Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Italian web site al Volante reported details on the gasoline-powered turbo V6 currently being produced by Ferrari for use in the Maserati Ghibli. According to al Volante, the 3.0 V6 uses the architecture of the Chrysler Pentastar engine family, adding credence to statements made by Allpar sources in the past. The heads are made locally by Ferrari, which is making 30 engines per day at the moment, and expects to hit 50 per day by August. The 3.0 liter V6 produces 410 horsepower, and until now there has been no official confirmation that it was based on Chrysler’s work (the report was based on al Volante’s visit to the factory). Thanks to RVC for providing this update.

View the original, full post

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
It lppks like happy days are just around the corner. May be way more exciting than the 1960s for MOPAR people. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Apparently that's the current trend for the putative 'luxury/high end sporty models' these days: base their engines on more 'plebeian' mass market motors; Ford did do with Aston Martin using the 4.6L V8 just before the latter was cut loose and now Maserati on the Pentastar. Both engines are proving to be quite durable.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
Are the the Sizes of the Water Passages in the Block to the W/P Any Bigger ?

The Question How Many RPM did I Say Enzo Anselmo Ferrari Was Spinning ?

Just Asking to see If Anyone Was Paying Attention.

TMD :thumbsup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm hoping this may mean an SRT-6 in the future.

·
Registered
325 Posts
mopartodd said:
I doubt they'd use the full Maserati version on an SRT application, but certainly some of the technical solutions could easily find their way into some higher specced pentastar for high performance mopars.

BTW, I love that ferrari/Maserati have finally ditched the chip on their shoulder and admitted that the Pentastar was a pretty good starting base for a high performance V6.

hey, look, it's the PENTASTELLA!

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
M.O.D. said:
I doubt they'd use the full Maserati version on an SRT application, but certainly some of the technical solutions could easily find their way into some higher specced pentastar for high performance mopars.
Likely, if they did attempt something, they'd at least use the Maserati heads.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
mopartodd said:
I'm dreaming of this too!

Next-gen SRT 200?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Too logical to not be true, just as the Mercedes M276 3.5 V6 is based on Pentastar.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Comes from? Based upon? Uh, no.

That IS a (turbocharged) Pentastar V6.

I've seen enough of them to know.

Head looks slightly different, (exhaust) but other than that...

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Likely, if they did attempt something, they'd at least use the Maserati heads.
Thats what I'm thinking but Chrysler would probably come up with a mass production version. SRT avenger anyone?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
guyver[this word has been banned due to its use as a pointless flame tool said:
y]I think a 350 HP Pentastar V6 (turbocharged or supercharged) would make a nice SRT-6. :)
Rumors are the Maserati version is over 400..., that would make a better SRT. ;)

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
guyver[this word has been banned due to its use as a pointless flame tool said:
y]Would that make its way to a SRT Challenger is the question....
Probably not, but it's fun to speculate.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Rumors are the Maserati version is over 400..., that would make a better SRT. ;)
It's 410hp. Not really a rumor, it's been on sale for 4mo. ;)
This same V6 engine is also sold with a 330hp powerstep (only for the Chinese specific Quattroporte, and for the Ghibli). It's got more in it than 410 anyways hehehehee

marlon_jbt said:
Comes from? Based upon? Uh, no.That IS a (turbocharged) Pentastar V6.I've seen enough of them to know.Head looks slightly different, (exhaust) but other than that...
Are you sure? This should be images of an M276 block, and it sure doesn't look anything like a Pentastar:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I was talking about the "Maserati" V6, not the Mercedes M276. I will agree that those two engines look nothing alike and I wonder if they share anything at all.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
marlon_jbt said:
I was talking about the "Maserati" V6, not the Mercedes M276. I will agree that those two engines look nothing alike and I wonder if they share anything at all.
My bad, I thought you were referring to the Mercedes comment. ;)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts