, this does nothing to clarify at all. If anything it muddies the waters even further, as now even if they do not plan to change they've given us the impression that they do.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
JRS200x said:
The brand new... JEEP TRAIL & COUNTRY minivan. You know its coming...
That's right, No Dodge or Chrysler Minivan, just a Jeep!!!

Ok ok. In reality the news is barely news. It's gone from undecided, to they are decided, with absolutely no clue what the decision is. Heck, he hasn't even said that they DID decide in the end to kill one. On the other hand, the remark about not wanting to concern dealers or customers suggests they are un-minivaning a minivan (Translation for some people who don't understand what that means: Which vehicle they are killing)

I think the one shame of it is, some of the line ups need to grow. At best they'll stay the same size, or shrink. Really, keep the Durango, Journey, and both Minivans, AND give chrysler a Crossover, it's lineup does need to grow.

·
2,570 Posts
My assumption is the Dodge gets the axe.

·
Registered
257 Posts
They could keep the Dodge Caravan with minor changes (for the budget and/or conservative market) and bring a revolutionary crossover-like minivan approach to the Chrysler brand, where they can get higher profits.

·
Administrator
35,244 Posts
Or maybe there's no plan to drop one or the other.

Maybe they just don't like telegraphing their every move to Toyota and Honda.

I don't see this as "they're not listening to customers." At some point you're done listening and you start moving. That's where they are now, they spent three years on this decision.

PS> Now we know why the Jeep Wagoneer was delayed, Norm.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
PS> Now we know why the Jeep Wagoneer was delayed, Norm.
??? What did I miss? The Wagoneer is minivan based?
Maybe they are listening...and they're just tone deaf... ;)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Someone actually made a decision? WOW! With the Dakota they are still exploring...and for how many more years are they going to explore?

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
willy said:
Someone actually made a decision? WOW! With the Dakota they are still exploring...and for how many more years are they going to explore?
They may have made a decision on the Dakota replacement as well.

Just because nobody who knows about a decision/non-decision is talking does not mean there was no decision.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
JRS200x said:
Norm is never happy, you should know that by now! ;)
Come on, I remember being happy at least 5 times... Maybe 6... ;)

·
Registered
874 Posts
It's hard to believe they'd make such a foolish mistake.

Don't get me wrong, both are fine..fine vehicles... but they target specific people in their own ways. Killing one off doesn't mean double the sales for the other.

something odd is going on at MoPar lately.. even the few package reveals this show circuit has been lackluster. Almost like they went shopping at Pep Boys and said "we'll take 10,000 of the stickers, 3,000 of these rims".. etc

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
MoparNorm said:
It appears that someone simply refuses to listen to outside (customer) input.
Very sad and unfortunate.
Yep, we know that, just look at the new Cherokee. ;)

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
LeeRyder said:
It's hard to believe they'd make such a foolish mistake.

Don't get me wrong, both are fine..fine vehicles... but they target specific people in their own ways. Killing one off doesn't mean double the sales for the other.

something odd is going on at MoPar lately.. even the few package reveals this show circuit has been lackluster. Almost like they went shopping at Pep Boys and said "we'll take 10,000 of the stickers, 3,000 of these rims".. etc
Agreed 100%

·
Registered
647 Posts
Off the top of my head I can list 14 Chryc products I've owned in my life, some from new, way back to the 1951 Dodge Coronet with 123 1/2" wheelbase, with flathead six cylinder, first car motor I took apart and fixed up while a teenager. Didn't start very good in winter (years later I learned the GMs and Fords from that era were not much better), so what I used to do was hook up two 6-volt batteries to make 12 volts and that would spin the motor over in a hurry! After all these years I will say this: if, and this is a big if, if Surgen discontiniues the one mini-van, I think that is ....ok let me put it this way, very unwise, and I just may vote with my money, ie, I could do my car shopping at the Fix Or Repair Daily, or Garage Man's Companion dealerships.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
MoparNorm said:
??? What did I miss? The Wagoneer is minivan based?
Maybe they are listening...and they're just tone deaf... ;)
Going back to 2011, I remember there was talk of the new E platform being suitable for Minivans, and of course large sedans+wagons+coupes. The name was "executive"/"executive-EVO" platform or something along those lines.
It substitutes the LX and RT.

I didn't think the Wagoneer was supposed to be built on one of those, I assumed on WK2...

1 - 20 of 154 Posts