Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The next generation Jeep-branded mid-sized SUV will most likely be released at the New York Auto Show in April, according to production timing released by Sergio Marchionne this week. The Chrysler-Fiat CEO set a policy of only unveiling cars within 90 days of production, and given the possibility for delays (given the combined renovation of the factory and production of a new vehicle using a completely new transmission and a new engine), New York seems more likely than the much earlier Chicago show. The name of the vehicle has yet to be released; Marchionne referred to it alternately as the “D-SUV” and the “Liberty replacement” in recent talks. Allpar predicted months ago that it would use a 3.2 liter high-efficiency version of the Pentastar V6, which is projected to be rated at 240-260 horsepower with substantially higher gas mileage than the 3.6 in similar applications. A VM diesel is..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
The form of the car is, we have been told, similar to what is pictured in JackRatchett’s and Suzq044’s images here — a complete departure from the “Cherokee styling” used by Jeep wagons since 1984.
A complete departure from common sense, usable, cargo capacity. Basically removing Utility from SUV.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Looks just like every other manufacturer's cuv but with a jeep grill. Boring! Remember when Chrysler came out with unique products like Durango, 300's, Magnums, the original minivans, original Liberty's, Pt Cruiser, Ram pickups etc.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
.. it's a photoshop that may or may not be accurate

they need my updated version on there. Doorhandles 'n such.
Open in new tab for higher resolution.

Although I may modify it further based on the new Grand headlight direction xD

·
Registered
718 Posts
I know it is Suzq and I think you do a great job! I think your rendition is probably pretty close. I just wish Chrysler could be a little more imaginitive like years past. I was driving tonight and a Mazda cuv past me followed by a Nissan cuv and a minute later a Ford Escape went by. I was just thinking man you can hardly tell the difference between the three of them. Looking at the spy pics of the new Liberty I think it will just be another cuv that looks like all the other ones.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
Here ya go!

You're welcome to update the main picture if you want guys!

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
"A VM diesel is almost certain for export markets, though it is reportedly not part of initial production." - Allpar

Cherokee export diesel will be the current 2.0L I4.

suzq044 said:
Although I may modify it further based on the new Grand headlight direction xD
The Cherokee, as probably expected, will get a lot of the features that are in the '14 Grand, headlamps with LED DRL's, 7" TFT, 8.4" radios, UConnect updates etc.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
suzq044 said:
Here ya go!

You're welcome to update the page if you want guys!
Nice update!

oh2o said:
"A VM diesel is almost certain for export markets, though it is reportedly not part of initial production." - Allpar

The Cherokee, as probably expected, will get a lot of the features that are in the '14 Grand, headlamps with LED DRL's, 7" TFT, 8.4" radios, UConnect updates etc.
I'm thinking that most/all new vehicles will be getting all the new "toys" going forwards?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
dfarc said:
I guess it truly is a CUV...Compact Utility Vehicle then.
Except that the C stands for Crossover.

But New York is probably a good place to show this vehicle. There are these Pace Picante Sauce commercials where they make digs at other brands for not being authentic. "That stuff's made in New York City."
Perfect place for showing something that isn't an authentic Jeep.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
erhemi said:
Looks just like every other manufacturer's cuv but with a jeep grill. Boring! Remember when Chrysler came out with unique products like Durango, 300's, Magnums, the original minivans, original Liberty's, Pt Cruiser, Ram pickups etc.
Amen !
Just park it out in the mall next to all the others and see if you can pick it out.
Bet you can't.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
MudTJ said:
Whats the estimated MPG out of this thing?
Likely a tad less that Dart. A more powerful engine with a 9 speed transmission, it should be competitive in 2WD. There is bound to be some efficiency loss in the PTO/drivetrain system for AWD.

·
Registered
494 Posts
oh2o said:

I'm now confused. Do you mean the 2.8 VM diesel we get in Australia?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
" I'm now confused. Do you mean the 2.8 VM diesel we get in Australia"
No he means the 2 liter that Chrysler/ Fiat uses in the C sized cars.

·
Registered
494 Posts
MoparNorm said:
" I'm now confused. Do you mean the 2.8 VM diesel we get in Australia"
No he means the 2 liter that Chrysler/ Fiat uses in the C sized cars.
Oh! OK, thank's Norm. i thought that would find it's way in the next Compass not Cherokee. Although i think the latest power rating is good. I don't know how good torque is though.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
unverferth said:
Amen !
Just park it out in the mall next to all the others and see if you can pick it out.
Bet you can't.
The problem is, when fuel efficiency becomes a top prority, there are only a few shapes that work aerodynamically. The "Cam Back" shape is one of them and that is why it is featured. You also have safety regs that have to be met that also influence the overall shape. So unfortunately they all start looking the same. Pretty soon they will drive themselves.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hemi 265 said:
Oh! OK, thank's Norm. i thought that would find it's way in the next Compass not Cherokee. Although i think the latest power rating is good. I don't know how good torque is though.
In Euro specs, the current iteration of Fiat's 2.0 litre JTD diesel is:

Power: 125 kW (170 HP) at 4000 rpm (though a 180HP and a 200HP versions are imminent)
Torque: 350 NM at 1750 rpm (I believe that translates at 258,14 lb-ft)

I suspect US specs, when a federalised version will be made available, won't differ much.

As far as I know, the FPT 2.0 ltr diesels are planned for NA use and will be the ones to follow the 3.0 VM V6. I don't think the VM 2.8 l4 will ever be federalised.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts