Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
LtjimT said:
The big questions to be answered (for me) are its mileage rating, payload, and tow capacity. It should provide very good mileage, particularily on the highway. It may have a negative effect on payload as an article in one of the mags indicated about 100 lb increase for exhaust tx and def system (over hemi/8spd). When the 2014 owners manual was on line briefly I believe the max tow number was lower than hemi/ 8-speed. Will 3.92 rearend ratio be available? Hopefull this information will be available soon. Name doesn't bother me. :thumbsup:
It has more torque than the 5.7, so likely the towing rating is governed more by other factors and not by the engine. Gear ratio, transmission, brakes, cooling and electrical systems, all play a part in towing rating.
That hundred lbs is easily overcome by the higher torque rating, however if the rating is lower, it's primarily because they want to start out conservatively. The fuel economy improvement will be the main selling point.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am very surprised they would announce another application for this engine when they obviously can't get the first application into production for some reason. The diesel Grand Cherokee was shown at the Detroit auto show in January, then Mike Manley said at the New York auto show at the end of March it would be arriving at dealerships "next month." Here it is almost July and they still aren't available. This seems to be the MO for Chrysler these days - the PR machine is getting way out ahead of the production machine, either by design or due to overly ambitious launch plans. I finally got tired of waiting and bought a VW Touareg TDI.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
You mean there's still time to change the name!!!

Thanks

Randy

·
Registered
10 Posts
It truly concerns me not one of you up to this point have mentioned the absence of a Manual Transmission. Its not even an option. Im speechless in dissapointment.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
Although I personally like stick and I can hear where you're coming from, the take-rate of manual transmissions over automatics is so low that it may not be even worth offering it.
A clutch can't multiply torque like a torque converter can.
With the lock-up converter and an overdrive ratio in the automatic, there is little if any fuel economy penalty.
The turbo will spool up on acceleration with an automatic and stay spooled up until the desired speed is reached.
It may not have been able to make its awesome 50-state emission certification with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
681 Posts
A manual trans hasn't been available on a 1500 Ram for years. Also, on lighter vehicles trailer towing is discouraged because of people's tendency to slip the clutch to get the load moving.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
I get that some might be viewing a Ram 1500 Diesel as somewhat of a "hot rod" and therefore would be interested in a manual...
In addition to IC's excellent explanation, it should also be noted that the one remaining advantage of a manual, the ability to over rev, is wasted in a low rpm Diesel engine.
The diesel will perform more efficiently with an automatic behind it.

I too appreciate the nuances of a manual shifter, however the modern automatic with engine management excels in efficiently and application.
AFAIK, Dodge Ram is the only pickup with a manual in their HD lineup. This truck is not an HD.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
What worries me is people are going to see diesel and think peterbuilt (like they do with there Cummins) and there going to put 36 hay rolls on it and then complain that the truck is crap because it spends more time at the dealer then hook to a trailer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am waiting on the tow, payload, rear axle ratios, etc. I think it will be excellent for the mid level towing I am looking for which is in the 6,000 lb range ( travel trailer wet weight) and very good as a regular driver and trip vehicle unemcumbered. Comparing it to similarly equipped hemi/8speed. I do hope the payload is not adversely affected as Ram in higher trim levels is a little light. We have a Liberty CRD and the VM motori engine has been trouble free and returns good fuel economy. Hope more info is forthcoming.

·
Registered
113 Posts
LtjimT, I am awaiting the same info. Also if Ram is going to offer a HD again for 2014 as the numbers Allpar recently listed for the max 1500 tow & payload were the same as the 2012 HD. I sort of doubt it but if they do I will buy one. I still wonder also if the 420 TQ number is final for the 2014 Ram as they said it would be class leading in torque. Currently Ford would still hold that with 434 TQ with their 6.2 assuming they offer it again in 2014.

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/dodge/2013-ram-powertrain.html

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Ramfan said:
LtjimT, I am awaiting the same info. Also if Ram is going to offer a HD again for 2014 as the numbers Allpar recently listed for the max 1500 tow & payload were the same as the 2012 HD. I sort of doubt it but if they do I will buy one. I still wonder also if the 420 TQ number is final for the 2014 Ram as they said it would be class leading in torque. Currently Ford would still hold that with 434 TQ with their 6.2 assuming they offer it again in 2014.http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/dodge/2013-ram-powertrain.html
Class leading means V6 Class leading, not in competition with the ford V8.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So when Ram said class leading they didn't mean 1/2 tons they only meant V6s? Really?..

·
Super Moderator
37,239 Posts
It is not uncommon to consider a V6 (gas), V8 (gas) and diesel all a different class of 1/2 ton pickup.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,798 Posts
Ramfan said:
LtjimT, I am awaiting the same info. Also if Ram is going to offer a HD again for 2014 as the numbers Allpar recently listed for the max 1500 tow & payload were the same as the 2012 HD. I sort of doubt it but if they do I will buy one. I still wonder also if the 420 TQ number is final for the 2014 Ram as they said it would be class leading in torque. Currently Ford would still hold that with 434 TQ with their 6.2 assuming they offer it again in 2014.

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/dodge/2013-ram-powertrain.html
It would be interesting to see the hp/torque curves for the 3.0L (Diesel) vs the 6.2L (gas). I'll bet the 3.0L has more usable torque. The 5.7L torque doesn't really come into play until it's over 2500 rpms. The Hemi can do nearly the same work as the 3.0L, but it'll drink gobs of fuel while doing so. I'll be the Ford 6.2L is similar.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Agreed you won't have to spin the diesel to get the torque and yea I bet it only uses half the fuel of the 6.2 when towing heavy. Just saying I bet with tune intake & exhaust track changes for the Ram they could or could have got the max torque at something a lil north of ford's 434 instead of 420 to make good on.. well at least how I took that statement.

I don't believe Ram meant in comparison to only the V6s in the half ton class as it wasn't stated that way but I guess it's possible as one of the Ecodiesels direct competitors is the V6 Ecoboost gasser that is also rated at 420 TQ.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I hope the specs come out soon. I've been researching/studing this stuff for awhile and now my wife is bugging me about when am I going to order new truck! I am really looking forward to it whether its 3.0 diesel or the hemi. Diesel economy would be nice and hemi HP fun. :thumbsup:

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Ramfan said:
Agreed you won't have to spin the diesel to get the torque and yea I bet it only uses half the fuel of the 6.2 when towing heavy. Just saying I bet with tune intake & exhaust track changes for the Ram they could or could have got the max torque at something a lil north of ford's 434 instead of 420 to make good on.. well at least how I took that statement.

I don't believe Ram meant in comparison to only the V6s in the half ton class as it wasn't stated that way but I guess it's possible as one of the Ecodiesels direct competitors is the V6 Ecoboost gasser that is also rated at 420 TQ.
Remember, this is MARKETING, not Engineering. Marketing will break down anything into minutia in order to be "best". Even if it means the best V6 diesel with power windows and stow and go used with climate control, in Red.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts