Allpar Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,801 Posts
Understood, but this thread is about the 1500 w/diesel. You getting a little off track with the 2500's. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
No offence taken. But where else would you talk about a 1500 Tradesman HD & optioning it with the Ecodiesel?

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
The 1500 Tradesman HD was a one-year-only vehicle if I remember right, basically an experiment. They never built anything but regular cab, long-bed versions, and their use of the front clip from the 1500 precluded the installation of the Cummins. I expect that had there been a diesel that would fit under the 1500's front clip, it may have been available in such a truck, but the truck is an aberration in that it could serve to cannibalize sales from the more-expensive 2500 line. That's probably why they never offered regular cab, short bed or any crew cab version.

If I ran RAM, I'd offer the 1500-type front clip on any truck whose powerplant can accommodate it, basically as a no-cost option. Anyone not buying a Cummins truck could have a nicer look that way.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There were also gen III 1500 HDs. The only ones I have seen were based on the Mega Cab. The picture Alpar showed with info of the 2012 showed a 1500 cab n bed but was probably just a regular 1500 tradesman. I didn't think to look for the 8 lug wheels.

Anyway if Ram ever offered another 1500 HD it would not likely have the Cummins so it would have substantially less towing capacity than the 2500. So it should not canabalize many sales from the 2500. I don't know that Ford or Chevys 150/1500 HDs canabalize sales from their 250/2500. It would likely be a low production mostly by order special purpose or tweener truck.

I know they only offered the 2012 in a RC but they now offer a 1500 with a CC & 6.5' bed like the 2500 so I would think Ram could also offer it in that configure.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
If I remember, the Gen III 1500 Megacab was a 2500's frame, but a 1500's suspension etc. I expect that it was cheaper to take the existing 2500's frame and use it for the Megacab than it would have been to develop another frame.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The 1500 MegaCab was basically a decal package with minor spring and shock tuning. Marketing didn't want to ignore the 1500 shoppers and management didn't want to develop a new frame for a vehicle that no one knew would be accepted by anyone outside Texas. Not to mention the truck was too heavy right out of the box to fit 1500 qualifications, IMO. Also nothing is interchangeable between 15 & 2500 chassis' in case you want to build your own.

TWX said:
If I remember, the Gen III 1500 Megacab was a 2500's frame, but a 1500's suspension etc. I expect that it was cheaper to take the existing 2500's frame and use it for the Megacab than it would have been to develop another frame.
This is correct if you substitute "suspension" with springs and shocks, even then they're 2500 pieces with unique rates for 1500 buyers.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Well, five-lug wheels, so the axles and brakes are different...

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've never seen any five lug, if so I stand corrected.

One issue with my job at JTE was that trucks were in my shop two to four years before production and I'm not always up to date on the releases.

The MegaCab was one of those fun projects where we put a short box on a long frame then filled in the space with back seat, then ran it up the flagpole.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Now I'm having some trouble finding an example picture... I could have SWORN that they were five-lug, as the idea came to me to buy one and swap 3/4 ton running gear underneath...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe the 1500 HDs were 8 lug as it seems allpar had it listed that way but I can't find it back to confirm.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,801 Posts
Ramfan said:
I believe the 1500 HDs were 8 lug as it seems allpar had it listed that way but I can't find it back to confirm.
Yes, I believe the MegaCabs were 8 lugs. When I have looked up rear brake rotors for my '06 Quad Cab, the rotors for the Mega's are different - they have 8 holes - not five.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Well, I guess I was incorrect then. I'm curious as to how they downrated them, or if they even did downrate them, for a more typical 1500's GVWR...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts