Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Automated System
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

MoparDrt caught two Ram diesels being tested around Michigan roads, with the EcoDiesel fender tags and “US Spec Diesel” labels over the filler caps. One is a high-end LongHorn edition; the other did not have trim markings. Sources believe the VM diesel will be a roughly $2,000 - $3,000 option over the V6 engine; Ram officials have already said it will come with the eight-speed automatic and be capable of towing over 9,000 pounds with the appropriate tow packages. That's considerably less than the Hemi, but more than enough for most buyers. No official fuel mileage figures have been released, though we believe highway mileage should come in at 26-28 mpg. While diesel fuel remains pricier than gasoline, fuel mileage when towing is generally far higher with diesel engines, which tend to have high torque and relatively low horsepower; the Ram 1500 diesel is rated at 240 hp, 420..

View the original, full post
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,074 Posts
I do like the price over the V6, much more reasonable than the $6-10K pricetag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Well,

If we can just get them to put the diesel motor in the Durango and the next generation Jeep Wrangler, all will be well.

Thorack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,074 Posts
Hard to say what extra beefing up is necessary to put this little diesel into any vehicle, might take a little bit to figure that out, it may be pretty equal to the Hemi under the hood. The truck has the advantage of already being beefed up what with the Cummins under the hood.
 

·
Virginia Gentleman
Joined
·
14,675 Posts
dana44 said:
Hard to say what extra beefing up is necessary to put this little diesel into any vehicle, might take a little bit to figure that out, it may be pretty equal to the Hemi under the hood. The truck has the advantage of already being beefed up what with the Cummins under the hood.
Cummins is in the HD 2500/3500's, not the 1500's where the 3.0L VM diesel is going. I think weight wise the 3.0L is very comparable to the Hemi.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,074 Posts
Yes, but the difference in the frame is the suspension for the 2500/3500, the frame itself could be used more easily for the V6 diesel, so a lot of the work is technically already done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Well,

The diesel is in the Jeep Grand Cherokee so most of the work for the Durango is done. For the Wrangler its probably a whole nother ballgame though.

Thorack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
As long as the EcoDiesel doesn't end up with "E-D" badging, like Toyotas TRD (turd) badging. That would lead to a lot of Viagra jokes. Hope they are wise about this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
PCRMike said:
As long as the EcoDiesel doesn't end up with "E-D" badging, like Toyotas TRD (turd) badging. That would lead to a lot of Viagra jokes. Hope they are wise about this.
E-D, eh guess you need some wood with your truck, I can see it now. Never noticed the Toyota Turd. Sounds like the Chevy Nova in Spanish=No-Go. Sales were light for the Nova in Mexico.

Thorack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
dana44 said:
Yes, but the difference in the frame is the suspension for the 2500/3500, the frame itself could be used more easily for the V6 diesel, so a lot of the work is technically already done.
I'm not saying it can't be done but just as a FYI, the engine position is different between the 1500 & 25-3500. Side to side by 50 mm for better drive shaft angles (t case drop) and fore aft by I can't remember (35 ish mm) to accomidate the Cummins. Also the frame rail spacing is narrower on the 25&35's to shorten the turning radius.
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,129 Posts
Allpar News System said:
MoparDrt caught two Ram diesels being tested around Michigan roads, with the EcoDiesel fender tags and “US Spec Diesel” labels over the filler caps. One is a high-end LongHorn edition; the other did not have trim markings. Sources believe the VM diesel will be a roughly $2,000 - $3,000 option over the V6 engine; Ram officials have already said it will come with the eight-speed automatic and be capable of towing over 9,000 pounds with the appropriate tow packages. That's considerably less than the Hemi, but more than enough for most buyers. No official fuel mileage figures have been released, though we believe highway mileage should come in at 26-28 mpg. While diesel fuel remains pricier than gasoline, fuel mileage when towing is generally far higher with diesel engines, which tend to have high torque and relatively low horsepower; the Ram 1500 diesel is rated at 240 hp, 420..View the original, full post
A couple of comments, regarding the story;
Diesel is cheaper than gasoline in several states, so diesel is not universally pricier than gasoline. When towing, diesel fuel economy is more constant while gasoline drops to about 60% of maximum efficiently. (It's that old BTU thing)
The 420 lb ft of torque is more than the Hemi, so the towing rating is likely less dependent upon the engine than some other factors, such as trans tuning, cooling, etc.
As for the other comments regarding the 1500. It's frame is completely different than the 2500-3500, as noted by JTE.
 

·
Vaguely badass...
Joined
·
43,887 Posts
PCRMike said:
As long as the EcoDiesel doesn't end up with "E-D" badging, like Toyotas TRD (turd) badging. That would lead to a lot of Viagra jokes. Hope they are wise about this.
I would hardly lose any sleep over this. Was there ever any indication they would even do such a thing?

On the other hand, you've given millions of Internet commenters a great idea to go along with all the Cummins versus PowerStroke jokes, so nice job there. ;)


MoparNorm said:
Diesel is cheaper than gasoline in several states, so diesel is not universally pricier than gasoline.
True - all depends on the area. Locally to me, diesel is around $3.759 and up, while unleaded is at $3.599 and up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
MoparNorm said:
A couple of comments, regarding the story;
Diesel is cheaper than gasoline in several states, so diesel is not universally pricier than gasoline. When towing, diesel fuel economy is more constant while gasoline drops to about 60% of maximum efficiently. (It's that old BTU thing)
The 420 lb ft of torque is more than the Hemi, so the towing rating is likely less dependent upon the engine than some other factors, such as trans tuning, cooling, etc.
As for the other comments regarding the 1500. It's frame is completely different than the 2500-3500, as noted by JTE.
and isn't the EcoDiesel pricing already a known quantity and it's more like $2650 more then the Hemi... and more like $4000 more than the Pentastar V6?

the EcoDiesel is also substantially lighter weight than the 6.7L Cummins; concerns about the 1500 needing any beefing to house a 3.0L engine are unwarranted.... the low tow rating is disappointing though and it's obviously an issue with other components of the vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
It's only been rated with 3.21 & 3.55 gears yet. The 3.55 best was rated at 9,200 but the Hemi in the same configuration was only rated at 9,050. NADA lists it tri be available with the 3.92. If so it would likely have a rating of a lil more than 10,500 in max tow configuration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Ramfan said:
It's only been rated with 3.21 & 3.55 gears yet. The 3.55 best was rated at 9,200 but the Hemi in the same configuration was only rated at 9,050. NADA lists it tri be available with the 3.92. If so it would likely have a rating of a lil more than 10,500 in max tow configuration.
I'm hoping I can order a 3.92 when I order my truck. The double overdrive of the tf8 will keep the rpm plenty low enough at highway speed in this configuration (17-1800 rpm at 70 iirc).
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,129 Posts
kscumminsdriver said:
and isn't the EcoDiesel pricing already a known quantity and it's more like $2650 more then the Hemi... and more like $4000 more than the Pentastar V6?

the EcoDiesel is also substantially lighter weight than the 6.7L Cummins; concerns about the 1500 needing any beefing to house a 3.0L engine are unwarranted.... the low tow rating is disappointing though and it's obviously an issue with other components of the vehicle.
As was mentioned, the 1500 frame is different and the Cummins never went into a 1500.
Although I agree that it shouldn't have been a problem, there are packaging issues and crash testing requirements that can cause the most weird and unknown affects, for the engineers to deal with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
The 2014 build & price beta lists the option of 3.92 gears on an Ecodiesel truck, I am guessing it will have a max tow rating of around 10,500 to 10,700. Although it appears Ram wants you focused on what mileage you can get as opposed to how much it can pull. I would say that is the best strategy for Ram with this truck. I think a 2wd with 3.21s will get 30 hwy which would be great especially for advertising.

I hope Ram offers the HD 1500 Tradesman again much like they did in 2012. Only this time also offer it with the Ecodiesel & the CC with 6.5 bed. I'm ready to order this truck if Ram decides it will offer the option to build one. The 3,000ish pound payload instead of the regular 1,500ish payload (Built on a 2500 platform) would make it they ideal choice for me. Otherwise I am still debating between the 1500 & the 2500.
 

·
Virginia Gentleman
Joined
·
14,675 Posts
Ramfan said:
The 3,000ish pound payload instead of the regular 1,500ish payload (Built on a 2500 platform) would make it they ideal choice for me.
At that point it's no longer a "half ton" pickup truck.......if you need a 3,000 lb payload, a 1500 is not the truck for you. Even a 2500 would be hard put to handle 3,000 lbs.........it's payload is 2500 lbs at best.
 

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
Joined
·
8,808 Posts
Doug D said:
At that point it's no longer a "half ton" pickup truck.......if you need a 3,000 lb payload, a 1500 is not the truck for you. Even a 2500 would be hard put to handle 3,000 lbs.........it's payload is 2500 lbs at best.
I once heard that this was a problem in the military CUCV program. "I still have room in the bed, throw more ammo cans in." The frame breaks on the next major bump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
No the 1500 HD tradesman was not based on a half ton truck. As noted by parentheses it was built on the 2500. I never said i need a 3,000 pound payload. I said it would be ideal. The reason I said that is because on occation I might benefit from having the option of putting more than 1500 pounds in the bed. You can check Rams build & price website you can build 2500s with a max payload of a little over 3,000 lbs.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top