Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Allpar has known of plans for the Ram 1500 diesel for years; by 2010, we had learned that the Cummins V6 had been packaged into the Ram engine bay. The Fiat purchase and falling gasoline prices put the project on hold until now. Today, Ram officially announced that they will build a Ram 1500 with the VM 3.0 diesel engine; while VM is owned by Fiat, the company has long supplied Chrysler with diesel engines for  vehicles sold outside of North America. The 3.0 liter V6 is a state of the art diesel which passes both American and European emissions tests, has strong power, low maintenance requirements, and good economy.  This is the same diesel engine used in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which will reduce training and inventory costs when compared with the also laudable Cummins V6 diesel (a completely different engine than the Cummins straight-six which will..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
Nice to see it official!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hopefully other diesel offerings in NA using the VM 3.0l engine will now follow.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Any idea of what the upcharge will be for the diesel? Glad to see it finally coming.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Well, we know it'll be more than the Hemi 8-speed option, but less than the Cummins option on the 2500, so $3000-$4000 over the base model would probably be a good guess.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great news. Have already talked to dealer about ordering one when they become available.

·
2,570 Posts
Too bad they didn't announce it a week earlier for the Chicago Auto show. It appears there is a 1 to 2 MPG penalty for the Pentastar Ram over the Grand Cherokee. I assume we are looking at 28 MPG hwy for the RWD, and 26 MPG for the 4x4.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Announcing it in Chicago would have likely overshadowed the North American debut of the 3.0L VM diesel - in the Ram ProMaster van.

I would love to see a 30MPG highway rating on the Ram 1500 diesel.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Several people in the know here at Allpar alluded to 30 mpg

·
Not THAT guy again!
1,099 Posts
Since the V6/8spd Ram and V6/8spd JGC comparison is close in terms of fuel consumption, couldn't we expect the same for the diesel engine comparison?

·
Administrator
35,230 Posts
The least Fiat could do would be to make one of them 2.9 or 3.1 liters ;) though ... if I know my European automakers, it'll be 2998 cc or something, to get JUST underneath the tax change.

It's "possible" the diesel will end up at 30 mpg if they gear it very carefully, program it very carefully, and prioritize gas mileage above all else. And use it on a regular cab short-bed ;)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
So there's a VM 2.8 4 cylinder diesel (currently in Euro Wrangler, among others), a VM 3.0 4 cylinder diesel (ProMaster) and a VM 3.0 6 cylinder diesel (Ram 1500), all concurrent?

·
Registered
269 Posts
abgwin said:
So there's a VM 2.8 4 cylinder diesel (currently in Euro Wrangler, among others), a VM 3.0 4 cylinder diesel (ProMaster) and a VM 3.0 6 cylinder diesel (Ram 1500), all concurrent?
I think it was noted above that the 3.0 4 cylinder was a mistype.

Now all I have to do is wait for one to get wrecked to put my new motor and tranny in my 2005 PW.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts