Allpar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Jeep CEO Mike Manley was named 2013 Executive of the Year last night by the New England Motor Press Association while the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 4x4 added more awards to their already impressive collections. The Jeep Grand Cherokee was named the “Official Winter Vehicle of New England” for an unprecedented third consecutive year. The Grand Cherokee was hailed for its unbeatable combination of all-weather on- and off-road capability, comfort, luxury, sophistication, build quality and value by the NEMPA jurors. In addition, the 2011 Grand Cherokee earned the Wheels TV “Previously Owned Vehicle of the Year” (POV) award. The 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 was named NEMPA’s “Best All-Weather Pickup Truck.” This is the second “Best All-Weather Pickup Truck” win for the Ram in the past four years. In presenting the Executive Award to Manley, NEMPA President Keith Griffin cited Jeep’s outstanding product lineup and its commitment to New..

View the original, full post

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Jeep CEO Mike Manley was named 2013 Executive of the Year last night by the New England Motor Press Association while the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 4x4 added more awards to their already impressive collections. The Jeep Grand Cherokee was named the “Official Winter Vehicle of New England” for an unprecedented third consecutive year. The Grand Cherokee was hailed for its unbeatable combination of all-weather on- and off-road capability, comfort, luxury, sophistication, build quality and value by the NEMPA jurors. In addition, the 2011 Grand Cherokee earned the Wheels TV “Previously Owned Vehicle of the Year” (POV) award. The 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 was named NEMPA’s “Best All-Weather Pickup Truck.” This is the second “Best All-Weather Pickup Truck” win for the Ram in the past four years. In presenting the Executive Award to Manley, NEMPA President Keith Griffin cited Jeep’s outstanding product lineup and its commitment to New..

View the original, full post

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I must say, living in the desert southwest, it's always amazed me how few people in the northern reaches of the country drive vehicles that handle inclement weather well. Lots of 4wd trucks and traditional SUVs here, but up there, mostly FWD cars.

Back before they discontinued it we had considered an AWD Magnum to be a great choice if we would have to move to Boston.

I can see why people may want to shy away from larger SUVs and trucks, but it's good to see that for those who can use them, that Mopar's offerings are the best.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
That is the first mention of Manley, in many moons.
There was nary a mention of him, when the KL was revealed, primarily the talk and flack was centered around Gilles.

It is interesting that he seems to have gone underground during this period.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
MoparNorm said:
That is the first mention of Manley, in many moons.
There was nary a mention of him, when the KL was revealed, primarily the talk and flack was centered around Gilles.

It is interesting that he seems to have gone underground during this period.
And it's all your fault. If you wouldn't make fun of the guy so much, maybe he wouldn't be hiding from you! :lol:

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I haven't mentioned him in six months, maybe he thought it was safe to come out? ;)
With the way the Brand management is set up, he is more like the hostage, than the villain.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
TWX said:
I must say, living in the desert southwest, it's always amazed me how few people in the northern reaches of the country drive vehicles that handle inclement weather well. Lots of 4wd trucks and traditional SUVs here, but up there, mostly FWD cars.

Back before they discontinued it we had considered an AWD Magnum to be a great choice if we would have to move to Boston.

I can see why people may want to shy away from larger SUVs and trucks, but it's good to see that for those who can use them, that Mopar's offerings are the best.
Other than two RWD Dakotas, we have had only FWD vehicles since the 1980's and been just fine. You don't need a 4x4 truck in the winter, but it sure is better!

My Caliber still surprises me with how awesome it is in the snow. I just about got our van stuck last winter because of a freak combination of circumstances, but I know the Caliber would have been fine in the same circumstances.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
TWX said:

Must come down to a combo of snow / proper tires & driver skill. I have yet to have issues with my RWD Charger with a set of snows. And that includes several snowstormy trips home from Ithaca NY back into PA :)

That having been said, I too have on multiple occasions considered trading my Charger for an AWD Maggie simply because it's a better and safer family car. I know I am, but this is a tell-tale sign: I must be getting old. :(

I've considered the new GC as a very good potential next-purchase. Still would prefer an LX Hemi or SRT for the fun factor but the Jeep has it beat in usefulness for my current applications.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Tomguy said:
I've considered the new GC as a very good potential next-purchase. Still would prefer an LX Hemi or SRT for the fun factor but the Jeep has it beat in usefulness for my current applications.
Why can't you have fun and be (a bit) practical?

:w00t:

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
TWX said:
FWD cars are, in fact, "vehicles that handle incelment weather well".

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
SouthPawXJ said:
Why can't you have fun and be (a bit) practical?

:w00t:
It's on the short list of potential next-rides, it's just hard to justify even worse MPG requiring premium and even higher tire cost :(
But if the time, price, and other things align properly - who knows :)

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
FWD cars are, in fact, "vehicles that handle incelment weather well".
Maybe so, but it sure seems that ground clearance on an unplowed road is a problem.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Small FWD, mid FWD, large FWD, small RWD, mid RWD, large RWD, pickup trucks, full-size vans, minivans - and never used AWD or 4WD...learn how they react in the snow and ice and you're all good.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Small FWD, mid FWD, large FWD, small RWD, mid RWD, large RWD, pickup trucks, full-size vans, minivans - and never used AWD or 4WD...learn how they react in the snow and ice and you're all good.
Excellent point.

Also applicable to "normal" conditions as well.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I won't deny that I don't speak from experience with the snow either. I've only driven in snow in an older 4wd SUV, on an unplowed forest service-type unpaved road that no one had driven on subsequent to its snowing before I got to it.

I had just heard of family members getting stuck in winter conditions, and it sounded like they wouldn't have gotten stuck if they'd been driving something with more drive wheels and more ground clearance. These family members are in rural Indiana though, and it may take some time for plows to get out to clear the roads where they are.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
TWX said:
I won't deny that I don't speak from experience with the snow either. I've only driven in snow in an older 4wd SUV, on an unplowed forest service-type unpaved road that no one had driven on subsequent to its snowing before I got to it.

I had just heard of family members getting stuck in winter conditions, and it sounded like they wouldn't have gotten stuck if they'd been driving something with more drive wheels and more ground clearance. These family members are in rural Indiana though, and it may take some time for plows to get out to clear the roads where they are.
Those help, but there is also the issue of driver over-confidence with those. How many SUVs do you see in ditches in snowstorms because the drivers think that AWD helps them stop better?

Mind you, driver skill comes into the picture as well. My neighbour got their Caliber stuck a couple winters ago at the edge of their driveway (after the plow had gone by) Just to see if I would get stuck too, I tried another unplowed driveway and was ok. But I also knew not to go full throttle with my wheels turned all the way to the left from a stop in deep snow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts