Allpar Forums banner

AN: Ram HD 6.4 official

5K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  dakrt99 
#1 ·

Today, Ram CEO Reid Bigland officially announced the 6.4 liter gasoline engine’s availability in all Ram trucks from the Ram 2500 to Ram 5500; bringing in the gasoline engine will dramatically increase the competitiveness of Ram 2500 and 3500, according to the company. Rated at 470 hp in SRT cars, but retuned to meet the needs of truck buyers, the new 6.4 liter gasoline engine produces 410 horsepower and 429 lb-ft of torque. The diesel was, according to a Ram engineer, designed from the ground up for trucks; it includes an active runner intake, for both low end torque and high end power. The power ratings are best in class.  It delivers the same torque as a key competitor, but at lower engine speeds. The company also announced that the link/coil rear suspension design of the Ram 1500 will be used in the Ram 2500 and Ram 3500 as..

View the original, full post

See less See more
#2 ·
Dave: a couple things:

Rated at 470 hp in SRT cars, but retuned to meet the needs of truck buyers, the new 6.4 liter gasoline engine produces 410 horsepower and 429 lb-ft of torque. The diesel was, according to a Ram engineer, designed from the ground up for trucks; it includes an active runner intake, for both low end torque and high end power. The power ratings are best in class. It delivers the same torque as a key competitor, but at lower engine speeds.
Isn't this about the 6.4?

and

The company also announced that the link/coil rear suspension design of the Ram 1500 will be used in the Ram 2500 and Ram 3500 as well; this will, according to a company spokesman, dramatically improve the pickups’ handling and ride, without reducing cargo or towing capacity. The Ram 25000 will also have an optional active air suspension.

#4 ·
Stratuscaster said:
Forgive the errors...Dave's actually on-site for the event and running on the fly. We'll get them fixed later.

They spoke about both the 6.4 and the 3.0 EcoDiesel in the HD...
Ok cool.

Hoping to see some more stuff!

#10 ·
CNT900 said:
Good numbers, but GM will surpass them when their next generation HD's debut in late 2014 with their direct injection Gen. V V-8's. Hopefully not by much.....
As far as trucks go, you can disregard the numbers. I have driven these trucks, from Dodge/Ram, Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Nissan; the Mopars can beat them all hands down in a drag race. Put a trailer on the back, and/or a nice sized load in the bed, and it's not even close. The Ram's are hands down the performance kings. The numbers matter not. Also, the Ram trannies are far better, the Toy's and Nissans are nice, but they aren't in league with a 2500 towing 5000+, and carrying 2000+. The Rams have MUCH fewer engine (and total running gear) problems. The last Ram I drove regularly was 2008, but I have driven the new ones, just not regularly. The interiors are far better, but I can't speak to the durability of the more recent Rams.

The Chevy bodies are nowhere near as ding and everyday use resistant as the Ram's. Of the 2013's I have driven, the Ram is the clear winner, no contest. The 2014's should be even better.

#11 ·
redhed said:
i hate to be a pita...but only 429 lb/ft from the 6.4l?? i really expected closer to 450 lb/ft :-(
I have to agree with you, I know it's not really a fair comparison to judge the numbers between the '94 8.0 and the '14 6.4, but when the V10 was reworked for the truck it lost very little torque, about 3% of the original output. The 6.4 is losing about 13% of it's torque output in this configuration. I have no doubt it will sell but have to wonder with the numbers published if there will be that much of an advantage over the 5.7, we are after all only talking around about 30 HP and 30 ft-lbs of torque. Admittedly I'm not in the market for a HD truck nor have I driven one in quite a while so what do I know, I guess time will tell.

#14 ·
Everyone needs to keep in mind that this is a work truck.

But, this now may allow for an SRT version.....

#15 ·
I'm telling you, the numbers aren't going to matter on the road.

I don't care how much power Chevy or Ford says their stuff will make, the Ram will out tow and out haul them. I have driven everything out there, 2500-4500, Ford Chevy, and Ram, 1999-2013.

Erik Latranyi said:
Everyone needs to keep in mind that this is a work truck.

But, this now may allow for an SRT version.....
Well, Ford DID just intro their latest performace oriented truck. This isn't what I would call SRT territory, rather it is more along the lines of their old Lightning. But, since the blue oval has a hat i nthe ring, mebbe that'll prod Mopar to intro something. I'd like to see an SRT Hellcat Ram, and a maybe a successor to the Warlock(4x4)/LRET(2x4).

http://wot.motortrend.com/365-hp-2014-ford-f-150-tremor-sport-truck-revealed-381913.html#axzz2XYd04qdQ

#17 ·
drew54 said:
Until we see dyno charts and can see the torque curve, there is no reason to get overly critical.
Historically, Dodge has detuned, and/or modified car engines for truck duty. Among the few exceptions were the 383.
Truck motors had longevity and durability added into them. Valve rotators, sodium filled valve stems, lower compression, were among the old school changes made, to make these motors last.
Fleet owners care more about engine life and cost to operate, than how fast the load gets to the next stoplight.
Marketing Departments started this power frenzy, but it serves little purpose for the majority of truck users and private owners focused on fuel costs and maintenance intervals.
This motor gives Dodge Ram a patch in their lineup, so that the mostly obsolete big displacement engines from GM and Ford, don't have bragging rights over Ram.

#18 ·
What mostly obsolete engines? The Ford 6.2 is brand new from the ground up - just released in 2010. It's SOHC and has VCT, with provisions for a DOHC VVT head in the future if needed.

The GM 6.2 is relatively new engine, based on a design from just 1998, and it's been totally redesigned for the next model year with VVT and DI.

#19 ·
AutoTechnician said:
What mostly obsolete engines? The Ford 6.2 is brand new from the ground up - just released in 2010. It's SOHC and has VCT, with provisions for a DOHC VVT head in the future if needed.

The GM 6.2 is relatively new engine, based on a design from just 1998, and it's been totally redesigned for the next model year with VVT and DI.
Look to the future CAFE regulations and the price of fuel. Big block V8's are an increasing luxury.

#20 ·
Muther said:
I'm telling you, the numbers aren't going to matter on the road.

I don't care how much power Chevy or Ford says their stuff will make, the Ram will out tow and out haul them. I have driven everything out there, 2500-4500, Ford Chevy, and Ram, 1999-2013.

Well, Ford DID just intro their latest performace oriented truck. This isn't what I would call SRT territory, rather it is more along the lines of their old Lightning. But, since the blue oval has a hat i nthe ring, mebbe that'll prod Mopar to intro something. I'd like to see an SRT Hellcat Ram, and a maybe a successor to the Warlock(4x4)/LRET(2x4).

http://wot.motortrend.com/365-hp-2014-ford-f-150-tremor-sport-truck-revealed-381913.html#axzz2XYd04qdQ
The Tremor... LOL, the Ram R/T has that thing covered already.

Ford makes me giggle.

Mike

#21 ·
MoparNorm said:
Look to the future CAFE regulations and the price of fuel. Big block V8's are an increasing luxury.
They're not really "big blocks" though. A GM 6.2 is the same size as a GM 4.8L V8. Big displacement, sure. These large heavy duty trucks are not even tested for fuel economy, and from what I've seen, the latest round of engines are capable of getting 14-15, sometimes even 16 MPG unloaded in a 3/4-1 ton truck, which is very impressive.

#23 ·
AutoTechnician said:
. These large heavy duty trucks are not even tested for fuel economy.
That started to change in 2012, with pickups over 8,500lbs required to meet standards in 2014. By 2017, the truck fleet must average 25 mpg.

#25 ·
MoparNorm said:
That started to change in 2012, with pickups over 8,500lbs required to meet standards in 2014. By 2017, the truck fleet must average 25 mpg.
A CAFE average of 25 MPG, that equates to a window sticker rating of roughly 19 MPG. Even the current 4WD3.6 V6 meets that. The V8 RAMs are close at ~17. Add in the 3.0VM Ram 1500, and Chrysler will have no problem meeting those requirements. The V6 and Diesel 1500s will keep allowing them to sell V8 gasoline HD trucks and diesels.

#26 ·
AutoTechnician said:
A CAFE average of 25 MPG, that equates to a window sticker rating of roughly 19 MPG. Even the current 4WD3.6 V6 meets that. The V8 RAMs are close at ~17. Add in the 3.0VM Ram 1500, and Chrysler will have no problem meeting those requirements. The V6 and Diesel 1500s will keep allowing them to sell V8 gasoline HD trucks and diesels.
I don't disagree, I was responding to the statement, "that these trucks are not even tested", which implied there are no CAFE standards for HD pickups. I should be noted that while " Chrysler will have no problem" in the short term, those standards will climb to 30 mpg eventually.
Again doable, but still a cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.