Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chrysler announced changes to their SRT cars for September 1, but there have apparently been more changes, according to source MoparNut. Challenger will come out with one new color, Header Orange, at launch, with more colors later in the year. We previously announced the new Challenger Core model; Chrysler believes that the cut-price Core will be responsible for nearly half of sales, which may explain why the “fewer frills” idea has moved beyond the Charger Super Bee. The high-performance/low-frills idea earlier resulted in some of the best-selling Mopar muscle cars — Plymouth Road Runner and Plymouth Duster, among others.

Surprisingly, given that Challenger is the only SRT car other than Viper to come with a manual transmission, roughly half of Challengers sold have come that way. There remain no apparent plans to make a manual available on Charger, or with V6 Challengers. Buyers who opt for the Core save..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
246 Posts
Odd that the corp. won't let dealers stock the core models ? Sort of defeats the purpose ?

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
SRT Chrysler, no, shouldn't be a stripper, Dodge, yes, I agree with that one. Road Runner emphasis on performance at a reasonable price, yes, well handling suspension, yes, but not all the gadgets. It would also reduce weight a little bit, which is always, always, a plus. Not to mention the cost savings. If they want to sell in greater volume, and since many which do want the performance end of the SRT, they most likely want to drive the cars, not live in comfort for the price, makes it a greater choice compared to the competition, too.

·
Registered
384 Posts
GuidoFL said:
Odd that the corp. won't let dealers stock the core models ? Sort of defeats the purpose ?
The "Customer Order Only" applies to the 300 SRT CORE... which would explain why I have never seen a 300 SRT CORE in the Flesh.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Dave said:
I think they feel that a stripped down Chrysler defeats the purpose ;)

or they're afraid dealers won't order the pricier one for the lots at all.
Apparently 1 local dealer thinks a lower performance/expensive car sells bettter. I checked a dealer website last night, they have a 2009 Challenger R/T for $44Gs and a 2012 SRT8 w/ 6 speed for $42Gs.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Well get over it, I' m not a fan of dropping prices because who will want my trade in 2 years , I have been very fortunate to trade in 2 Challengers in 3 years, ,,,,,,,
I want the next one .....but I am vvvverrry interested in the next 300, I'm a kid at heart but I like a plusssssssshy ride.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Good Move.

Maybe a response to the soon to be released Chevrolet SS?

Its unknown performance and untested sales ability, perhaps an incentive to drop the price of the SRT to similar money.

Tho I dont know how many Chevy enthusiasts cross purchase to a Mopar, but the cars will be competitive.

The R/T will be too slow compared to the SS, even tho it is cheaper.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
The only camaro fan to cross shop would be one with a family of 4. They will not fit in the camaro like they do with the challenger. I love loading up 4 adults and going for a 7 hr cruise. That won't happen in a stang or camaro

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,994 Posts
or someone over 6' tall. The bf cannot fit in a Camaro.. at all.

·
3,813 Posts
suzq044 said:
or someone over 6' tall. The bf cannot fit in a Camaro.. at all.
I am 6'2" and fit in a camaro just fine. Visibility sucks, but that is true if you are 5' tall sooo... Your bf must be all torso or something. Even my dad at 6'6" fits in it, he isn't super comfortable, but he fits just fine.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
JRS200x said:
I am 6'2" and fit in a camaro just fine. Visibility sucks, but that is true if you are 5' tall sooo... Your bf must be all torso or something. Even my dad at 6'6" fits in it, he isn't super comfortable, but he fits just fine.
Well, in fairness, not fitting usually implies "not fitting comfortably"..
For instance, I am 6'1" and admittedly portly, and generally broad shouldered, (and size 16 shoes, foot room becomes a real problem in cramped spaces). I CAN fit in the 3 row seat of a Dodge Journey with the 2 row seat push back into place. But I'd hardly call it enjoyable..

I've sat in Camaro's. It's passable, but as my daily driver I would not enjoy it. I find my legs have a fairly narrow space in which to sit, and my right leg rests uncomfortably against the center console area, and simply feels cramped. This problem is non existant in the challenger for me. Personally, I do not wish them to shrink the Challenger. At this point, it's sales are not far from it's competitors, and it remains, for me, the only car in it's category which I could comfortably drive.

Even when I weighed less, I found it challenging, I am not even comfortable in most midsized cars, so I am a wee bit picky. But I doubt I am the only one. I say bring on the updates, but keep the Challengers essential dimensions. Today's retro muscle cars (or pony cars) are no longer just about performance. Few people can afford to get a new car JUST for that purpose. It needs to also be fully usable, and when all the pissing matches are over, the Challenger is the car you actually want to live with, day in and day out.

·
3,813 Posts
I guess that was more my point, that just because someone is over 6' tall and doesn't fit comfortably doesn't mean that ANYONE over 6' won't fit in. Like I said, i fit comfortably in a camaro, but hate the visibility, even my dad fits, but by no means comfortably. Just because one 6' person doesn't fit, doesn't mean another won't.

Oh, and holy hell, 6'1" with 16 size shoes????

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
JRS200x said:
I guess that was more my point, that just because someone is over 6' tall and doesn't fit comfortably doesn't mean that ANYONE over 6' won't fit in. Like I said, i fit comfortably in a camaro, but hate the visibility, even my dad fits, but by no means comfortably. Just because one 6' person doesn't fit, doesn't mean another won't.

Oh, and holy hell, 6'1" with 16 size shoes????
My dad and I are both 6'2"

His height is in his torso, where mine is in my legs. He can't get into a Protege5 but I had no problem. I sit farther away from a steering wheel than he does. Etc...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I like that colour. It looks good in person. Any news on the lime green , or whatever they want to call it ?

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Can we get Sublime and Plum Crazy on a Dart? :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts