Allpar Forums banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts
G

·
I live in a small town in NW central Ohio. There are 5 or six new Durangos here. I'd buy one in a second but the front does not go with the back end. I know this costs money, but make the front over hang a bit longer, clean up the grille- headlight design, put in the 8sp diesel combo advertise the mileage and towing abilities and I think you will see sales increase dramatically.

·
The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"
2,644 Posts
MoparNorm: "The Wagoneer would have been nothing more than a Durango with a Jeep grill."

Do we know this for a fact? I'm not challenging you-- just wondering.

I had hoped that it would have its own original body (while still using the WK2 platform-- think Commander)-- taller, boxier, maybe even a longer wheelbase to allow for true 3-row seating. This could justify the production of both it and the Durango.

I also think that the Durango should be a Chrysler, but I understand the decision to attempt to leverage the Durango name.

·
Registered
530 Posts
There's a few of the newer Durangos out on the roads here in Dayton. I probably see one a day during the week, especially in the winter. I really like the look of them, but I can't afford one new. They seem very nice though. I really wish the would advertise them more.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
38,052 Posts
Chrysler is not a luxury brand. I don't know that it ever has been.

Chrysler never competed successfully against Cadillac and Lincoln, even when they had unquestionably better cars.

Because Chrysler has never been a luxury brand.

Chrysler has made cars that are as good as luxury cars, which I think is what Saad Chebad was saying. They have made cars that deliver as much but without the "cachet." The 300 letter cars and Imperial come to mind, along with the 300C. But it's always been a "luxurious but not luxury" brand... like Buick and Mercury.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,247 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Killing off a vehicle (Grand Wagoneer) that few had asked for and even fewer would buy, isn't a bad thing.
Using that energy and capital to create something that Jeepers have been asking for and they resist building, would be better.
A true XJ replacement and an MJ Jeep pickup come to mind.
++1

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,407 Posts
I Hope It's as Detailed as Last Time!

TMD

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Danno said:
I dont think that particular lesson has sunk in with upper management yet.

The disconnect is this. SM thinks that every brand in the Fiat empire can cover any other brand ( With some exceptions like Ferarri etc ), so that if he drops a Dodge, a Fiat can take up that slack. He also thinks that dropping a Chrysler and adding a Dodge will result in a net loss of near zero.

What reality is, is that a considerable amount of the buying populous is very attached to their "brand". Branding is all that we have been exposed to in the past 40 years really. So in the customer AND the consumers mind, Dodge =/= Chrysler =/= Fiat =/= Lancia.

I know you know this Strat, just saying it AGAIN in the hopes that someone in the right place DOES read it and maybe a different phrasing of the topic will change some minds. We can always hope :)
The stellar rise of Hyundai/KIA would seem to contradict that theory.
What the Koreans have thought us is that if your vehicles:
- look good
- are packed with all the gizmos people crave
- offer warranties above and beyond expectations
- are priced RIGHT

You can build your brand into whatever you want, from crap to stellar, in exactly one generation, or roughly 8 years. And all that without having particularly great build quality, mind you.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
RVC said:
The stellar rise of Hyundai/KIA would seem to contradict that theory.
What the Koreans have thought us is that if your vehicles:
- look good
- are packed with all the gizmos people crave
- offer warranties above and beyond expectations
- are priced RIGHT

You can build your brand into whatever you want, from crap to stellar, in exactly one generation, or roughly 8 years. As all that without having particularly great build quality, mind you.
The thing about Hyundai / Kia, is despite the bad wrap, they were also a relative unknown to many. Chrysler has obviously been in the US for far longer, selling more. There have been more people to have experiences, unfortunately, bad experiences with Chrysler, and many outlets did a good job propagating it. Chrysler as a whole has a lot more history, they also have a lot more baggage to shed than Hyundai. That said, they also have a stronger base than Hyundai ever did starting off. I'd wager they have, and will have a much harder time bringing brand new customers into the fold, but have a much larger group of loyal buyers or at least familiar buyers they can rely off of.

(This by the way is why I feel strongly that they should focus on loyal buyers first because they are far easier to hold on to, than many new buyers will be to get.)

·
Registered
779 Posts
suzq044 said:
Unfortunate about the Wagoneer; I was hoping to see what they'd come up with. lol
I think the Wagoneer is just fine. Remember they sent the Kubang that was supposed to be built at JNAP to Italy to make room for it.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
bumonbox said:
The thing about Hyundai / Kia, is despite the bad wrap, they were also a relative unknown to many. Chrysler has obviously been in the US for far longer, selling more. There have been more people to have experiences, unfortunately, bad experiences with Chrysler, and many outlets did a good job propagating it. Chrysler as a whole has a lot more history, they also have a lot more baggage to shed than Hyundai. That said, they also have a stronger base than Hyundai ever did starting off. I'd wager they have, and will have a much harder time bringing brand new customers into the fold, but have a much larger group of loyal buyers or at least familiar buyers they can rely off of.

(This by the way is why I feel strongly that they should focus on loyal buyers first because they are far easier to hold on to, than many new buyers will be to get.)
Agreed, you make nothing but solid points.
One thing though: unless the growth in sales we've seen in the last 2.5 years has been sponsored uniquely by loyal buyers, I'd say that a good chunk of th reason why Chrysler sells more today than it did before is on account of improved style, improved overall quality (interiors, drive trains, fit and finish), more gizmos (almost to the point of overkill), and competitive pricing (the Dart being the exception).

Incidentally, brand image/perception has been improving among the general public during the same period.

1969 300 said:
I think the Wagoneer is just fine. Remember they sent the Kubang that was supposed to be built at JNAP to Italy to make room for it.
I have a feeling that's just half of the story. Somehow I have a feeling they will build it at both locations...

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I hope they tell us about the engine plans, and what in the store of HEMI beside Hellcat. Maybe a confirmation of the power bump or the next generation HEMI.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,095 Posts
If they did build the wagoneer, it'd be to compete against the big range-rover. Tiny market, but it exists on both sides of the pond. Lol

·
Registered
427 Posts
suzq044 said:
If they did build the wagoneer, it'd be to compete against the big range-rover. Tiny market, but it exists on both sides of the pond. Lol
I agree with Suz, if they built it right and marketed it to the moneyed world peoples, it could sell well on all continents, maybe more so than in the US.

·
Registered
149 Posts
They need to get the SRT guys to make a version of the Durango or Grand Wagoneer, to give some of us guys with families a chance to have our family-hauling cake and be able to eat...errr...drive it too! All I want is an SRT8 JGC with 1 more row of seating...come on SRT, help a brother out.

Plus I think it's a niche area ripe for the picking. I mean look how popular the 3 row CUV segment has become with the death of traditional body-on-frame SUV's and the 'soccer-mom' stigma of minivans. There's really no one playing in the high performance 3 row CUV segment. The X5 M and Cayenne GTS, the JGC SRT8's main competition, are both only 2 row vehicles. And the Q7 is much more expensive. I think it's a perfect niche market for the SRT guys to capitalize on, which is exactly where they succeed the most... In niche markets.

·
Registered
824 Posts
A few things:
On Grand Wagoneer, I was implying that it wasn't in the 2009 plan, but likely would be in the reboot out Wednesday. Sorry for the confusion.

Regarding Durango, Marchionne said that he couldn't kill Durango and run all Grand Cherokees even if he wanted to, because the suppliers on GC couldn't keep up. He has to run one shift of Durangos because of the supply base.
As for those that said Durango needed some tweaks,.... well :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: ....

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
The biggest mistake for the Durango was to name it Durango,it had never agood and positivr reputation,and after they drop it for 2010 they destroyed it,then they came with smart idea of not buiding enough Durangos to meet the demand,so dealers stopped ordering it and then came Durangos coma.
Chryslers marketing...not very smart people working there.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,095 Posts
I like the Durango. It looks like what it would've evolved into if Daimler weren't involved in the over-bloat last gen one.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts