Allpar Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
freshforged said:
one wonders how far along the 3.2 pentastar might be.
It better be pretty far along, the Cherokee is literally right around the corner.

Mike

·
Registered
697 Posts
Mike V. said:
If I had to guess, I'd say it is due to transmission availability.

I know the good people of Chrysler are working hard on this, but maybe Sergio needs to buy more directly from ZF to help navigate through these initial debuts.

There is a lot riding on this transmission. This is purely my guess.

Mike
It would be the only 9-speed for a passenger car on the market, no? That would be huge...

Either way, Ford and GM are hot on the trail as well, from Sept, 2012

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/29/us-autos-transmission-idUSBRE88R1JZ20120929

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
CherokeeVision said:
Since I was the first to say anything I want to explain.

I did not mean to give any negative impression of Jackrachett's skills. I greatly appreciate his time and talents. It gives us an idea of what to expect. I'm not faulting him when I find fault with the design and styling direction the automakers have taken. I merely voice my own opinions based on 34 years of driving. I feel I am a safer and better driver when I can see out of the vehicle I can driving.
No offense taken. All opinions good or bad are welcome, especially if they help to improve the rendering closer to the real thing. ;)
As far as delays go from what is heard, manpower cuts at pilot production do not help one bit and the build on a dime theory doesn't work. There is money in the safe but the time lock is set to Chrysler hitting the stock market. Will that be too late?

The 8 speed transmissions are already in short supply, next will be production halts because of it.

·
Premium Member
3,522 Posts
freshforged said:
true, I was thinking more in terms of their ability to ramp up production. If the new Cherokee lives up to its billing, 3.2 production might be constrained for a while.
3.2L seems to be on schedule, volume production getting starting in March, ramping up from there.

·
Registered
15,845 Posts
I believe (from memory) the priority list for the 9-speed are as follows:

Cherokee
Minivan
Dart

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Anybody knows if ZF's Greenville production line for the 9sp is up and running? IIRC they were scheduled to start production this year for 400k units/yr.
if they aren't ready and Kokomo isn't ready....

Another interesting point is that Honda/Acura is also rumored to have reached a deal for the 9hp with ZF, starting 2014. If we have any more delays, Chrysler might even get their thunder stolen from Honda/Acura.

·
Registered
15,845 Posts
RVC said:
Anybody knows if ZF's Greenville production line for the 9sp is up and running? IIRC they were scheduled to start production this year for 400k units/yr.

Another interesting point is that Honda/Acura is also rumored to have reached a deal for the 9hp with ZF, starting 2014. If we have any more delays, Chrysler might even get their thunder stolen from Honda/Acura.
Sergio is going to be in Kokomo in the next few days.

Unlike the 8-speed, I though Chrysler was not buying any 9-speeds from ZF, but licensing the design for in-house construction.

I believe there are some differences between the purchased 8-speeds and the Chrysler-made 8-speeds. The same holds true of the 9-speed.

All this is from memory, so I could be way off-base.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
RVC said:
Tipton....official announcement soon, very soon. ;)

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.