Allpar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The 2013 Ram 1500 has been unveiled and is available for Build & Price on the Ram web site. That makes the mystery Ram one of our readers captured (via iPhone) a double-mystery. If it's just a 2013 Ram, why cover the tail-lights? It does not appear to be a heavy-duty model, which would explain the camouflage. The photographer wrote, "There is no badging at all, different wheels and brand new tires -- you can see the tire label still on them. You could see fumes from the tailpipe."

Our best guess is that this is a light-duty diesel Ram being tested, with either the Cummins V6 diesel or, more likely, a VM diesel. While the Cummins would attract many buyers through the strength of the brand name, Fiat itself owns VM now, and will be using the 3-liter VM V6 in other American vehicles. Adding the Cummins..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
267 Posts
testing for fiat, maybe? With no badges, they might be going overseas with it and putting it under a new name/brand

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chrysler spent a ton of money on the V-8 1500 program prior to Fiat (I know this through an engineer related to the program). Not sure what the reasoning was (haven't got a straight answer yet) but I see no issue with the 3.0 VM hitting the shores.

Cummins/Mercruiser purchases 2.8l vm motori engines right from itatly to be marinized and sold under the C/M brand.
http://www.importgenius.com/importers/cummins-mercruiser-diesel-marine#sample

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a Jeep Liberty CRD, which has the 2.8L DOHC turbo four cylinder VM Motori diesel. I purchased it new in `05, soon after they became available. I have 125K trouble free miles on the Liberty CRD as of today, it is a fine engine. It NEVER uses any oil, not even a cup in 10K miles. It always runs splendidly, like most diesels. It has no leaks or any other annoyances, it keeps clean under the hood. No funny noises, no stumbles or stalling.
I hope they do put the VM V6 diesel in the half ton Ram. I would seriously consider purchasing one if they do.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Not on a bet. No new name, no new brand. That truck is a MULE CAR.
Are you saying it's a truck mule (presumably diesel?) or a car mule disguised as a truck?

It looks alot similar to the HD spy photos here http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/07/more-spied-ram-2500-hd-crew-cab.html

possibly a 6.4?
The post specifies that it doesn't seem to be an HD. A clear shot of the wheels or un-photoshopping the license plate might tell the tale for sure.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
It's a manufacturer's plate... can you really tell HD from regular by the plate? Just a normal car plate.
Compare the plate numbers to those on the HD pilot seen in the link above. If they're the same, this is probably the same truck we've already seen, just from a different angle. If they're different plates, then....

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I'd expect an SRT to have much wider tires and a lower stance.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Just saw this thread. Those are 2014 tail lights, LEDs, very similar, (if not one of the same trucks) which I saw in Colorado.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts