Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Following criticism of the styling of the 2014 Jeep Cherokee, Automotive News spotted a new KL Cherokee mule on the streets of Los Angeles. While Larry Vellequette’s article in Automotive News noted that this did not necessarily indicate the testing of a new front fascia, Allpar readers were far less restrained in dismissing the idea. In our original article, we noted that the changes required to move the headlights up would be expensive, involving changes to lighting, wiring, durability, cooling, aerodynamics, and crash behavior, and that time was short before the Cherokee’s volume launch. While the mule is closer to the critically acclaimed “teardrop” headlights of the PT Cruiser than to the triple-row lighting used by the much-maligned Pontiac Aztek, several readers pointed out that it is not unusual for old mules to still be used after the body is finalized — and that the photo captured last week is similar to spy shots of..

View the original, full post

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Hate to say I told ya so ;)

Mike

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yes! THIS is the exact mule I spotted about..ohh.. about a month ago in Palos Verdes!
The onyl diff was (that I can see from this fron nose shot) was there was or appeared to be some type of logo just above the gril... though through masking, I could be wrong.

tricky thing is.. what I saw was largr than this vehicle appears to be.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Did anyone really think that there was? There is no way it changes before Launch. Thought it was just fun chatter

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
So...no one is willing to see it in person and give it a chance?

That's disappointing, too.
Oh I can't wait to see it in person honestly.

Mike

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,996 Posts
I want to see it's capability as well. I'm not ready to call it a POS. o_O

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Actually, since I saw a side picture finally, from a normal adult human height, it's not as bad in appearance as I initially found it to be. It also looks like the front end has more clearance than the 3/4 high shot implied. I still don't know that it'll be a good successor or not, that'll be determined by what we see of it offroad, and I still find some of the design aspects to be more quirky than necessary. But, while it's not as attractive in a utilitiarian sense as I would have hoped for, it's not as awful as I first felt about it either.

Chrysler really needs to do some test marketing of their images. The blue one doesn't look anything like that white one from the different angle.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Mike V. said:
Oh I can't wait to see it in person honestly.

Mike
I am as well. I think it has been stated here that Chrysler PR photography does not do justice to the vehicles.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
So...no one is willing to see it in person and give it a chance?

That's disappointing, too.
Strat:

I have learned over the years that a picture of a new vehicle is very different than seeing it in person. I am taking my son to the NYIAS as he has a baby on the way and the Cherokee is a perfect fit for his new lifestyle.

Ed

·
Registered
74 Posts
I love it, it look different than all others, and it will have the best powertrain. I just hope ther will be a 2 speed transfer case.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Technically, no - it won't have a "transfer case."
At least not in the traditional sense.

Mike

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Mike V. said:
At least not in the traditional sense.
Mike
And perhaps not in any sense, due to then probability of no neutral position and no low range in the non trail rated version.
Technically called a PTO, there appears to be two versions.
There is no economical way to incorporate a traditional transfer case in a FWD system that is transverse mounted.

·
Registered
74 Posts
WEll I do not know much about mechanic, but the Patriot is a front wheel drive, and I believe it has a low range mode even with the CVT. I d'ont know if that option will be offered with the new conventional 6 speed this year either? My Son is looking foward to buy this new Cherokee so I am trying to get as much info as I can. Also, has there been mentionned of the economy rating, like 35 MPG highway ect yet?? Just one last question for Norm, when you said transverse mounted is this mean that the 3.2 will be monted 90 degree side ways from the 3.6 in my Grand Cherokee????

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
clody said:
WEll I do not know much about mechanic, but the Patriot is a front wheel drive, and I believe it has a low range mode even with the CVT. I d'ont know if that option will be offered with the new conventional 6 speed this year either? My Son is looking foward to buy this new Cherokee so I am trying to get as much info as I can. Also, has there been mentionned of the economy rating, like 35 MPG highway ect yet?? Just one last question for Norm, when you said transverse mounted is this mean that the 3.2 will be monted 90 degree side ways from the 3.6 in my Grand Cherokee????
Yes, it's sideways as are most FWD engines. The Grand is RWD/AWD.
The mpg will be less than 30 mpg in AWD. The official rating has not yet been announced.
I'm not sure if the Patriot will have a lower range gear with the 6 speed automatic. It should still have a lock mode.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts