Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, Cars.com’s “American-Made Index” has made headlines, as Ford F-150's beat the Toyota Camry’s domestic content. This is an important bragging point because “Buy American” has long been a watch phrase for many in the U.S., whether out of patriotism or concern for the economy. The problem has been determining which vehicles are American.

By law, every light vehicle has a Monroney Label (the “window sticker”) with a domestic content statement that includes: The percentage U.S./Canadian parts content;  The names of any countries other than the U.S. and Canada which contribute 15% or more of the equipment, with the percentage for each such country (a maximum of two countries); The final assembly point by city and state (where appropriate), and country; The country of origin of the engine; The country of origin of the transmission; and A statement which explains that parts content does not include final assembly (except the..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
560 Posts
Good science. I have always believed that "Where the profit goes" is the largest part of the equation. Other than that, building in the USA only creates service jobs, not American wealth opportunities.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Made in America means North or South America.

Made in the USA means made in the USA.

I wish people would get it right.

With regard to the Kogod Index, be careful.........Fiat-Chrysler may not have their global headquarters in the US after consolidation.

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,931 Posts
tazdevil said:
Good science. I have always believed that "Where the profit goes" is the largest part of the equation. Other than that, building in the USA only creates service jobs, not American wealth opportunities.
This has always been my belief, too.

Pre-Daimler, Chrysler had the highest American parts content of the Big Three. The Dakota pickup was ranked somewhere around 95% at one point. With more advanced electronics (often developed in Asia) now going into all the vehicles and not just top-of-the-line models, and of course components shared with Fiat, we'll probably never see those kinds of numbers again unfortunately.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If it's not union made I won't buy or lease any vehicles as there are other choices !

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
GuidoFL said:
If it's not union made I won't buy or lease any vehicles as there are other choices !
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as you've made such known in other posts.

Pre-emptively, let's keep the union/non-union bashing comments out of this topic, please.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
billfrombuckhead said:
What percent of Chrysler's production is domestic content and how does that compare vs other car makers?
That's the point of the thread, click on the link in post #1 to find out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts