Allpar Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
MoparNorm said:
The main difference is the 9 speed to V6 bell housing.
There are packaging differences that have nothing to do with front overhang, it's the height of the hood.
Both cars have similar snout overhang, but the Dart hood is lower and it doesn't have the 9 speed.
Giving the Dart a 9 speed and custom hood, still wouldn't allow for the V6 because the crush zone wouldn't pass muster.
So put a bigger hood on it (like the Neon SRT4 had).

I'm certain this is doable, to have a 3.0 V6 in the Dart. We've already touched on this discussion this week. And I know, I know, "the crash ratings, and the testing, and blah blah blah"....if it's possible to get a 5-star crash rating out of a Smart car, they can get one out of V6 Dart. This has nothing to do with safety, it's marketing (or lack thereof). Sergio STILL doesn't understand the North American market. If they were to release a V6 GT Dart, it would put this car into a whole new position. No need for an SRT, you now have a low-cost car with high performance for its weight.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Darkpaw said:
So put a bigger hood on it (like the Neon SRT4 had).

I'm certain this is doable, to have a 3.0 V6 in the Dart. We've already touched on this discussion this week. And I know, I know, "the crash ratings, and the testing, and blah blah blah"....if it's possible to get a 5-star crash rating out of a Smart car, they can get one out of V6 Dart. This has nothing to do with safety, it's marketing (or lack thereof). Sergio STILL doesn't understand the North American market. If they were to release a V6 GT Dart, it would put this car into a whole new position. No need for an SRT, you now have a low-cost car with high performance for its weight.
I wasn't making a case for or against, just commenting upon why. Raising the hood and extending the front end would likely require extensive redesign, enough to make the car not appear like a Dart.
However the main reason they aren't going to consider the V6 is the entire purpose of the Dart is to bring up the companies CAFE numbers.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts