Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The next-generation Chrysler 200 (still showing up as Chrysler Sebring on some internal documents) was to start production around October-November 2013. However, reliable source oh2o wrote that the expected date, reported on Allpar earlier today, is no longer the target. Instead, he wrote, the Avenger and 200 will continue essentially as they are into the 2014 model year; then, in the first half of 2014, the new 200 will be launched as a 2015 model. The next-generation Chrysler 200, body-code UF, will share its basic dimensions and architecture with the Alfa Romeo Giulia, and is based on the hard-point locations and architecture of the current Dodge Dart. The 200 is expected to have a larger interior, and a choice of the 2.4 liter TigerShark four-cylinder and Pentastar V6 in 3.2 and 3.6 liter form. A nine-speed automatic will be available, either standard or as an option; some believe a..

View the original, full post

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
The death of the Avenger is soon. It's more disappointing than I thought it would be. It's going to leave Dodge emptier.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I know we don't know what it will look like but Jack's rendering would drive me nuts. This 'coupe like" styling on 4 door sedans just creates huge blind spots.
I supplement my mirrors by turning my head. That beltline that rises as it goes back, the small rear side glass and the high butt would have me cussing every time I had to drive it around town or in a parking lot.
The 94 Vision we owned had back glass that sloped back but the beltline was low and the trunk deck wasn't as tall. So even though it was a large car it was fairly easy to see out of.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
No different than my 15-year-old Stratus - and that design itself is over 18 years old.

While we can guess about the blind spots, until you actually sit in the car, you don't know for sure. For as much glass as it has and it's design, my Caravan has huge blind spots.

·
Registered
278 Posts
So does this mean we will not see the 200 until the LA Auto Show , or will it be in New York show.

Does this mean that SHAP will be going flexible platform assemby line if they are gutting and putting in new new machinery?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I had the same thought! Will we see it in NY? LA would be a bit late since it is at the end of November...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I honestly wish they had stuck more to the 200C concept of several years ago. It had a classic look to it that would still be beautiful in the future. These swoopy 'coupe' style sedans are far less appealing, practical, and too trendy,(read common) to be classics in the future, IMO.
While many here have said that Jack Ratchetts rendering is quite close to the new vehicle, I find that disappointing. I guess we'll just have to wait for it in the real world and see.

·
Registered
695 Posts
JRS200x said:
Don't you worry.. It'll have blind spot monitoring! :p
Joking aside, I've often wondered if things like rear cameras, back up alarms and blind spot monitoring would start to have an influence on car design.

·
Registered
530 Posts
hmk123 said:
I had the same thought! Will we see it in NY? LA would be a bit late since it is at the end of November...
Production starts in October... It doesn't necessarily mean product will at the dealerships in November. It will probably come out in January as the first 2015 model.

·
Registered
278 Posts
SouthPawXJ said:
Production starts in October... It doesn't necessarily mean product will at the dealerships in November. It will probably come out in January as the first 2015 model.
Do you think that they can keep it under wraps that long if they start producing in October to the end of Nov before showing at LA?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mopar AL said:
Do you think that they can keep it under wraps that long if they start producing in October to the end of Nov before showing at LA?
They have been trying to debut new vehicles less than 90 days before the sale date. It hasn't always worked that way, but that is their target. It isn't unreasonable for them to start production in November, show the car in November, and sell it in January. Just my opinion from watching the last few launches.

EDIT - Also, it ain't official until it is official. These dates could be shifted back too.

·
Registered
864 Posts
reading this article is exactly how I ended up getting my 200 two weeks ago.......more car for a lot less then the dart cost. I really liked the dart, but getting a 200 for a few grand less and having more options and a bigger car offset what fuel savings I would have in the dart...so ...I got a 200. And I love this car so far.....good work SHAP

·
3,813 Posts
Joking aside, I've often wondered if things like rear cameras, back up alarms and blind spot monitoring would start to have an influence on car design.
Only if those type of features become standard at some point. Remember you still have to build cars WITHOUT those options which means you still need to, in some general fashion, take in to account that some vehicles do not have those features and still need to be drivable... safely.

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
The dates seem to be based on old information from last year... if JS were to end in May and UF started in October then no 2013MY JS, and UF would have to be 2014MY.

UF launch was originally scheduled for October, I believe it has now been moved to Q1-Q2 2014. Pretty sure it will be a 2015MY.

Last I checked there will be 2014MY JS, with launch in July and final builds rolling out January 2014.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
JRS200x said:
Don't you worry.. It'll have blind spot monitoring! :p
My wife and I were just talking about this yesterday. By making cars "safer" it is harder to see traffic and easier to have an accident. So you need the extra safety only because they made them safer..

Yet my daily driver for 23 years have been XJ Cherokee's. Short, narrow, no ABS, no traction control, no stability control, no blind spot sensors, no back up cameras. No flips or rolls and the only accident was getting rear ended at an intersection.

It is precisely because it has thin roof pillars, gobs of glass everywhere and little in the way of blind spots that has made it such a safe daily driver for 23 years.

If I can see it, it won't surprise me.

I know they can't build them like that anymore. I'm just saying I feel safer when I can see. And being able to see traffic makes me a better driver.

·
3,813 Posts
CherokeeVision said:
My wife and I were just talking about this yesterday. By making cars "safer" it is harder to see traffic and easier to have an accident. So you need the extra safety only because they made them safer..

Yet my daily driver for 23 years have been XJ Cherokee's. Short, narrow, no ABS, no traction control, no stability control, no blind spot sensors, no back up cameras. No flips or rolls and the only accident was getting rear ended at an intersection.

It is precisely because it has thin roof pillars, gobs of glass everywhere and little in the way of blind spots that has made it such a safe daily driver for 23 years.

If I can see it, it won't surprise me.

I know they can't build them like that anymore. I'm just saying I feel safer when I can see. And being able to see traffic makes me a better driver.
The danger isn't so much from driving on the roads it is from those driving on the road with you, hence your only accident being a rear end collision. It is also hard to argue with the fact that if, god forbid, you were to get into a serious accident, especially a roll over incident, you are statistically MUCH safer in the vehicles of today than you would be in your Cherokee.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts