Allpar Forums banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2,709 Posts
I was trying to figure out why they just went through all that trouble to lay us off and retool the plant just to cancel the WS (Grand Wagoneer).

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
70MoparMan said:
Interesting read.. Implies Grand Wagoneer will still be part of product mix. More interestingly, it indicates the EPA ratings for Grand Cherokee diesel is 21 city & 30 hwy

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/14/us-autoshow-chrysler-jeep-idUSBRE90D06T20130114
We knew the EPA for the GC diesel when it was unveiled.

Mr.Source said:
The biggest mistake for the Durango was to name it Durango,it had never agood and positivr reputation,and after they drop it for 2010 they destroyed it,then they came with smart idea of not buiding enough Durangos to meet the demand,so dealers stopped ordering it and then came Durangos coma.
Chryslers marketing...not very smart people working there.
You mean the 2nd generation Durango? The Diamler one. The 1st gen Durango sold well and was generally well regarded.

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
Moparian said:
You mean the 2nd generation Durango? The Diamler one. The 1st gen Durango sold well and was generally well regarded.
Agreed. The 1st gen Durango was very popular around here, and it was at the same time as my favorite Dakota

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
bethlumboy said:
MoparNorm: "The Wagoneer would have been nothing more than a Durango with a Jeep grill."
Do we know this for a fact? I'm not challenging you-- just wondering.
I had hoped that it would have its own original body (while still using the WK2 platform-- think Commander)-- taller, boxier, maybe even a longer wheelbase to allow for true 3-row seating. This could justify the production of both it and the Durango.
I also think that the Durango should be a Chrysler, but I understand the decision to attempt to leverage the Durango name.
Durango right now, is little more than (IMO) a longer Grand Cherokee, with some styling differences. With both cost and time constraints, I didn't envision Wagoneer being anything more than a Durango sized Grand Cherokee.
It might start out on paper as exciting as one of Suzq renderings, but by the time reality, existing parts and bean counters get into the room, it's either DOA, or as bland as toast.
Frankly, since the original Grand Wagoneer LTD was primarily a Long Island, West LA, Palm Springs status symbol and precursor to the Range Rover, the current Grand Cherokee already fills that luxury, non-offroad niche.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
marlon_jbt said:
I was trying to figure out why they just went through all that trouble to lay us off and retool the plant just to cancel the WS (Grand Wagoneer).
New and refreshed WK's are coming, regardless of the name. ;)

·
Registered
15,279 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
First people complain that the names aren't kept around long enough, then that they are re-used...
I was thinking the exact same thing, Dave.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2,709 Posts
MoparNorm said:
New and refreshed WK's are coming, regardless of the name. ;)
Coming? They're already here, but if that was simply the case, we wouldn't have needed the extensive changes. My job in the plant is 66% different than it was before because of the retooling and stuff being moved around. Some people came back and didn't even have jobs at all. They had to be relocated.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
marlon_jbt said:
Coming? They're already here,
Ha! Ha!
Already here for you, but most folks won't see them for a while. ;)

61 - 71 of 71 Posts