Allpar Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ram moved up 20 positions in J.D. Power’s brand rankings this year, with 30% fewer problems reported in three-year Vehicle Dependability Survey (VDS).  The VDS looks at problems experienced in the previous year by owners of three year old (2010) vehicles; more than than 37,000 surveys are sent in, according to J.D. Power and Associates. Doug Betts, Chrysler quality chief, wrote, “After three years in service, owners are now experiencing the benefits of all the behind-the-scenes development we did, including enhanced durability testing and more stringent quality targets. The 2010 model year Ram Truck brand improvement bodes well for the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep® brands in the coming years. ... Many of the quality processes we initiated for the all-new Ram trucks were institutionalized across the board ...” Although Ram was the most improved vehicle in the survey, no Chrysler product managed to hit the top of any segment; the only Ram..

View the original, full post

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
It's mind boggling that VW continues to grow while it languished near the bottom in quality. Imports have a disconnect with the consumer.

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
Wow, that's a big increase.

Will be interesting to see the results once the 2011+ models are included

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Not good to see the rest of the brands sitting so low. But of course, the obvious flip side is is the bankruptcy was was 2009, which is also when 2010 MY would start (although IIRC it started late, partially because of that). In either case, if the new management has turned things around indeed, the results would not have yet been visible then, or barely so.
Ram benefited from having a tiny lineup of just trucks all of which were pretty much new at the time. While Fiat has been helpful, the Ram trucks were sort of the indication that they were starting to turn some things around. They were the first truly all around good vehicles to come out the gates (since the LXs had bad interiors, I don't count them) since probably 2002. (2004 if you count the Pacifica)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Agreed, I think we will have to wait till next year's results to truly see what kinds of gains were made.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Good news!

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
MoparNorm said:
It's mind boggling that VW continues to grow while it languished near the bottom in quality. Imports have a disconnect with the consumer.
Yep, it's unbelievable...and their cars are beyond boring too. Must be that they are good at advertising I guess...

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
I'm with you. That friend of mine that owns a Jetta (ie money pit) actually wants to look at another VW along with the Dart as a replacement. Blows my mind.

Every two weeks something else is broken on that dang car. Once it hit 90,000 miles its been a money pit since.

Mike

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
MoparNorm said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Perception is extremely important. You make a really good impression early on, and people may just be willing to overlook nickle-and-dime problems later on in the vehicle's life.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
vipermoon64 said:
Wow a lot of VW haters in here. I just gotta say, my car is far from boring
Haters?
No, just surprised people buy a low quality, overpriced car. Hardly hate, more like surprise.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Haters?
No, just surprised people buy a low quality, overpriced car. Hardly hate, more like surprise.
Well said. Ultimately the only thing wrong with VW is that it is not a Chrysler ;)

Mike

·
Administrator
35,237 Posts
Yes, it takes three years, because they are looking at three year old cars.

This is not a measure that's unduly influenced by dealer prep. The question is, once the cars are three years old, how reliable are they?

2010 was a bad year. Yes, the Ram was relaunched for 2009, and I think the Challenger as well, but morale was still low, the cost cutting of Daimler was still there in the factories, etc. They were training like mad and trying to beat it into plant managers' heads that yes, quality is king now.

The 2014 survey will be important. The 2015 survey will really tell us what's been going on.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Yes, it takes three years, because they are looking at three year old cars.

This is not a measure that's unduly influenced by dealer prep. The question is, once the cars are three years old, how reliable are they?

2010 was a bad year. Yes, the Ram was relaunched for 2009, and I think the Challenger as well, but morale was still low, the cost cutting of Daimler was still there in the factories, etc. They were training like mad and trying to beat it into plant managers' heads that yes, quality is king now.

The 2014 survey will be important. The 2015 survey will really tell us what's been going on.
Agreed. 2010 was the beginning of the change and next year should amaze all the non-allparians. It is quite appanrent that the problems this forum deals with regarding quality issues has taken a big drop on day to day postings.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
It takes 3 YEARS to compile the numbers ??
(2010 is ancient history)
This is the "Dependability" survey which is conducted on three year old vehicles, as opposed to their "Initial Quality" survey which is done on new cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts