Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Automated System
Joined
·
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ram has been named the “Most Ideal Popular Brand” in AutoPacific’s 2013 awards, based on owners’ ratings of their 2013 cars and trucks, according to Ram. Two other Chrysler Group vehicles, the 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2013 Chrysler Town & Country, were given awards ( “Most Ideal Mid-size SUV” and “Most Ideal Minivan”).  This makes the third year in a row Jeep Grand Cherokee has been named “Most Ideal Mid-size SUV.” The Ideal Vehicle Awards are based on 52,000 responses to AutoPacific's New Vehicle Satisfaction Survey. AutoPacific asked owners to indicate a desire to change their vehicle in 15 different categories, ranging from power and acceleration to safety features and storage, after having owned and driven their vehicle for 90 days.  The least number of desired changes brings a car or truck closest to the “ideal.” AutoPacific has not yet released details on the awards. In 2012, three..

View the original, full post
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,569 Posts
Seems like the Jeep ad campaign applies here; The things we make, make us. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
You know, I like the way the Ram looks, I like the way it drives, and I like most things about it. However, two things keep me from buying one. The first problem is like most trucks these days, the price is just unrealistic. Get a few options and it's $40k. Get leather and it's $48k. Think about that. If you got a 0% loan and wanted to pay it off in 5 years that's $844/mo (including sales tax where I live). That's insane. A large down payment doesn't help much.

Aside from the price, one thing I absolutely do not like about Ford and Dodge/Ram pickups is the bed and ride height. They just keep making the trucks higher and higher so it's tough to get in and out of and makes using the bed very difficult. I don't even want to hear about air ride suspension stuff because it doesn't need to be that complicated or expensive. I'm a Mopar guy and have been one for a long time, but the bed height issue is why I drive a GMC Sierra. I can reach over the side of the box and get anything I need, it's easy to get in the box if I need to, and my wife can get in the truck just fine....and its 4WD. There's no reason pickups need to sit up so high. In fact its counter productive for a lot of reasons including fuel mileage. Trucks back in the day had a tailgate that was waist high or lower. Perfect for loading and unloading.

Anyway, I'm happy that Chrysler is getting nice kudos these days but I wish they would realize most people don't need monster truck ride height.
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,138 Posts
Not only that, try adding a lumber rack and then loading that rack... you need two seven footers to use the rack.
I think part of it is by preventing side loading, the sides stay undamaged. But that's a solution thought up by designers who don't work for a living.
 
  • Like
Reactions: moparmuscle

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Not only that, try adding a lumber rack and then loading that rack... you need two seven footers to use the rack.
I think part of it is by preventing side loading, the sides stay undamaged. But that's a solution thought up by designers who don't work for a living.
One of the reasons I was always impressed by the Jeep trucks (J10, J20 etc.) was their ability to combine low load and step-in heights with good ground clearance and capability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
dak4x4 said:
Some folks think more of their trucks than to use them as rolling trash cans.
Ok..I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that a high ride and lift over means the truck isn't a trash can? Guess I'm not understanding your point.
 

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
Joined
·
26,427 Posts
mopar.muscle said:
You know, I like the way the Ram looks, I like the way it drives, and I like most things about it. However, two things keep me from buying one. The first problem is like most trucks these days, the price is just unrealistic. Get a few options and it's $40k. Get leather and it's $48k. Think about that. If you got a 0% loan and wanted to pay it off in 5 years that's $844/mo (including sales tax where I live). That's insane. A large down payment doesn't help much.

Aside from the price, one thing I absolutely do not like about Ford and Dodge/Ram pickups is the bed and ride height. They just keep making the trucks higher and higher so it's tough to get in and out of and makes using the bed very difficult. I don't even want to hear about air ride suspension stuff because it doesn't need to be that complicated or expensive. I'm a Mopar guy and have been one for a long time, but the bed height issue is why I drive a GMC Sierra. I can reach over the side of the box and get anything I need, it's easy to get in the box if I need to, and my wife can get in the truck just fine....and its 4WD. There's no reason pickups need to sit up so high. In fact its counter productive for a lot of reasons including fuel mileage. Trucks back in the day had a tailgate that was waist high or lower. Perfect for loading and unloading.

Anyway, I'm happy that Chrysler is getting nice kudos these days but I wish they would realize most people don't need monster truck ride height.
Height issue we agree with, but I think you are exaggerating on the price a bit.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,747 Posts
A 4x2 Tradesman Crew Cab is $30k + options & taxes

A 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab is $40k + options & taxes

*I think* that a Sport is the lowest model that you can get leather on, and a 4x4 Sport Crew Cab is $42k + leather & options & taxes
 

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
Joined
·
26,427 Posts
And no one is going to pay sticker price for a Ram truck anywhere in the country.

Especially with up to $9200 in incentives available on the Ram 1500

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,747 Posts
Unfortunately, the after rebate numbers are not what you see when you use the build & price online tool. I see just under $3k of incentives on a Sport Crew Cab
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
I paid 27k for my 2011 Big Horn 4x2 Crew Cab at the end of the model year. It was loaded with a MSRP of 38k. Love the truck!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Mike V. said:
And no one is going to pay sticker price for a Ram truck anywhere in the country.
Especially with up to $9200 in incentives available on the Ram 1500
Mike
I look through Automotive News and they show customer and dealer rebates and I dont see any numbers of $9200 even if the dealer and customer rebates are combined. Maybe the $9200 includes Chrysler's self proclaimed "package discounts"? Agree that most people dont pay sticker. Even so, the Laramie I saw on the dealer floor stickered for almost $50k. Back off some options and trim level and still looking at $40k+ which is too much money for many folks and who wants to pay well into the $30k range for a truck with limited options? Still a ton of money. As an aside, I'm talking 4WD trucks because you almost cant give away a used 2WD truck North of the Mason-Dixon.

Not just Ram with these prices. Ford, GM, and Toyota are pretty proud of their trucks too. :) I just don't know how people manage to buy these things or even some mid-sized cars. Saw that as of now 50% of USED car loans are for 7 years now. Holy cow!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top