Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Automated System
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As planned and predicted, the 2015 Chrysler 200 will be launched in early 2014, at the same Sterling Heights plant where the current model is built. The new car will be completely different in body and suspension than the current model, based on the Dart and Cherokee’s architecture and platform. The 2014 Chrysler 200 and Dodge Avenger will stop production in December 2013 to allow for the changeover, which is expected to include substantial equipment upgrades. The plant is currently shut down for five weeks, during which time the assembly line will be linked with new a new 425,000 square foot paint shops and a new, 1-million square foot body shop. The “new Chrysler” did not believe it would need Sterling Heights, but Sergio Marchionne quickly changed his mind and the new company purchased it from the bankrupt remains of the “old Chrysler.” Part of the basis for the..

View the original, full post
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,224 Posts
I am not sure that Dart and Cherokee can be built on the same line. Dart is CUSW and Cherokee is CUSW+
 

·
Vaguely badass...
Joined
·
43,887 Posts
All depends on what the "+" entails, and if the parts and pieces fit within the same production requirements.

None of us thought Journey and PT could ride on the same line either...but they did.
 

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
Joined
·
26,427 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
All depends on what the "+" entails, and if the parts and pieces fit within the same production requirements.

None of us thought Journey and PT could ride on the same line either...but they did.
Journey and 500 too.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,421 Posts
Very cool, I just want to see what the car will look like, then want to know if they plan on a convertible model. As in five years or so I want to trade in my 200 for another convertible.
 

·
Enjoying the ride.
Joined
·
2,164 Posts
My lease will be up in two years, so either the new Dodge or the new Chrysler 200 might be in my future. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,688 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
All depends on what the "+" entails, and if the parts and pieces fit within the same production requirements.

None of us thought Journey and PT could ride on the same line either...but they did.
It's the model targeted specifically for " + sized women" . + sized men are just called 'Big & Tall' . { Salesmen steer them to the commercial truck division }
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
All depends on what the "+" entails, and if the parts and pieces fit within the same production requirements.

None of us thought Journey and PT could ride on the same line either...but they did.
I just see the "+" as a different "Architecture" of the "CUSW" Platform. Just like "L" is the Platform for the LX's and the "C" is the Architecture of the Challenger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
993 Posts
Jaime said:
Very cool, I just want to see what the car will look like, then want to know if they plan on a convertible model. As in five years or so I want to trade in my 200 for another convertible.
Why has Chrysler selected the 200 as the first vehicle to potentially usher in its new design language??
 

·
Vaguely badass...
Joined
·
43,887 Posts
Because it is the next in line to get a redesign, it's the highest selling model in the Chrysler brand lineup, and it's in the largest segment of auto sales - that would be my guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
IMPERIAL4EVER said:
Why has Chrysler selected the 200 as the first vehicle to potentially usher in its new design language??
What Strat said, plus -

why wouldn't they?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
993 Posts
abgwin said:
What Strat said, plus -

why wouldn't they?
I feel that the 200 is a low rent model in the line-up and such a dramatic change in design for Chrysler if it is what they are saying should be reserved to be debuted on a more premium model such as the 300. It doesn't make sense to me that the 300 would build off of the 200's new design language but again that is just me. Kinda like the horse following the cart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
IMPERIAL4EVER said:
I feel that the 200 is a low rent model in the line-up and such a dramatic change in design for Chrysler if it is what they are saying should be reserved to be debuted on a more premium model such as the 300. It doesn't make sense to me that the 300 would build off of the 200's new design language but again that is just me. Kinda like the horse following the cart.
I agree that in an ideal world, you'd start with the 300 over the 200 for introducing a new design language. However, I believe that the product cadence makes the world less than ideal. The 200 needs replacing now, and it's been out long enough that it now needs a completely new platform and architecture. The 300 has one more refresh to go before it is ready for a new platform and architecture--I think the next major new redesign isn't due to 2017 or something. If you launched the 200 with the old design language now (even on a new platform), it would probably have to go one refresh before it could be easily convertible to the new design language, which would be what, 8 years from now (2022)? And you still wouldn't be using the new language with the 300 until 2017, under that scenario.

So, given the cadence, it makes more sense to go forward with the 200 first. Especially since the design language really needs to change, if the 200 is going to be accepted as a Flavia in Europe--I think a number of people on Allpar have said that the current Chrysler design language is all "wrong" for Europe (not that I have any knowledge of that). There really needs to be one successful language worldwide (easier said than done!).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Isn't the Town & Country (whatever it may be) also all new for 2015? Then 2 of Chrysler's 3 models will be all new for the new styling introduction.

I also really hope all goes well for the future of the 200 and Avenger. They're both in need of a redesign, yet they're two good selling vehicles for the company. Whatever they do with both models, I hope they play it safe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,389 Posts
I am really looking forward to the Avenger being North South, Rear drive....

Since my Charger I really am having a hard time with Front drive, just doesn't feel right even to the point that I am considering trading my wifes Journey on Durango.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
993 Posts
eastcoaster said:
I agree that in an ideal world, you'd start with the 300 over the 200 for introducing a new design language. However, I believe that the product cadence makes the world less than ideal. The 200 needs replacing now, and it's been out long enough that it now needs a completely new platform and architecture. The 300 has one more refresh to go before it is ready for a new platform and architecture--I think the next major new redesign isn't due to 2017 or something. If you launched the 200 with the old design language now (even on a new platform), it would probably have to go one refresh before it could be easily convertible to the new design language, which would be what, 8 years from now (2022)? And you still wouldn't be using the new language with the 300 until 2017, under that scenario.

So, given the cadence, it makes more sense to go forward with the 200 first. Especially since the design language really needs to change, if the 200 is going to be accepted as a Flavia in Europe--I think a number of people on Allpar have said that the current Chrysler design language is all "wrong" for Europe (not that I have any knowledge of that). There really needs to be one successful language worldwide (easier said than done!).
Thank you for the explination
TripleT said:
I am really looking forward to the Avenger being North South, Rear drive....

Since my Charger I really am having a hard time with Front drive, just doesn't feel right even to the point that I am considering trading my wifes Journey on Durango.
Agreed.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top