Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chrysler executives have confirmed that the Volkswagen Routan, essentially a reskinned Chrysler Town & Country  with different suspension tuning, has been dropped. Allpar first reported on the end of Routan production in November 2012, but it was not officially declared at the time. Some critics preferred the styling and ride of the Volkswagen Routan to the Dodge and Chrysler vans.

View the original, full post

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I'm assuming the continuing feud between Marchionne and VW didn't help.
Maybe after VW buys Alfa, production will resume using the new downsized Chrysler CUV without sliding doors...or purpose... ;)

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
My guess the overall crappy sales of the Routan and the expiration of the existing contract build had more to do with it.
Chicken or the egg, which came first?
I'd surmise that marketing by VW and negotiations by Chrysler, were less than wholehearted. ;)

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I kinda wanted a Routan but with out a dealer close, getting service or warranty would be a pain.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I liked the styling of the routan and thought it looked better than the original version of the existing vans. It had softer lines when Chrysler went all square.

Things are better now, but the tail of the Routan I still think has tops.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
Routan Been DEAD for a Long Time. No One Bothered to Tell VW.

Besides We Can Better Use 3.6L's & Windsor Production.

Also It's a Bad Memory from They Who's Name I Won't Say.

TMD :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Definetly the best looking of the 3 Chryco produced. They actually sold quite a few of them around here, see them all the time .

·
Car Freak
2,089 Posts
A guy I know who works for a VW dealership (and thinks they're god's gift o the word) said that VW had to pay alot of money to end the contract with Chrysler because the vans were junk, unreliable and were bad for VW's reputation...

I told him to get a grip...

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Ian said:
A guy I know who works for a VW dealership (and thinks they're god's gift o the word) said that VW had to pay alot of money to end the contract with Chrysler because the vans were junk, unreliable and were bad for VW's reputation...
I think the service guy was upset because they weren't getting enough out of warranty repairs on the minivans, unlike all of the other VW models.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Consumers have moved beyond "badge engineering", was bad idea at the time and it is still a bad idea. If someone wants a VW minivan, they want a VW not a Chrysler with a VW badge.
Same can be said about the Lancia Thema and Voyager products.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Ian said:
said that VW had to pay alot of money to end the contract with Chrysler because the vans were junk, unreliable and were bad for VW's reputation...
What reputation? That of producing overpriced junk, or that of selling some of the least reliable overpriced crap out there? ;)

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
The only shame of it is that, in my opinion, Routan had the nicest exterior styling and the most pleasing suspension tuning. I still hold that opinion after the 2011 minivan redesigns. I believe, though, that the next generation Chrysler minivans will put VW's future microbus to shame.

Anyone remember the last VW attempt at a minivan? They managed to simultaneously have the worst handling, worst acceleration, worst gas mileage, smallest interior, and highest price.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Ian said:

I told him to get a grip...
Was that guy a standup comedian? ;)

·
Registered
699 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
The only shame of it is that, in my opinion, Routan had the nicest exterior styling and the most pleasing suspension tuning. I still hold that opinion after the 2011 minivan redesigns. I believe, though, that the next generation Chrysler minivans will put VW's future microbus to shame.

Anyone remember the last VW attempt at a minivan? They managed to simultaneously have the worst handling, worst acceleration, worst gas mileage, smallest interior, and highest price.
The first attempt at a minivan was the VW Microbus. My father had one, (before the hippies got hold of the concept;)
it had side windows and more windows where the roof meets the body. We took a trip out west with it, and it took for ever because it topped out at 57 mph with a tail wind....

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Was that guy a standup comedian? ;)
Sounds like a master of "PR spin"

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Maybe Chrysler will use the Routan D pillar shape for which ever minivan it keeps. That slight radius at the bottom of the side glass makes all the difference in the world.

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
The first attempt at a minivan was the VW Microbus.
Only if you ignore all the vehicles before it. The basic form factor goes back. Remember, in the early age of the car, there were numerous body styles for any car. You can find predecessors to the Microbus quite easily, albeit not with the same popularity or add-ons.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
VW seems to have done a pretty good job at copying the Jeep GC with the Cross Blue concept. Though the front end looks more Ford than Jeep.

·
Registered
699 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Only if you ignore all the vehicles before it. The basic form factor goes back. Remember, in the early age of the car, there were numerous body styles for any car. You can find predecessors to the Microbus quite easily, albeit not with the same popularity or add-ons.
Could you be referring to Bucky Fuller's Dymaxion of 1933?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts