Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live feed keeps dying...so snippets as they happen...

6.4 Hemi in Ram HD

Coil-link suspension also coming to HD
Eco Diesel 3l should pay for itself in 3 years
Diesel is $2800 over gas engine

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Coils for the rear suspension on the HD's? Is that a first for the HD market?

edit: From the other thread I see the coils are indeed going on the rear suspension.

·
Registered
647 Posts
GM light trucks tried coil suspension back in the 60's and changed back to leaf springs in a hurry. Hopefully this multi-link coil suspension will be much better than that.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
I have found the coils springs in my Ram to be much improved over the leaf springs in past Chevys and Fords I've driven, especially noticable when fully loaded. The truck seems much more stable and doesn't wallow in the corners when loaded to max pay load.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Cant wait to see the new power wagon with the 6.4L and coils out back.

·
2,570 Posts

I want to know more about this.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
drew54 said:

I want to know more about this.
It's a darn shame that management thinks Jeep suspensions are too antiquated for their CUV Jeeps, but somehow they are the state of art for Dodge Rams...

·
Registered
531 Posts
MoparNorm said:
It's a darn shame that management thinks Jeep suspensions are too antiquated for their CUV Jeeps, but somehow they are the state of art for Dodge Rams...
It probably has a lot to do with the target buyer for each type of vehicle, unfortunately. People who buy a Dodge Ram HD are most likely expecting a "truck-like" ride, and therefore management probably thinks they can use the "truck-like" suspension. CUV Jeep(R) buyers want a Jeep(R) that doesn't ride like a Jeep.

Offered just as a possible reason as to why. If you know me, you know how I feel about that reasoning. (I'm well aware of the opinions of Boberg, Sheaves, and Layton, as well as the ZJ and WJ reviews.)

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
SouthPawXJ said:
It probably has a lot to do with the target buyer for each type of vehicle, unfortunately. People who buy a Dodge Ram HD are most likely expecting a "truck-like" ride, and therefore management probably thinks they can use the "truck-like" suspension. CUV Jeep(R) buyers want a Jeep(R) that doesn't ride like a Jeep.

Offered just as a possible reason as to why. If you know me, you know how I feel about that reasoning. (I'm well aware of the opinions of Boberg, Sheaves, and Layton, as well as the ZJ and WJ reviews.)
;)

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
willy said:
GM light trucks tried coil suspension back in the 60's and changed back to leaf springs in a hurry. Hopefully this multi-link coil suspension will be much better than that.
As discussed previously, this suspension is light years ahead of the nearly 50 year old GM setup. Bringing them up in conversation together is like comparing a Model T vs a 65 Mustang.

The coil link was proven in Jeep and by the half ton Ram since 2009. I doubt there will be any issues.

Mike

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Baby steps...I'm sure Chrysler and AAM are hard at work on an 11.5" IRS setup ;)

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
have a question why have they not tried a torsion bar suspension on the rear end instead of this complex system. I have had cars with it and to me they where far better as to handling and ride compared to coil spring ones. :readbook: :stirthepot:

·
Registered
754 Posts
This system is not like Chevies ( chevies was a trailing link system) this is a 5 link, if I'm not mistaken.
Very similar to a race car set up. Race cars have adjustments on several areas not available on this system.
It will still allow some articulation, but very little side to side movement.
If I recall, it also places more pressure to the ground under acceleration. but without the added friction to major changes in the pinion angle.
Anybody correct me if I missed anything....

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
burt said:
This system is not like Chevies ( chevies was a trailing link system) this is a 5 link, if I'm not mistaken.
Very similar to a race car set up. Race cars have adjustments on several areas not available on this system.
It will still allow some articulation, but very little side to side movement.
If I recall, it also places more pressure to the ground under acceleration. but without the added friction to major changes in the pinion angle.
Anybody correct me if I missed anything....
It's the same suspension type as found on TJ, JK and ZJ, WJ. It allows maximum articulation, when combined with sway bar disconnects.
The side to side movement is controlled by the track bar, which is the 5th link and is minimal, but does allow "rear axle steer" if the articulation allowed by the absence of a sway bar is extreme.
In the stock truck application, that won't be a problem.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
As I said it seems like alot of things to wear out when the truck gets older and I never had a problem with torsion bars, I go by the kiss principal ( keep it simple stupid )

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Torsion-bars are just a spring technology. They are not a "suspension". Typically you only see torsion-bars on independent suspensions. Besides, I've seen plenty of GM, Fords and various other makes with torsion-bar springs that have worn out or even just snapped.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
AutoTechnician said:
Torsion-bars are just a spring technology. They are not a "suspension". Typically you only see torsion-bars on independent suspensions. Besides, I've seen plenty of GM, Fords and various other makes with torsion-bar springs that have worn out or even just snapped.
Yep, GMC and Chevy use them on their IFS trucks...and shops make a good profit, swapping them out.
Torsion springs have their place and their drawbacks, just like any other spring.
The coil-link is a good setup and coils can handle weight as well as any system, finding their way into semi-truck usage and they are also found on rail cars and the front of the Dodge Ram HD trucks. So Im not sure why the need or want for a replacement of the just new coil-link setup.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
Dr. Z said:
Someone asked about torsion bars. The answers are "torsion bars snap" (not that often admittedly) and they do not allow as much tuning and adjustment. "What burt said."
Yep, I've never had to replace a coil spring but I have replaced worn out rear leaf springs and have replaced 3 (yes 3) snapped torsion bars. Every one of them snapped while the car was sitting.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts