Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
News analysis.  How can these events be related? Detroit News predicted that the slow-selling Dodge Avenger would be continued by several years, even as the 2015 Chrysler 200 (or 200 replacement) made it obsolete. Development of a new mid-sized rear wheel drive Dodge sedan was announced. Christopher Chrouch, who snapped the first spy photos of a new car assumed to be the 200, said there were two different cars under the camouflage. Newer spy shots show a Dodge-like interior (which could be Chrysler’s new design direction; it is heavily 200C-concept influenced.) The “Dodge Barracuda” name was rejected.

We do not have official information, but here is our theory: To keep the Avenger name in use until the 2016 car arrives, which should help sales as current and past Avengers return to upgrade their cars, there will be a Dodge Avenger produced in the interim. We believe this was a..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Stratus II?

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
It's the things that make you go hmmmm.

Mike

·
Registered
257 Posts
A new FWD Avenger for a 2-years run is not logical.
It's non sense, since the focus is on Chrysler 200.

I wonder if it is the D-RWD Dodge already, debuting the new platform before the Alfa?
IIRC, Allpar noticed the green light on D-RWD platform more than 2 years ago, and if it is indeed derived from CUSW it could be right on time.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Chrysler has the flex manufacturing ability to make two cars with completely different “top hats” on the same assembly line at Sterling Heights, but with very limited time, the Dodge will end up looking much like the Chrysler again.

The return of badge engineering.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Not nonsense at all. If the RWD Avenger isn't ready, then a stop-gap FWD Avenger with minimal changes from a 200 - while not adhering to the "no similar cars in the showroom" plan, makes perfect sense.

Not an optimal solution, to be sure. But it's better than leaving Dodge without any entry at all in the very popular - and profitable - mid-size market.

You know, to avoid how they are currently without a compact SUV since Liberty is already gone and Cherokee is delayed.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
For what its worth,

My source confirmed that the interior shot IS the 200 for sure. There has been no Avenger "labeled" vehicles that he has seen whatsoever on the 200 style platform.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Wouldn't building and certifying a two year only Avenger be cost prohibative or would Chrysler just lose less money rather than going without a Dodge mid-size for two years?

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Danno said:
For what its worth,

My source confirmed that the interior shot IS the 200 for sure. There has been no Avenger "labeled" vehicles that he has seen whatsoever on the 200 style platform.
And that only makes sense.

Heck, if they make a badge-engineered Avenger, then why are they messing with the minivans?!?!?!

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Here's an idea. Quick, relatively cheap refresh of the CURRENT Avenger. Anyone think about that?

What are the chances of that? As long as it fits on the carriers, the vehicle can go down the line...

·
Super Moderator
735 Posts
I've been saying this a couple of times, a few shots make the bumper stick out and the grill inset like they are going for a 2002 C-class look, you clearly see the bumper evenly wrap around.

the difference between a charger front clip and a 300

·
Registered
241 Posts
If badge engineering gives us a Charger vs 300 situation, I'm all for it. Besides, maybe the RWD Dodge d-class should be something that isn't called Avenger. Why shouldn't Dodge have a sportier/ less expensive d-class vs Chrysler having a more formal and upscale d-class?

One thing we know for sure, the media has no idea what's going on at Chrysler.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Slow news day, but I would at least have added a question mark to the title, especially considering it's on Allpar's main page.

The two cars are identical IMO.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
billfrombuckhead said:
If badge engineering gives us a Charger vs 300 situation, I'm all for it.
There is plenty of different between the Charger and 300. I don't call that badge engineering. Story saying it will look much like the Chrysler sounds very much like BE.
Many here have not been overjoyed that some models seem to be going away due to consolidated showrooms.
Now we hear that they may actually be planning a Dodge and Chrysler that really look close to each other.
Confused.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Aren't the pre-production 2015 200s partially built in the new section of SHAP making it possible to run the existing Avenger a couple more years with just a refresh, like the dart has its own line in body and paint at its assembly plant?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Loving this, I support the idea, however not as a FWD I hope the 200 it's the FWD while the Avenger at it's top level is a RWD... well who knows yet?

srt4evah said:
Stratus II?
Yeah!! Pretty much, I just hope that the turbos are back ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jackratchett said:
Aren't the pre-production 2015 200s partially built in the new section of SHAP making it possible to run the existing Avenger a couple more years with just a refresh, like the dart has its own line in body and paint at its assembly plant?
I am hearing the old body shop at SHAP will be updated and continue to frame the Avenger, and that they will continue to use and have two body shops to build multiple vehicles with SHAP becoming the overflow plant for several vehicles. The old body shop was going to become the pick and pack area for the plant but I am told that it will now be done in the old paint shop building. This is not official but came from a long time SHAP employee, he also mentioned KL being built at SHAP but would give no details.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts