Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Allpar has known of plans for the Ram 1500 diesel for years; by 2010, we had learned that the Cummins V6 had been packaged into the Ram engine bay. The Fiat purchase and falling gasoline prices put the project on hold until now. Today, Ram officially announced that they will build a Ram 1500 with the VM 3.0 diesel engine; while VM is owned by Fiat, the company has long supplied Chrysler with diesel engines for  vehicles sold outside of North America. The 3.0 liter V6 is a state of the art diesel which passes both American and European emissions tests, has strong power, low maintenance requirements, and good economy.  This is the same diesel engine used in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which will reduce training and inventory costs when compared with the also laudable Cummins V6 diesel (a completely different engine than the Cummins straight-six which will..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
59 Posts
They should've stayed with the Cummins. Yeah, I know Fiat owns half of VM, but VM is no Cummins and the 3.0 VM is too wimpy for a pickup. Had a Cummins been used customers would line up just to get that engine. VM does not have the chops in the US market that the Cummins name carries.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
The 3.0L VM will be fine - it has more than enough torque (420 ft-lbs) for a light duty 1500. The Hemi is right around 400 ft-lbs. Don't need a 500-600 ft-lbt torque monster in the 1500 - otherwise you're encroaching on the HD trucks.

FYI - prior to Fiat, a V6 Cummins was in the works for the 1500 - it went away in the bankruptcy.

At least Ram will have a light duty diesel before Ford or GM or even Nissan (ummmm - that's where the Cummins is going).

I am willing to bet if it's priced right, they won't be able to keep them on the lots.....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Why's the picture of an HD?

·
Registered
1 Posts
mopar.muscle said:
They should've stayed with the Cummins. Yeah, I know Fiat owns half of VM, but VM is no Cummins and the 3.0 VM is too wimpy for a pickup. Had a Cummins been used customers would line up just to get that engine. VM does not have the chops in the US market that the Cummins name carries.
I too would have rather seen the small Cummins. I agree that Cummins is the best by far. As for too wimpy, 400 foot pounds, are you kidding. Large trucks all over the world use lower powered diesels for 10000 pound pay loads. What is this hangup people have with needing 800 foot pounds and 25000 pound hauling pickups. I have never, every seen a pickup hauling 25000 pounds. Other then ranchers or construction companies, the big Cummins 6 and Ford Power stroke are a waste of money.

As for the new VM, it's relatively new, around 2011 I think. It looks like a well built, strong engine. There is only one item I don't like and that is the 4 chain driven overhead cams. The chains and tension devices will be a weak point. Will these chains need replacement before 200,000? Gear drive is always better then 2 5 foot long chains but with overhead cams this is what we get.

Here is a link to some technical information on the motor and images

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1208dp_banks_vm_motori_630t_v6_diesel_engine/

If this engine is solid and I see nothing weak about it, this is the setup I have been waiting for.

If only it would come to market with a good MANUAL transmission I would be ready to buy. I hate automatic transmissions especially on diesels.

One thing for sure. This is a much better setup then something like the ecoboost V6. There is no way a small V6 gas motor can put out the power of this diesel while running at 6000 RPM and have any hope of long term durability. It will never go 200,000 mile with out a rebuild and the turbos will be lucky to make it to 100,000. The turbo replacement alone will equal the extra up front cost of this diesel.

The only issue people must learn to deal with is that a diesel will not rev up like a gas motor. It's job is to pull not race.

All and all this is good news for some of us.

J

·
0 Posts
A good manual would be nice...1500 with the VM 3.0 and a nice six-speed...I'm wondering what kind of mileage we'd be looking at?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
burnout said:
A good manual would be nice...1500 with the VM 3.0 and a nice six-speed...I'm wondering what kind of mileage we'd be looking at?
Guestimates for the '14 Jeep GC with the 3.0L VM are ~30 mpg hwy (with the 8 speed auto) so depending on the gearing I think a 1500 would come in around 28-30 mpg (hwy) as well. For comparison the '13 V6/8 speed is rated 18/25 and I've read the Hemi/8speed will come in around 18/22. My '06 QC 1500 w/Hemi & 545RFE is rated 15/19. FWIW I've kept a fuel log and over 170K miles it has averaged 17.4 mpg with a personal best of 21.02 mpg. Not bad for a V8.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts